+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Server room environment monitoring in Technical; Originally Posted by localzuk For what I want to do, the Netbotz seems a bit too expensive - comes to ...
    Thank Post

Re: Server room environment monitoring

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    For what I want to do, the Netbotz seems a bit too expensive - comes to about £400 more than the openxtra/sensatronics stuff.
    But you said your budget was £700

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yes, and that would mean my overall cost would be about £1100 for a netbotz system containing all the bits I want - compared to the openxtra system costing a total of £800

Thank Post

I have been told to go ahead and buy a server room environment monitoring system and have a budget of around £500 - £700.

I would like this system to monitor the basics (rising water, room temperature, server cabinet access, power etc...) and I would like it to report to me via a) Nagios or similar during normal hours and b) via SMS message outsisde normal hours. The school landlines come into that room, so the monitor could interface with them or if necessary, a mobile gateway could be purchased (would have to be included in the cost above).

So, any suggestions/ideas how people do it at the moment?
    I don't know where you're getting £1100 for the configuration you want.

You've asked to monitor the basics, and the netbotz 320 rackmount base appliance costs £499 ERP. particule, temperature, humidty sensors AND the gsm modem should add up to know more than £400. You're using nagios so you don't need WUG or OPV integration. That's only £100 more than your other option. And that's before even speaking to a reseller who may be able to get you further discounts. I'm not quite sure what additional sensors or accessories you're adding (probably unnecessarily) that bumps the figure up to £1100 for the 'basics' you need.

Anyway, I don't work for APC so you can buy whatever takes your fancy - and your option looks perfectly decent. But don't discount something BEFORE you find out what you can really get for your money.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by torledo
    I have been told to go ahead and buy a server room environment monitoring system and have a budget of around £500 - £700.

I would like this system to monitor the basics (rising water, room temperature, server cabinet access, power etc...) and I would like it to report to me via a) Nagios or similar during normal hours and b) via SMS message outsisde normal hours. The school landlines come into that room, so the monitor could interface with them or if necessary, a mobile gateway could be purchased (would have to be included in the cost above).

You've asked to monitor the basics, and the netbotz 320 rackmount base appliance costs £499 ERP. particule, temperature, humidty sensors AND the gsm modem should add up to know more than £400. You're using nagios so you don't need WUG or OPV integration. That's only £100 more than your other option. And that's before even speaking to a reseller who may be able to get you further discounts. I'm not quite sure what additional sensors or accessories you're adding (probably unnecessarily) that bumps the figure up to £1100 for the 'basics' you need.

Anyway, I don't work for APC so you can buy whatever takes your fancy - and your option looks perfectly decent. But don't discount something BEFORE you find out what you can really get for your money.
    Well, from the reseller I have spoken to, a netbotz unit with a water sensor (flooding sensor), 4 door sensors and 1 room temperature sensor. Plus the SMS part came to nearly £1100...

Thank you for the suggestion, but it doesn't do what we want for the price. Also, it is rude of you to say 'probably unnecessarily' as you don't know the specifics.

Thank Post

Well, from the reseller I have spoken to, a netbotz unit with a water sensor (flooding sensor), 4 door sensors and 1 room temperature sensor. Plus the SMS part came to nearly £1100...

Thank you for the suggestion, but it doesn't do what we want for the price. Also, it is rude of you to say 'probably unnecessarily' as you don't know the specifics.
    I said 'probably unnecessarily' becuase resellers will quote for items that are not required often overspeccing. That's particularly the case if as an end-user you're not familiar with the product. Always good to get a breakdown of the component parts, and as I've said the prices for the APC solutoins is advertised on the web so you're not left groping in the dark when comparing with how a reseller has priced the solution. That's how I came to my figure of £900 because I viewed the ERP prices for the sensors and base appliance and matched that with your basic requirements. I'm doubly convinced seeing as your sensor requirements are modest with just a handful of sensors.

Anyway good luck to you with the solution you've chosen. Didn't mean to be rude.

Thank Post

I just have a heat monitor for my UPS so it can shut everything down when it gets too hot. I decided that monitoring with no action wasn't that useful as I need it to not burst into flames when I'm asleep or unable to get onsite (like evenings, weekends, holidays).

I guess water would be useful seeing as last winter I had water coming in under the door and through the roof. Luckily only one cabinet got a little wet and the ups shutdown when the switch's plug shorted out. Stopped a foot short of my high value cabinet. Nothing broke in the end

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Water is one of my main worries - as the water table is roughly 20mm below the surface of the floor in that area... and the actual room is underground.

Is there such a thing as a waterproof cabinet? :P

Thank Post

@localzuk: If you attach some water wings to the bottom of your rack it will simply float up as the water pours in :P

On a more serious note, you could use 47u cabs and leave the bottom 5u or so empty (blanked off) just incase water does get in.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    @localzuk: If you attach some water wings to the bottom of your rack it will simply float up as the water pours in :P

On a more serious note, you could use 47u cabs and leave the bottom 5u or so empty (blanked off) just incase water does get in.
    You just get crushed to death then when the cabinet falls over when you try and move it :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Lol, but I'm not strong enough to life the 2 UPS's 5U higher in the cabinet, and there isn't enough room for 2 people to move them :P

Thank Post

Lol, but I'm not strong enough to life the 2 UPS's 5U higher in the cabinet, and there isn't enough room for 2 people to move them :P
    Try taking out the batteries first

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Lol, still not strong enough - I'm too much of a wimp :P

Thank Post

Lol, still not strong enough - I'm too much of a wimp :P
    I once had to lift an Xserve RAID (albeit without disks) into the bottom of our rack on my own. Sounds easy, but in cramped conditions it was really *painful*

unfortunately had no choice as only female members of staff were around at that time.

Didn't make the same mistake with our ibm array which weighed in at 25Kilos.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12