+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Iris Connect in Technical; Anybody used these before? Or know of any alternatives? Classroom Observation | Lesson Observation | Teacher Professional Development - IRIS ...
    Thank Post

Iris Connect

Thank Post
    We had a demo from them and Star Lesson. These seem to be the only two that I could find doing classroom recording for assessment.

Main difference is that IrisC stores recordings in the cloud, whereas Star Lesson give you a server to put in the rack.

Also Licensing: Star Lesson is a one off payment and you get all the licenses you need whereas IrisC you pay for access licenses in blocks of 25. Star Lesson works out considerably cheaper for us anyway based on going for the portable ipod solution with two cameras.

To be honest, I was much more impressed with the presentation from Star Lesson, not least because the guy remembered to bring the equipment with him to show us, and turned up on time!!!

Afterwards, because we are a federation of two Academies linked with a leased line, the guy at Star Lesson agreed to allow both Academies to use the single license saving us a fortune!!

Still, I would recommend you get both in and make up your own mind.

Thank Post
    Hi,

There are been several thread about iris, just do a search. You will find people will call the camera; "a drip", "a dalek" and many other wonderful names. People find the discovery kit much nicer and easier.

Ensure that you give it a static IP and it is unfiltered.

Thank Post
    Have a look here Iris Connect.....

Thank Post
    Never impressed with iris as a solution, the camera is bulky and heavy to move and the software isn't brilliant. With iris you can save the files to a server share, it doesn't just have to be online. Personally I would avoid, knowing what I know now.

Thank Post
    Iris only works with Internet explorer, rather than good browsers such as Chrome etc. Setting it up originally was really easy, until we got VLANs installed, when some problems occured. If you have it just in 1 room then that would make your life a lot easier, as it's not the lightest. We reackon at work that it's about 15 or 20 minutes each time it is used to set up, check and get the teacher logged on.

Was bought without any consultation with us, and then was lumbered on us, so we aren't it's biggest fan... We run the software off a laptop that we hard wire to our network in each room as running it over wireless can mean that the video cuts out. Similarly if the computer locks then the video goes strange too. All in, not a huge fan.

Thank Post
    The IRIS discovery kit was purchased here without consultation with me, but got left in my office with a note to sort it out. They had a demonstration with a few Heads from the local partnership. I think we only got a basic package so it has no real-time viewing and feedback to the teacher. Basically it has 2 iPods that record video very light and manageqable (security?), one static and one on a mechanised tripod mount that tracks the person wearing the neck thing...

Uploads video to their servers which takes a while to encode before it is viewable. We use IE (as it is all web-based) so can't comment on other browser suitability.

Some of the schools had possible issues with children being on video and stored in the cloud...

Hasn't been used in anger yet as we are waiting on staff training which is included, but from the test I did it seemed fine.

Kol.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koldov View Post
    The IRIS discovery kit was purchased here without consultation with me, but got left in my office with a note to sort it out. They had a demonstration with a few Heads from the local partnership. I think we only got a basic package so it has no real-time viewing and feedback to the teacher. Basically it has 2 iPods that record video very light and manageqable (security?), one static and one on a mechanised tripod mount that tracks the person wearing the neck thing...

Uploads video to their servers which takes a while to encode before it is viewable. We use IE (as it is all web-based) so can't comment on other browser suitability.

Some of the schools had possible issues with children being on video and stored in the cloud...

Hasn't been used in anger yet as we are waiting on staff training which is included, but from the test I did it seemed fine.

Kol.
    The discovery kit doesnt allow realtime or feedback to the teacher, only the drip/coffeepot camera allows that.

The discovery kit is only for self observations where i like to think the other camera is used to show teacher/student engagement.

Thank Post
    We have eStream and that does lesson capture, we haven't used it for that yet. I seem to remember the guy giving a demo mentioned that other universities and colleges have been using it for lesson observation and assessment.

I am sure we will look to use it at some point.

I also don't know how it compares in price. Planet eStream - Video Capture & Archiving, Digital Signage, Live TV

Thank Post
    We use iris, had lots of problems before we got rid of proxy servers. Now though its a brilliant bit of kit.

we use it wirelessly with an ap in client mode, there's a laminated sheet in the bag with the camera which tells the user how to connect it up, and the people using it all had a training day on it. Apart from occasionally having to take it and plug it in ourselves (2 mins max) we don't have a problem with it.

our deputy head has even taken to editing some of the videos to show others.

Thank Post
    We've got both bits of kit - the large camera and discovery iPOD kit.

Up to now (5 weeks or so) we've not used the larger camera as it's chunky and heavy to carry about, if you also go for the stand it's something else to lump around the school.

When the discover kit works, it's great. Although probably every 3 or 4 recorded observation we have the upload fail, and have to get the video off the iPODs manually and upload which takes time.

Theres a new upload box thats due to be released soon for all users if the bigger camera, which automatically uploads the footage online. Currently you have to browse to a shared area and upload manually via the website.

Thank Post
    Lesson Recorder | Lecture captureLesson Recorder supply a system for lesson observation it can be installed on a local server or more cloud based. Lessons can be recorded either with the client recorder software on a laptop and a couple of cameras that can then be moved from classroom to classroom, and the cameras can be installed five minutes before a lesson. or the software can be installed in every classroom with cameras in every room.

Any camera can be used we usually use two HD webcams ( one on the teaching and one on the Learners) Usb microphone There is auto upload to the cloud and the lesson can be viewed from any internet browser

The same software and hardware can also be used to record lessons for students to revise lessons currently 3m students are using it and 25000 teachers. Nice software scalable and easy to work with.

Thank Post
    We use the 'coffee-pot' camera setup and it works well. It is a pain to lug around the school but once its in place it's a breeze to setup and get a lesson recorded and uploaded to the iris website.
    I know alot of people don't like it and I am sure there are cheaper alternatives but for us the thing does exactly what it says on the tin, and the support from iris has always been great.

Thank Post
    We have one, it's basically a axis ptz camera. The quality isn't the best and it's annoying that you have to use IE.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread