+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Spare hard drive solution in Technical; Originally Posted by nephilim Alas no...it comes with the standard 6. You have to buy the expansion cards for it ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Alas no...it comes with the standard 6. You have to buy the expansion cards for it to accommodate a further 18
    Huh? All 22 ports are attached to the bottom edge of the motherboard. You can see all of them in the photo.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    the specs of the board according to AsROCK is that it only has 6 sata ports...and the article says this...

"The first one is going to be one of the wildest designs on the Z87 platform, using an LSI 3008 chip combined with a 3X24R expander to provide sixteen SAS-3/SATA 6 Gbps alongside the six SATA 6 Gbps ports already provided by the chipset, giving 22 total."

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lounds View Post
    I did look into FreeNAS. Thanks for the help though guys. All my thinking was that if you have over 200 machines with spare hard drives you could make a shared storage between them similar to torrenting?
    Our ICT teacher has just been asking me about shared / distributed file storage for video editing, so I guess I'm looking at a similar system too. I'm assuming you're on Windows workstations of some kind - you tend to find whole experimental file systems on Linux rather than Windows as it's more the kind of platform for tinkering with stuff like this. You're right, it should be possible to write a massivly distributed file system to work over multiple workstations, but that doesn't mean that anyone has actually written anything that is going to be suitible for our particular needs.

I'm guessing 200 machines distributed around a building are going to be too unreliable to act as storage nodes in a traditional RAID-style array - you could, for instance, make each spare harddrive available via iSCSI, then have a central server connect them up. You could try the same thing (individual disks connected via iSCSI to a central controlling server) as a Ceph cluster with a large redundancy figure set (3 or 4, maybe?), although I'm not sure what kind of network traffic that might produce.

How does DFS actually work? Am I right in thinking we can set up a number of SMB shares (i.e. one on each workstation), then get a DFS server to join them together into one filespace, but with the actual sotrage being local to each machine?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    the specs of the board according to ASRock is that it only has 6 SATA ports.
    I thought it was pretty self-explanatory based on the photo. The six ports on the right are provided by the Intel Z87 chipset and the sixteen SATA/SAS ports on the left are provided by the LSI chip. No PCIe cards required.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ok, agreed, no PCIE card required, but it is still an expansion on the board :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12