+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, How long should projectors and IWBs last? in Technical; I am compiling my annual report to SMT which will also recommend the spend on ICT for 2014/2015. We have ...
    Thank Post

How long should projectors and IWBs last?

I am compiling my annual report to SMT which will also recommend the spend on ICT for 2014/2015.

We have a rolling programme of replacements of PC's and laptops but IWB's & projectors are typically only replaced when they fail.

I'd be interested to know others opinions of how long you think a projector or IWB should last?

My estimate would be :

Projectors should last on average 6 years
    IWB's should last and be supported by the manufacturers software for 10 years.

Look forward to your figures and comments!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts
    IWBs we replace when they fail and in 8 years we have had no failures to date (Promethean)

Projector lifespan depends on the type. Conventional bulb projectors go off in around 3-4 years even if they are maintained properly. They fade out and they start projecting a discoloured image. Lifespan is determined by how much they are used of course. You must also factor in the cost of the bulb replacements

The LED projectors from Casio have a 5 year guarantee... and they are wonderful from a maintenance point of view

Thank Post
    Our oldest projectors are getting on for 10 years old, most of these elderly relics are slated for replacement as soon as possible.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We usually get 3-4 years out of traditional projectors, that's with them being on 7ish hours a day, 40 weeks a year.
    All projectors are now being replaced with Casio.

The Smartboards are a mixed bunch, some went after about 5-6 years but most soldiering on after 8 years.

Thank Post
    Projectors I normally allow 1 bulb change before replacing the projector. They can and should last longer but this normally takes them up to 6 years old and I find them to be unreliable, under perform and have higher bulb costs at this stage in life.

The whiteboards I normally make a judgement call as and when the board has issues, if a board is 10 years old and has issues it would be replaced but I would not necessarily replace a 10 year old board with no issues.

Thank Post
    Our IWB's are about 12-13 years old, no failures as of yet apart from our serial hubs. Ive replaced one in the three years Ive been here.

Projectors last about 4 years constant use.

Thank Post
    Some of our IWB's are nearing 13 years and no faults with the actual board.
    We replaced some of the original projectors, but every now and then we give them a internal deep clean when they start to get yellow or purple marks being visible with the internal dust build up.
    Bulbs are changed every 2000-3000 hrs depending on how bright they are.

Thank Post
    The only issue we have had with Smartboards is the rear mounted controller boards failing after a couple of years. So far they have been replaced under warranty but Im going to have to find a supplier soon.

Thank Post
    Be aware that the first of the serial smart board 500 series are now officially unsupported by new smart software releases, we are now doing a rolling replacement program at 1 a month.

Thank Post
    We have quite a few Hitachi Boards and are finding it increasinly difficult to get hold of pens !
    This may force our hand to replace a whole departments boards to either smart or promethean....to be fair most are now over 8 years old....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Most of our IWBs - both Promethean and Smart, are upwards of 8 years old. Ordinary projectors - I would say - last about 5 years.

Thank Post
    I think the more interesting question is whether to replace iwbs at all...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    We haven't replaced a board in the last ten years.

Some projectors even older ones have reasonable priced lamp replacement costs it really depends on the manufacturer.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Projectors a very hit and miss. Some models last 6+ years, others die a couple of weeks after the end of the initial warrenty. Lamps on the other hand get increasing uneconomical to replace around 3-5 years after release of a particular model.

Boards: Hitachi/GTCO boards just seem to keep on rocking, unless you drop one down the stairs. Promethean boards are getting flakey at 10 years, but there are other factors in play there, the promethean boards have been subjected to greater thermal stress and variability in power supply from the grid.

On the subject of Hitach/GTCO pens, ProBrand used to be able to supply them quickly and at a competitive price.

At 9 years old on the promethans we took a gamble to knock their replacement into the *next* five year programme. Three years later as I begin writing the first drafts for that next programme I am expecting that we'll use interactive projectors and keep the boards only for licencing reasons.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread