+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Projector Woes in Technical; Has anyone found a good way to get teachers to turn off their blasted projectors when they aren't using them? ...
    Thank Post

Projector Woes

Has anyone found a good way to get teachers to turn off their blasted projectors when they aren't using them? We have about 20 projectors in classrooms in school and every single lunchtime I am forced to walk around and turn off loads of them. ARGH!

I know some of them have auto-off after-certain-amount-of-time features, but this has proven to be an unpopular idea with staff who are afraid that the projector will turn off in the middle of their lesson.

Closest I've come is to send round a memo detailling just how much it costs to keep replacing bulbs, blown from overuse that is not actual use; this only served to get me in trouble from the head's, who felt that my note was "offensive".

What's a guy to do? Feels like I am banging me head against a wall here; they want the best out of everything, but offer no compliance to do so!

I've gotten to the point of not bothering to turn them off now, in the hope that the ever-growing cost of bulbs will make some of the more senior members of staff rasie the issue.

Any thoughts?

Thank Post

Re: Projector Woes

We tell them that the replacement bulb will come out of their faculty capitation. Got the Heads backing too .

HBJB

Thank Post

BTW there are some newer projectors out there that have some form of remote shutdown on them so it can be managed centrally. Not sure what it entails but I might look into it for our next batch of projectors.

HBJB

Thank Post

tell the departments that when bulbs go, that either

a: they have to pay for it

b: they will be required to pay 50%

then detail how much replacement bulbs for their projectors will be, so they can see the cost. Personally, I would ignore the teachers who say the memo's are offensive (unless, of course, they truly are) and see what response you get.

The occasional reminder to teachers who leave their projectors on that "it will come out of your budget when it pops" does the trick (sometimes)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 766 Posts

We are in the middle of collating data which is fed to us by the site staff as to which room projectors are left on. We will then make it known that staff are leaving them on and it will be their budgets which will pay for the replacement bulbs. If they fail to turn them off after this then on their own heads be it.

You can get and interface which will remotely turn all of them off at a certain time and on again for a large premium. Haven't looked at the positives yet.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

If you have a central list of which projector models are in which rooms - put the cost of replacement lamps next to each model and then make all staff aware of said list; and that their departments must fund all replacements.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Heebeejeebee
    We tell them that the replacement bulb will come out of their faculty capitation. Got the Heads backing too .

HBJB
    we say that from the start...

and now some depts have paid about £150 to £200 for bulbs they learn to turn them off.

Thank Post

Our Hitachi projectors have a inactivity timer which I have set to 30 minutes. As we are an eco-school, it would be nice for the teachers to turn off computers, projectors etc. Mind you, I do forget to turn off the fan heater in my office but my office is so small, it only takes a couple of nano-secs to warm up.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread