+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Inventory of whole school - what to use? in Technical; I keep (or try to keep up to date) an Excel spreadsheet of IT kit in the School. The Bursar ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Inventory of whole school - what to use?

I keep (or try to keep up to date) an Excel spreadsheet of IT kit in the School. The Bursar want's a comprehensive database of all kit in the school built including IT but also other kit.

What do other schools use to do this with?

I'm not getting lumbered with adding all the other kit on by the way!!

Thank Post
    When I started here it was Seton Assetguard, which was pretty horrible as it was basically just an msaccess database with a front end and it was quite cumbersome program wise, now we use spiceworks though, it has a dedicated virtual machine and trawls the network for devices and records their information.

I add in anything manually thats not readily scannable on the network, such as cameras, tablets, whiteboards, I cant see why you cant make it inclusive of other items like televisions and such, its quite easily adaptable.

It also does require a fair bit of fine tuning I will say, to turn off about 75% of its "helpful scanning features" to make it run better.
    Last edited by rich_tech; 13th January 2014 at 08:25 AM.

3. Thanks to rich_tech from:

speckytecky (13th January 2014)

Thank Post
    I've always used an OpenOffice spreadsheet. It's proven technology, having worked well in 5 different jobs so far.

5. Thanks to unixman_again from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Spiceworks. Will automatically gather info for network connected devices and allows you add any custom items. You can give logins for other staff to add their own bits, eg the caretaker to add furniture etc.

7. 2 Thanks to sparkeh:

Novalee (13th January 2014), speckytecky (13th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We use Asset Trac. Its not *too* bad, but is effectively just a fancy spreadsheet with a Windows Mobile 6.5 app that works with it for mobile scanning. We've had a few issues with that app though, so I'm not convinced by it. Asset Management - Asset Identification, Audits and Asset tracking software

Spiceworks is great but nearly entirely useless for asset management from a finance point of view (so, including things like depreciation).

9. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post
    We used to use an access database for IT-only things, but about a year ago it was decided to have one big inventory for everything. After a bit of shopping round, we settled on School Asset Manager | The only complete asset management solution for education and are pleased with it. It uses QR codes and a mobile app (available on iTunes and the Google store at the moment) to add things and it's very quick and easy. You also have options for including things like photos or videos, plus it can track depreciation etc. too.

I've no idea how it stacks up against others pricewise as I wasn't involved in that part of it, but it is a nice system

11. 2 Thanks to Valyyn:

SchoolAssetManager (22nd May 2014), speckytecky (13th January 2014)

Thank Post
    We use Wasp Mobile Asset, a barcode based asset system.

I've used plenty of different systems over the years and this is easily the best. The combination of barcode asset tags and a hand held scanner means no more fiddling with bits of paper.

13. Thanks to Gigabyte from:

Epick (11th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    School Asset Manager being used here

15. Thanks to winng from:

SchoolAssetManager (22nd May 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for that. Sent them an e-mail enquiry - no phone number given by me, within about 3 minutes I had a fairly hard sell telephone call. Way out of our price league anyhow as they make no differentiation between a school with 70 students - same price as if we had 1700!

Quote Originally Posted by Valyyn View Post
    We used to use an access database for IT-only things, but about a year ago it was decided to have one big inventory for everything. After a bit of shopping round, we settled on School Asset Manager | The only complete asset management solution for education and are pleased with it. It uses QR codes and a mobile app (available on iTunes and the Google store at the moment) to add things and it's very quick and easy. You also have options for including things like photos or videos, plus it can track depreciation etc. too.

I've no idea how it stacks up against others pricewise as I wasn't involved in that part of it, but it is a nice system

Thank Post
    Parago, Parago, Parago.

We have trialled Wasp, Spiceworks, our own access database and Real Asset and without a doubt Parago is the most comprehensive, easiest to set up and most useful.

We have almost every item in the school in it, including minibuses and the genie lift!

18. Thanks to Oaktech from:

Thank Post
    Another vote from me from Parago here.

Thank Post
    I'm in a similar position to the OP - The school has a very creaky asset management spreadsheet updated by hand. I'd quite like to drag it out of the 1980's and maybe use RFID tags (so the little darlings can't deface a QR/Barcode).
    Another consideration is our school is very leery of subscription and would prefer a "buy once, only pay more for updates" approach.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimon View Post
    I'm in a similar position to the OP - The school has a very creaky asset management spreadsheet updated by hand. I'd quite like to drag it out of the 1980's and maybe use RFID tags (so the little darlings can't deface a QR/Barcode).
    Another consideration is our school is very leery of subscription and would prefer a "buy once, only pay more for updates" approach.
    Then your option is pretty much just Real Asset manager as a buy once, comprehensive solution.

22. Thanks to Oaktech from:

Nimon (16th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    Then your option is pretty much just Real Asset manager as a buy once, comprehensive solution.
    Do you happen to know what the ballpark cost of that would be? I'm poking about their site now but I don't fancy asking for a quote right away and spend the next decade fending off a sales person

Thanks for the steer though, it does look suitable (price dependent)

Thank Post
    I use Google forms which is free and keeps things simple.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast