+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, HP Servers - do you all have extended warranties? Will you be happy to buy them? in Technical; Dell all the way here. A few months back I had a hard drive fail and about 3 hours later ...
    Thank Post
    Dell all the way here. A few months back I had a hard drive fail and about 3 hours later I had an engineer at the reception with a new one. HP on the other hand have been nothing but a pain in the arse with my P4000. A hard drive goes and they want double proof it was bought when I say it was and then its a couple of days before a part turns up and they get really cranky about the old part being returned. Thankfully just scored a pile of Dell servers with Dell sans so I am in network manager heaven.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Funny, hp support has always been awesome for us, I always use web chat and open by sending all the troubleshooting steps I have taken. Usually they just reply that they are sending a new part.

The returns thing is a bit annoying though. They do get a bit cranky.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the feedback so far, in my own experience people are happy to take an HP with the standard 3 year warranty and not think beyond this.
    At the end of 3 years if we are lucky we will all buy shiny new servers and hand down the old ones for land fill.
    Those that do decide to keep them going for another year (or two) will now have to pay up around £250-300 pa for a DL380 G6 for instance just to get a driver or BIOS update.
    OK if something else was to go wrong you can expect some help or a part replaced but a driver or firmware fix/update?

Do we all have a 3 year server life cycle? Does everyone run out and buy a CarePack after 3 Years? Are we all buying 4 or 5 years from the outset?

All well and good for those that have said they wouldn't have a production server without a warranty, but I wonder just how many there are out there that don't?

Never mind, off to the Dell Site to price up my next server...

Thank Post
    Im going to hold my hands up, im one of these who has the majority of servers without warranty, partly due to the cost of the warranties. My budget doesnt stretch that far, in fact it doesnt stretch very far at all for the amount of stuff i am expected to keep going.

Im sure i costed a warranty from HP at £750 per server per year.

Since having the budget cuts i havent been able to do my 3 yearly cycle of replacing servers along with other things and my servers are the dl380 g series.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh I should have added, this will put me off HP in the future ;-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,631 Times in 1,939 Posts
    This week, HP announced that effective 19 February 2014, we will provide firmware updates through the HP Support Center only to customers with a valid warranty, Care Pack Service or support agreement.

This decision reinforces our goal to provide access to the latest HP firmware, which is valuable intellectual property, for our customers who have chosen to maximize and protect their IT investments. We know this is a change from how we’ve done business in the past; however, this aligns with industry best practices and is the right decision for our customers and partners.
    Source: h30507.www3.hp.com/t5/Technical-Support-Services-Blog/Customers-for-life/ba-p/154423

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    For us it wouldn't be a deal breaker. We don't run any servers that don't have a warranty anyway. For something in production it wouldn't be a good idea to do that.
    certainly true for physical servers. Now if you have a number of servers it would be cheaper to buy a spare one than take out the care packs and with virtualisation you can have a virtual server back in production a lot Faster than HP can repair a physical one.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyPete View Post
    certainly true for physical servers. Now if you have a number of servers it would be cheaper to buy a spare one than take out the care packs and with virtualisation you can have a virtual server back in production a lot Faster than HP can repair a physical one.
    That would work, apart from the firmwares. We had a double power supply failure in a SAN once, a spare SAN wouldn't happen. So for things like this you would have a care pack.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12