+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Laptop/Whiteboard problem in Technical; not sure if this is of any use but if it uses an onboard intel graphics card then it generally ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts

Re: Laptop/Whiteboard problem

not sure if this is of any use but if it uses an onboard intel graphics card then it generally comes with the intel graphics properties utility and I find that if you do not set things using the util then it over rides the windows display settings.

So getting it to clone the display etc is best done using the intel utility.

Also where are you trying to delete the settings from ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts

I don't think it uses an on board intel graphics card but I will have a look
    Where's the utility then? I have set it up from the display properties, as I have done for all of them

Thank Post

In control panel if it has an intel graphics card provided the intel graphics card drivers are installed there should be an intel graphics option in the control panel, short of that when you right click on the desktop there should be a graphics properties options in the context menu.

If not what make and model of graphics card do they have ?

Thank Post

Ah, now I know what you mean. My newer laptops have this option but these older ones do not.
    I am at the wrong school to tell you what the graphics card is -will post it later

Thank Post

Its got Radeon Mobility
    Had another go - no go

Thank Post

This is just from memory but on ATI graphics cards if you go to advanced on display properties there is a section to configure the external display provided it detects it that looks something similiar to this :

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/5060/testdt5.jpg

http://www.support.gateway.com/s/Mob...8547su73.shtml

On the 2nd link if you scroll down there is a screen grab of what I mean where you can see what displays are attached to the graphics card.

You should be able to configure it there ( http://supcontent.gateway.com/suppor...80/ATIDP12.gif )

and it should show you if the external display is attached or not etc.

Just to get this clear in my head you are attaching a white board via the external vga port on these laptops or can you show me how it is attached exactly ?

ie

laptop ati vga out --> smart board --> etc ?????

Thank Post

I think you are actually connecting the laptop VGA port to a projector via a junction box, and the projector displays on the whiteboard (Promethean). At a loss now to see where the problem lies, though... VGA port displays fine through external monitor; another laptop displays fine through this projector - so VGA port and junction box and projector are all OK.

So if the problem laptop is connected to another projector on a whiteboard and doesn't work then it must be a setting on the laptop that is only picked up through a projector/junction box and not through an external monitor???

Sorry, just trying to think it through aloud. Maybe it will help...???

Thank Post

The refresh rate is 60Hz? Also make sure you try 800x600 to rule out any resolution issues.

Thank Post

Right
    It is a smartboard so there is no junction box - unlike a promethean. The projector is connected via a vga cable directly from the laptop to the back of the projector.
    It makes no difference whether the smartboard is connected (via USB) or not SO it must be an issue with how the laptop is seeing the projector.
    As I said, an external monitor works fine.
    Under advanced properties I cannot get the 'pictures' of the monitors -labelled 1 and 2 to look the same (1 large, 2 small) as they do on the laptop that works, and if I RC monitor 2 I get told it is inactive. I didn' check the settings that show when the external monitor is connected - I will try to remember to do that next week.
    On the working laptop, the default display scheme is a blank box, whereas on the duff one it says 'default single monitor' or something else I can't remember (I'm at my other school today) and I cannot get it to stay blank as it is on the working laptop.
    Gecko - I cannot access your links as RM has blocked them - but thanks anyway.
    It has to be a problem with the way the laptop is seeing the projector but I am damned if I can work out what. I am going round in circles with the advanced graphics settings
    It's a Dell Latitude C640 if that helps anyone.
    Thanks for all your help guys
    NB I have checked the refresh rate and the rest

Thank Post

I've had this problem with a staff laptop, turns out the teacher had reinstalled windows which had installed a graphics driver that at first glance seemed to be the right one. Downloaded the latest driver from the manufacturer's website and it worked straight away. Do you have the orginal laptop discs still?

Thank Post

No - the machine is about 7 years old and was here when I got here. I have downloaded the latest drivers off the Dell website and that didn't help. I'm afraid

Thank Post

will have a look at some point soon now that I have the make and model of laptop.

There are a few things ( simple and most likely obvious ) that you can try

1. ensure that the projector is connected to the laptop when the laptop is switched off and that it is seated firmly and screwed into the vga port and that no pins on the vga cable are bent.

2. Go into the bios and check to see if there are any settings in there regarding NTSC or PAL or outputting anything to an external display

3. Might of been mentioned before but possibly changing the refresh rate that it out puts and using the ATI ( As I believe you said it was a Radeon graphics card ) to configure it displaying on both screens or at the very least the projector.

4. WIth the projector there should be a remote, make sure it has the correct input selected to display as on some projectors you can select computer 1, computer 2, Video etc etc so you need to check which input your vga cable is connected to and make sure you have that selected.

I will have a dig around on dells support site and also if you could post back with the make and model of projector that you are trying this with.

Try and get this to work on at least one projector for now - hopefully

BTW I found this :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937930

Just in case that does not work, try this link for the hot fix :

http://thehotfixshare.net/board/inde...&showfile=1097

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12