+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, HP Servers - do you all have extended warranties? Will you be happy to buy them? in Technical; For years I've been selling and installing HP Servers normally with the usual HP 3Yr warranties however, now HP have ...

Thank Post

HP Servers - do you all have extended warranties? Will you be happy to buy them?

For years I've been selling and installing HP Servers normally with the usual HP 3Yr warranties however, now HP have re-written the rules your not going to be able to get driver updates and firmware for your HP servers once it's out of warranty without a valid HP Carepack or Support Contract through an HPP Support partner.

So all those G5s G6 and G7s are going to be pretty frustrating to support once they are 3 Yrs +

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/foru...ort_clampdown/

I've already run into a problem with an 18 month old Microserver (12 Month Warranty) that needed a firmware update to install Server 2012R2 on it only to be told I need a current support contract to obtain the firmware!

Ok I was able to work around it as I have several in warranty at other sites but not everyone will have easy access to HP support files anymore.
    Read what you like into HP's reasoning about why they have decided to do this but effectively as of 2014 without a valid support contract your 3 yr old HP server is now obsolete and will be increasingly difficult to maintain.

I've never been a great Dell lover because of their out of band management never came close to HP's iLO IMHO but at least I can still go to the Dell website and get a driver or update for a 5 yr old box!

Just about now many will be looking at budgets and hardware research for the Easter and Summer projects, will this somewhat Hard nosed attitude of HP swing your decisions?

I thought the Dell VRTX was a cat amongst the pigeons when it appeared last year, this latest behaviour by HP has certainly made me look twice and of course now Lenovo are picking up the IBM x86 Server Range I for one think this will damage HP more than they think...

I eagerly await the groups thoughts and comments.
    Last edited by m25man; 1st February 2014 at 08:07 PM.

2. Thanks to m25man from:

dhicks (1st February 2014)

Thank Post
    Well i guess that's my plans for physical upgrades on my servers to 2012/2012r2 over the summer down the drain. Another nail in the coffin for virtualisation for me and another money making decision for HP.

4. Thanks to timbo343 from:

m25man (1st February 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Always been happy with Dell and HP servers, but this recently has pushed me to Dell solution on a recent purchase.

Pete

6. Thanks to FragglePete from:

m25man (1st February 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

HP Servers - do you all have extended warranties? Will you be happy to buy them?

It's pretty much a 3com moment. (When 3com bailed out of the enterprise market overnight).

The trust is gone.

Shame, I loved their kit. (And ironically had returned to the 3com fold with the h3c hp networking merger)

Thank Post
    Whats next after this sham from HP? They are going to stop life time warranty on switches, wouldnt surprise me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Posted about this:

HP to restrict server repairs

Ben

Thank Post
    Ugh. I love HP servers, but this is just a bad idea for SMEs.

Obviously with virtualisation they are selling far less boxes and need to recoup the money from somewhere. The problem is when your hardware reaches a certain age you can't get Carepak's for them!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,496 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For us it wouldn't be a deal breaker. We don't run any servers that don't have a warranty anyway. For something in production it wouldn't be a good idea to do that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,720 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Goodbye hp servers, it was nice while it lasted but one of the best things was the driver support, without that they are just another nasty vendor.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,723 Times in 2,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    I've already run into a problem with an 18 month old Microserver (12 Month Warranty) that needed a firmware update to install Server 2012 R2 on it only to be told I need a current support contract to obtain the firmware!
    FWIW, the firmware should also be on the Service Pack for Proliant ISO which you can still download from the link in @plexer's thread.

Thank Post
    Shame, much prefer HP kit over the Dell stuff but have used more Dell kit in the corporate world. Like my HP stuff at home.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    For us it wouldn't be a deal breaker. We don't run any servers that don't have a warranty anyway. For something in production it wouldn't be a good idea to do that.
    Many people use 3rd Party extended warranty providers past the initial carepack period. This is where folke are going to become unstuck on firmware if the provider is not approved.

Rob

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Interestingly enough, I recently had a trying experience getting costs from a HP partner, so much so it put me off ever buying their kit. All business gets directed to Dell - unless the client requests otherwise.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,115 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Agree, I use HP servers and wouldn't dream of running a production server without warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    Many people use 3rd Party extended warranty providers past the initial carepack period. This is where folke are going to become unstuck on firmware if the provider is not approved.

Rob
    Similarly, I wouldn't use an unapproved provider.

Thank Post
    I always perfered Dells, HP was forced upon us.

I was not impressed by the 1st HP we got. And I had to fit all the upgrade parts myself rather than the machine arriving ready to fire up!

Rob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast