+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, The evolution of a server room in Technical; Very nice, Now Keep it like that!...
    Thank Post
    Very nice, Now Keep it like that!

Thank Post
    Very good job! I'm half way there (minus the datacentre paint and outstanding cable management!) but it's taken years as no big bang budget, have had to scrimp and save

Gotta admit the Sun servers do look in a class above the rest. X4140/X4150s?

Thank Post
    Looks bang today. V Jealous. Great Work.

Thank Post
    I have a new hero!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The evolution of a server room

Quote Originally Posted by AButters View Post
    Very good job! I'm half way there (minus the datacentre paint and outstanding cable management!) but it's taken years as no big bang budget, have had to scrimp and save

Gotta admit the Sun servers do look in a class above the rest. X4140/X4150s?
    Well, take heart. What you saw in the 2010 pics cost $47,000 all up including a day of work by an electrician, 4 days work for the data cabling (200 port frame to extend cables was required), the racks, two UPS, 3 servers, a SAN, a firewall, two switches, KVM, and all of the software licensing. No, 47k isn't a small chunk of change, but it took quite a bit of haggling to make it stretch far enough to do everything you see. The rack that you saw in the 2010 and today pics is the same rack, just with extra add-ones and modules I purchased for it. I like to buy gear that can expand and have a long lifespan.

As for the Suns, we currently have one x4150, two x4170s (M1), a 7110 (4.2TB), two X3-2's, and a 7320 with a DE2-24P disk shelf. The X3-2s and 7320 were purchased in the past 4 months and serve as our core vSphere infrastructure. The others were purchased in Dec 2009. I'm using one of the older x4170 as a Hyper-V server and one as a backup server (Veeam and BackupAssist). The x4150 is used for testing and the 7110 is a backup emergency SAN as well as serving as storage for us in the IT Dept.

I try to keep good equipment for as long as possible and have in the past had a 14 year old Sun Netra server that was still running as reliable as a Swiss watch.
    Last edited by seawolf; 5th February 2014 at 10:03 AM.

Thank Post
    Looks quality

Thank Post
    That's very awesome, nice work!

Nice to see so many Sun boxes in there too, good kit.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    Well, take heart. What you saw in the 2010 pics cost $47,000 all up including a day of work by an electrician, 4 days work for the data cabling (200 port frame to extend cables was required), the racks, two UPS, 3 servers, a SAN, a firewall, two switches, KVM, and all of the software licensing. No, 47k isn't a small chunk of change, but it took quite a bit of haggling to make it stretch far enough to do everything you see. The rack that you saw in the 2010 and today pics is the same rack, just with extra add-ones and modules I purchased for it. I like to buy gear that can expand and have a long lifespan.

As for the Suns, we currently have one x4150, two x4170s (M1), a 7110 (4.2TB), two X3-2's, and a 7320 with a DE2-24P disk shelf. The X3-2s and 7320 were purchased in the past 4 months and serve as our core vSphere infrastructure. The others were purchased in Dec 2009. I'm using one of the older x4170 as a Hyper-V server and one as a backup server (Veeam and BackupAssist). The x4150 is used for testing and the 7110 is a backup emergency SAN as well as serving as storage for us in the IT Dept.

I try to keep good equipment for as long as possible and have in the past had a 14 year old Sun Netra server that was still running as reliable as a Swiss watch.
    Yes that is the kind of money it would be nice to spend. I am going to have to make do with my 1 x 42u cab!

Still running 2 x x4150 here and a 7110 (I have wiped it an repurposed it as a Win2k8 server running Veeam and a few other services). I'm running the Sun 146GB drives from our 7110s in my newer Dell servers. The sun stuff is very reliable, has one HDD fail out of 36 since 2009. Such a same they were taken over by Oracle "the Destroyer".

We too run equipment past it's usual lifespan. Not usually through choice but through nessesity!

Thank Post
    Looks great, wish my upgrade had been as nice as that. Still, it was an improvement, going from this:
    1 Before.JPG
    the school's dumping ground where I sat with 1 laptop and 1 server with an UPS that had about 2 minutes of charging ability

To this:
    2 After 1.jpg
    3 After 2.jpg
    Not pictured is the shelving at the end of the room, the aircon unit, and the cupboards to the left on the wall.
    [The room is too small to photo it all at once, apologies for my hurried spicing together of photos!]

Next holiday I'm getting the cable management under control, and finally getting that old Dell server that my monitor is sitting on off my desk!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    Looks great, wish my upgrade had been as nice as that. Still, it was an improvement, going from this:
    1 Before.JPG
    the school's dumping ground where I sat with 1 laptop and 1 server with an UPS that had about 2 minutes of charging ability

To this:
    2 After 1.jpg
    3 After 2.jpg
    Not pictured is the shelving at the end of the room, the aircon unit, and the cupboards to the left on the wall.
    [The room is too small to photo it all at once, apologies for my hurried spicing together of photos!]

Next holiday I'm getting the cable management under control, and finally getting that old Dell server that my monitor is sitting on off my desk!
    Do you buy everything from Amazon? That's a lot of Amazon boxes!!!

Thank Post
    The first photo looks like you worked in a shop on the high street!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Wow, the whole school was running off of that one server? You have come a long way.

Hopefully, you can encourage them to let you take that upgrade even further considering your school has 800 students, 150 staff and 750+ devices!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. LOL

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    Hahah! We just got 30 of these things in Kurio 4S Touch: Amazon.co.uk: Audio & HiFi so that the pupils can use it for an app a school nearby has developed called Flurrish Flurrish

Quote Originally Posted by seawolf
    Wow, the whole school was running off of that one server? You have come a long way.

Hopefully, you can encourage them to let you take that upgrade even further considering your school has 800 students, 150 staff and 750+ devices!
    I'm hoping so too, it's running OK for now thanks to a Cisco-wireless overhaul last year, but I'm down to my last 30-40Gb's on my file servers so I'm expecting people to hit their disk quota's any time now, plus I'd love to get rid of some of the older servers and get some virutal stuff in instead.
    Last edited by Pete10141748; 6th February 2014 at 02:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Unfortunately there are no before pics, but like most primary schools the server room was a general purpose store... we were lucky enough to be able to rewire (Cat6 & Fibre) and this is what Steve and I managed to come up with...

sorry for the 3 pics, but my phone looses too much detail with the whole rack...

We have from top to bottom...
    Fibre patch panel
    Patches
    stacked switches with one POE switch for our
    Trapeze managed wireless
    Rack KVM
    HP 1u ESXi host running our helpdesk
    Intel 2u ESXi host running backup and FRDC's
    Qnap 10TB iSCSi array for disk to disk to tape & bulk storage for our Mac & multimedia warm data
    old hp laptop as esxi console for the KVM
    Apple Mac Mini server for Mac AD integration
    APC UPS

It was nice having a fairly blank chequebook and I think we managed to burn the cash pretty well!

WP_20130717_001.jpgWP_20130717_002.jpgWP_20130717_003.jpg
    Last edited by mattpayne; 6th February 2014 at 07:41 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast