+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, RM NB14 notebooks won't switch on/take a charge in Technical; Bought a batch of 60 of RM NB14 (Clevo W540EU) notebooks back in April 2013 for use as pupil laptops ...

Thank Post

RM NB14 notebooks won't switch on/take a charge

Bought a batch of 60 of RM NB14 (Clevo W540EU) notebooks back in April 2013 for use as pupil laptops on trolleys in the classrooms. Have recently been finding that they are increasingly beginning to develop a similar problem.

The issue is that, even after a lengthy charge, they simply won't switch on at all.

They are all under 3 year on-site warranty and several have been 'fixed' by replacing motherboard and/or power supplies etc. but now have another 5 or 6 with the same problem.

Would be grateful for any feedback if anyone else has experienced any similar power on/charging issues for this particular make/model from that sort of purchase date.

Many thanks for any info if anyone else has come across a similar issue for this device.

Thank Post
    We have bought a batch of these laptops, and we have just started seeing this issue we have had them roughly 1 year now, and I have had 3 in the past month or so. I have found replacing the battery is the only fix but at 80 a go its not a cheap solution.

we also have issues building, I have found the blue screen with a page fault just after the first reboot in the build process. I have found the only fix for this is to remove all DNS and DHCP entries in the server for the laptop and on the first reboot remove the ethernet cable, and plug it back in once its rebooted twice.

Thank Post
    I have noticed with RM machines, the machines in the same batch have the same problems, but in another batch they have been absolutely fine. Had 3 screens go within a week (all adjacent s/n's) and then had a few with boards fail on them within a few days of each other.

As for the build errors, I find if you unplug and take the battery out and then press the power button a few times. Then restart WDS, reconnect up and try again if you are PXE booting.

Thank Post
    regarding the build errors I find removing the DNS/DHCP entries then pulling the LAN cable during the first reboot solves this issue, removing from the RM console sometimes works but, its a bit hit and miss.

regarding the batteries we have had a total of 8 go and have not had the laptops a year. I have tried leaving the battery out for a couple of days, and pressing the power button with no battery in (this was a known trick with HP's) I have swapped with a known good battery and the laptop fires up fine so it is definitely a battery issue.

Id be interested in hearing of any issues people have had with these laptops.
    Last edited by Bugs; 26th February 2014 at 01:12 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread