+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Strange Audio Problem in Technical; Had this issue for a while and initially thought it was due to the sound files being played but... when ...
    Thank Post

Strange Audio Problem

Had this issue for a while and initially thought it was due to the sound files being played but... when headphones are plugged in I can hear a 'bing' when I alter the sound level and when I play some of the sample music audio in media player but not some of the sound effects etc when using the web based Education City or some of the other programs. I thought this was down to the media type being played but...accidentally found that if I move the audio plug out of the socked about an 1'8" I hear the Education City music perfectly and they work as normal. Now that makes you think its the audio jack or socket? but why can I hear music played via media player etc when its fully pushed in and not in Education City for example but pull it out slightly I can hear both? confused to say the least!
    I now have this at two schools, different PC's both RealTek bith same type of headphone (The Robust ones from Hills Components)

Any ideas anyone?

Thank Post
    You get the same thing if you use headphones off some mobile phones. I get it off my Beats Audio Dr.Dre Monsters. A standard 3.5mm stereo jack has three connectors. These are the shiney metal bands separated by two black (insulating) bands. Check that the headphones you are using have exactly this configuration. One black band and it's mono. 3 or more bands and there is extra functionality. This can be Volume, Mute, ffwd, rwd etc. As you pull the plug out it will contact with the correct leaf spring connectors in the socket and the sound becomes correct. Some of the effects can be very weird because some sounds get cancelled out entirely where others seem louder. This is through a combination of stereo imagaing as the connections are made and constructive and destructive phasing.

If it is this configuration make sure you are plugging it into a standard stereo socket. Not SPIF or similar.

(now I sound like a bad episode of star trek)
    Last edited by GeekyPete; 6th February 2014 at 05:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Just checked and they are bog standard three part jacks, left, right, earth. But why not on all PC's? Just tried another pair of h'phones and they worked fine! Will do some more testing when I find another set tbat play up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Maybe get USB headphones and it won't rely on making contact with the relevant contacts in the 3.5mm jack

Thank Post
    Could just be faulty headphones, what happens when you plug them into other computers or your phone?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread