+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Laptop Battery Problem in Technical; Hi I work in a school and a teacher reported her laptop was not switching on, when i went and ...

Thank Post

Laptop Battery Problem

Hi

I work in a school and a teacher reported her laptop was not switching on, when i went and look at it the battery had been removed, i put the battery back in and put the power supply in and the power light and battery light come on but it does not seem to be coming on. i tried putting another battery to see if it was the battery but i get the same problem. could some one help.

Hope i give enough info.

Thank Post
    Try holding down the power button and you may hear the drive power down. Give it a couple of seconds and then try powering up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Are you certain when plugging in the mains that it's charging the battery? There could be a problem and the battery no longer has any charge. This is a fairly common fault with notebooks after a number of years.

Thank Post
    It never come on so i can hear it go off or come on,

I am not certain it is charging, all i see is the lights on the front when plugged in, but i have tried another battery and it does the same.

Thank Post
    Any lights change after pressing the power button ? If the battery was out when you arrived at the laptop, perhaps it has had a fall or impact ? Check for loose RAM maybe ?

Thank Post
    I had something similar this morning. The battery indicator was on but no drive activity and a blank screen. Shutting down with a long press on the on off button cured it. It has to be worth a try at least?

Thank Post
    One thing that has worked for me in the past is to take out the battery, unplug the charger/mains unit and hold the power button down for about 30 seconds, then re-assemble and try to turn the laptop on again.
    I have no idea why this works or even if it's coincidence, but I read it on a Hewlett Packard forum years ago and it has worked for me.
    However I think checking out the loose RAM/has it been dropped? as per 'difinity' is a good question as well.

Thank Post
    Check the BIOS battery isn't dead also. I've had a laptop that refused to boot due to this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    Make and model of laptop - as seems that different makes ( and or possibly models ) of laptops / notebooks tend to act differently with regards to power issues, ie got some Lenovo T400 laptops that have an issue where by if the laptops battery is run flat and due to these using onboard shared graphics memory ( the graphics memory which is shared ie uses RAM ) becomes corrupted and the laptops screen will only show you a blank screen yet you can see the LED's under the screen for hard drive, bluetooth etc all come on and some of the flash on / off etc

To resolve this we have to remove the mains power and battery and then disconnect the cmos battery for about 10 seconds or so and then re connect the cmos battery, power the laptop back on ( which prompts to re program date / time / SATA Mode to the same as it was previously ) before it will boot back up again with the display working.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery and mains power , re connect the mains power lead and then try to power the laptop back on without any battery installed / inserted into the laptop ?

Also is the mains power button apart of the keyboard or is it separate or what exactly ?

Only ask as got some other models of Lenovo's where by the power button is intergrated into the keyboard and to resolve this , is just a simple case of swapping the keyboard for a known working one, if that powers the laptop on then its an easy enough fix ( but then will mean you need a replacement keyboard for either one of the laptops.

Again on the Lenovo's if they do not detect the mains charger ( AC Adaptor ) then more often then not it is the dc in cable that is at fault ( which if under warranty we book in a support call with Lenovo who send out an engineer to replace this DC IN Cable )

If the above is the case then have you got another battery from the same make / model of laptop that is charged and try this in the laptop without being connected to mains power and if this powers the laptop on then it may just be the DC IN Cable in the laptop itself.

Just some examples and no doubt other makes / models of laptops / notebooks may vary in how you diagnose / troubleshoot the issues that they have
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 20th January 2014 at 02:56 PM.

Thank Post
    Its a RM Notebook 320

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    If it is still under warranty then I would if possible try going down that route first ( so as not to invalidate the warranty ). If it is out of warranty you could try

Do you get any display if you use an external monitor via a VGA or similar video connector ie DVI / Display Port / HDMI etc ?

1. Disconnect battery and mains power
    2. Establish from guide(s) either hardware maintenance manual from RM website or via google to take the laptop apart so as to remove / disconnect the cmos battery for at least 10 seconds and then re-connect and using only mains power after re connecting the keyboard, touchpad etc then power it back on and see if this helps

If you do move the laptop screen around can you see it vaguely ie screen is very dim ( back light may have gone or be blown etc ) ?

Or when moved around does the screen come on ok and then go off etc or have any issues with the screen ie multiple lines etc

Presume there is not much dust etc causing it to over heat to the point where by it will not power on as it gets too hot so the thermal safe guards in the BIOS are powering the laptop off as soon as you try to power it on etc ?

I would say see what happens after dis-connecting and re-connecting the cmos battery to see if that helps at all and also clearing out any dust etc out of the notebook from where the fan vents and or fans are.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    If it is still under warranty then I would if possible try going down that route first ( so as not to invalidate the warranty ). If it is out of warranty you could try

Do you get any display if you use an external monitor via a VGA or similar video connector ie DVI / Display Port / HDMI etc ?

1. Disconnect battery and mains power
    2. Establish from guide(s) either hardware maintenance manual from RM website or via google to take the laptop apart so as to remove / disconnect the cmos battery for at least 10 seconds and then re-connect and using only mains power after re connecting the keyboard, touchpad etc then power it back on and see if this helps

If you do move the laptop screen around can you see it vaguely ie screen is very dim ( back light may have gone or be blown etc ) ?

Or when moved around does the screen come on ok and then go off etc or have any issues with the screen ie multiple lines etc

Presume there is not much dust etc causing it to over heat to the point where by it will not power on as it gets too hot so the thermal safe guards in the BIOS are powering the laptop off as soon as you try to power it on etc ?

I would say see what happens after dis-connecting and re-connecting the cmos battery to see if that helps at all and also clearing out any dust etc out of the notebook from where the fan vents and or fans are.
    Tried but no look, the light goes green for like a second then goes red.

Thank Post
    Sorry if this has already been asked but have you tried a different power supply?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread