+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Quiet Network cabinets v IP54 Cabinets in Technical; I was reading an article as I need to buy a network rack. It is going to be close to ...

Thank Post

Quiet Network cabinets v IP54 Cabinets

I was reading an article as I need to buy a network rack. It is going to be close to the main office i.e next door in a prefab broom cupboard which is a bit dusty / damp.
    I'm a bit concerned about the servers i) noise and ii) the mild humidity in the broom cupboard.

The article at http://www.commsbuyer.com/Buyers_Gui..._Cabinets.html talked about acoustic cabinets for noise reduction and separately it mentioned IP54 which I understand is a standard to do with tough environments. However I couldn't work out whether there is such a thing as an acoustic IP54 server rack ??

Thank Post
    IP54 = Dust Protected and water splash proof

Dust can still get in, but it mustn't cause harm if it does. A bit odd on a rack, I'd have thought as it isn't the rack that would suffer harm per-se. I doubt it will stop water vapour either.

3. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

magicbox (17th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Servers + Damp Broom cupboard + office staff in close proximity = Chronic cluster whine.

No one is going to be happy with this. The servers won't be. The staff even less so if they decide to shut down. (Without AC you have a hot humid broom cupboard when you switch your servers on). The office staff won't be happy, they will be able to hear them through the wall. I know office staff NEVER moan, they put up with changes in temperature, noise, light and just accept it all with their usual sunny disposition. Seriously though I have had office staff raise calls because the Sun's in the wrong place and they can't see the screen! That is CALLS, well I didn't move the sun did I! The cleaners will moan because it's in their cupboard. You won't be happy because you know deep inside it's in the wrong place.

EDIT: If you find a cabinet that won't let water vapour and dust in or sound out, it won't let heat out either. Tell the head that you have completed a feasibility study of installing the servers there and it will cost an extra £20 000 for the AC. It'll much cheaper cabling another more suitable room.
    Last edited by GeekyPete; 17th January 2014 at 02:38 PM.

5. Thanks to GeekyPete from:

Thank Post
    Thanks Andrew_C and GeekyPete. After what has been said maybe I should think about somehow getting a better space.

Thank Post
    Have a look at the APC Netshelter CX. In a previous non edu job we used a few of these when they were Kell Systems racks and you could get the cooling built into the rack and vented out through a pipe in a wall, with filters etc on. They're not cheap, but do the job very well.

8. 2 Thanks to teejay:

GeekyPete (17th January 2014), magicbox (17th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by magicbox View Post
    I was reading an article as I need to buy a network rack. It is going to be close to the main office i.e next door in a prefab broom cupboard which is a bit dusty / damp.
    I'm a bit concerned about the servers i) noise and ii) the mild humidity in the broom cupboard.
    In an enclosed cupboard you're going to need cooling, which will remove damp and dust for you anyway. Modern air conditioning is really quite quiet, both the internal and external parts, and if the location is kept cool the servers might not crank their fans up to produce that much noise anyway. If this is actually a cupboard you're talking about here, I'm guessing your best option might be to line it with sound insulation and install cooling (you'll need a route to the outside somewhere nearby, of course). Our recent air conditioning cost around £2,500 including parts, delivery, installation and VAT.
    Last edited by dhicks; 17th January 2014 at 05:25 PM.

10. Thanks to dhicks from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread