+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Toshiba A120 in Technical; I have 2 Toshiba Sat Pro A120 laptops here and they've both developed a similar problem with projectors. The one ...

Thank Post

Toshiba A120

I have 2 Toshiba Sat Pro A120 laptops here and they've both developed a similar problem with projectors.

The one doesn't seem to have any VGA output at all, I've tried every display setting I can find, updated drivers and different cables. I tested the projector on my laptop and it's fine. I've tried the A120 on other projectors and it doesn't work at all. It doesn't even display the boot-up screens, so I reckon it's a hardware issue...Any thoughts on that?

The second one is a bit more of a puzzle. It doesn't display on a specific projector (the one the teacher uses most often). As far as I can see there's nothing wrong with the settings, and when I took it to a different projector it works fine. My laptop also works fine on the said projector. It appears the projector and laptop just don't get along! Any ideas?

Ta

Thank Post

Re: Toshiba A120

I have ahd a problem with a A200 like your first one. We went through all the grief on the tech support linre and in the end they agreed to come out and collect it.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ianhiseman
    I have 2 Toshiba Sat Pro A120 laptops here and they've both developed a similar problem with projectors.

The one doesn't seem to have any VGA output at all, I've tried every display setting I can find, updated drivers and different cables. I tested the projector on my laptop and it's fine. I've tried the A120 on other projectors and it doesn't work at all. It doesn't even display the boot-up screens, so I reckon it's a hardware issue...Any thoughts on that?

The second one is a bit more of a puzzle. It doesn't display on a specific projector (the one the teacher uses most often). As far as I can see there's nothing wrong with the settings, and when I took it to a different projector it works fine. My laptop also works fine on the said projector. It appears the projector and laptop just don't get along! Any ideas?

Ta

We have a few A120 and a couple have stopped giving a VGA output we tried everything and basically it boiled down to the VGA socket being stressed with the cable plugged in and the connection to the motherboard breaking.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,247 Posts

I've used this model too, but here are some things you should check on any laptop you wish to use with a whiteboard:

- In the BIOS check you don't have to enable the VGA port (this is applicable to older laptops generally)

- Check the advanced display properties in Windows. You may have to enable Dual Screens/Clone Mode whatever it's called. Most laptops also support shortcut key(s) to enable/disable dual screen mode.

- Make sure your laptop isn't outputting at a resolution higher than the projector supports. It will display a blank screen otherwise! Modern laptops are capable of resolutions better than 1024 x 768, but I still come across projectors only capable of a whopping 800 x 600 max!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by rush_tech

We have a few A120 and a couple have stopped giving a VGA output we tried everything and basically it boiled down to the VGA socket being stressed with the cable plugged in and the connection to the motherboard breaking.
    Yeah, I kind of figured that was possibly the case. Although I tried gently pressurising the socket in several directions to try and make a connection if the joint is broken, to no avail though Think that one will have to go back to PCWB.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    I've used this model too, but here are some things you should check on any laptop you wish to use with a whiteboard:

- In the BIOS check you don't have to enable the VGA port (this is applicable to older laptops generally)

- Check the advanced display properties in Windows. You may have to enable Dual Screens/Clone Mode whatever it's called. Most laptops also support shortcut key(s) to enable/disable dual screen mode.

- Make sure your laptop isn't outputting at a resolution higher than the projector supports. It will display a blank screen otherwise! Modern laptops are capable of resolutions better than 1024 x 768, but I still come across projectors only capable of a whopping 800 x 600 max!
    Aye, both laptops were working fine one day then not the next. I tried the first two on both. Although I didn't check the resolution, my laptop is set to 1400 x 1050 and worked fine on both projectors, so I'll rule that out.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread