+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Audio not playing on some applications in Technical; Strange one, had a complaint headphones were not working so checked them and yes, no sound, so checked obvious, volume ...
    Thank Post

Audio not playing on some applications

Strange one, had a complaint headphones were not working so checked them and yes, no sound, so checked obvious, volume OK, played a track in Media Player and all was fine, checked in Realtex utility and test played fine, adjusted windows volume and it 'binged' and me when I adjuted it to a new level but...go into Lexi, Education City, Scratch silence! There used to be a setting for WAV sound level in XP but cant find it in W7, just wondered if that was it or is it something else?

Thank Post
    Hi, I dont know if this will help but i had the same problem in espresso. Fixed it by opening windows media player-organise-options then click on the 'device' tab. Highlight 'speakers' and click properties. Then where it said 'sound properties' i switched over ' select audio device'
    Its worth a try.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 1,275 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Depends on the file. I have seen WAV files which were encoded as MP3 and then just had the extension changed, which caused no ends of problems. If possible, convert one to MP3 and see if that works. If not, then the files are a problem.

Thank Post
    Not sure how much this helps but either

1.) In the system tray --> Click on the speaker icon ( windows volume ) --> Click on the blue link near the bottom that says 'Mixer' which should open a dialog window up --> hopefully you should have a scroll bar at the bottom of this to show / view more volume options, hopefully one for applications ?

2.) Control panel ( whilst in an icon view so where it states view by at the top right adjust this to either large or small icons ) --> Sound --> ensure that the relevant playback item is set as default so if using headphones then select the headphones option and click on set default button and try again

3.) Maybe need to look at the options that the realtek or audio utility gives you with regards to volume levels / ensuring that it has the headphones as the device it is playing back audio through, not muted and also volume is at a reasonable level through this utility.

None of that works then I would say to do what @nephilim has advised regards to ensuring that the audio files included with the application actually work

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Depends on the file. I have seen WAV files which were encoded as MP3 and then just had the extension changed, which caused no ends of problems. If possible, convert one to MP3 and see if that works. If not, then the files are a problem.
    Thanks, can't do that as the files are included in the website i.e. EducationCity etc. Tried the Media Player fix and still no joy. Its annoying as I know the h'phones work and it plays mp3's fine!

Thank Post
    And of course check the volume settings for those applications if they exist....

7. Thanks to spadam from:

mac_shinobi (20th January 2014)

Thank Post
    If it is on a website - just curious

If you try a different web browser so google chrome / firefox ( is that any different ) , if so maybe remove all history / auto complete history and restore IE to defaults

Try again in IE ?

Also what version of IE are you using ( presuming you use IE of course ) ?

Thank Post
    Just from memory, some sound issues resolved by Internet Options:

Sound IE.jpg

Or sound device options in control panel:

Sound.jpg

Kol.
    Last edited by Koldov; 20th January 2014 at 11:46 AM.

Thank Post
    No not just web sites, even tried playing a sound effect in Scratch. Now heres the strange bit, just went to a folder containing mp3 and wav, played them no problem, now everything works as normal! but....another child reported the same issue on another PC, went to test it and thats now fine just by logging back on! I give up! Glad I'm away at BETT for two days this week!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread