+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, New SAN for Veeam Backups? in Technical; Hi All, I'm looking for a cheapish SAN which will specifically used for Veeam backups. I've been looking at QNAP ...
    Thank Post

New SAN for Veeam Backups?

Hi All,

I'm looking for a cheapish SAN which will specifically used for Veeam backups.

I've been looking at QNAP SANs and would probably need at most 8TB storage at most but potentially with the capacity to upgrade. Sorry should have mentioned, RAID 5 would be great in a ideal world too.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks
    Last edited by RobD; 7th January 2014 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Addded text

Thank Post
    So you need a target for your backups? Look at the Netgear ReadyNAS devices as well the larger ones are Supermicro and we have had them running as iscsi SANs for over 4 years now.
    As far as upgrading later this likely to be limited to Disk replacements as expandable chassis are not a feature of "cheapish" devices.
    We also use Veeam to back up from RN4200 to RN2100 and replicate recovery points to another site.

Thank Post
    Synology and Qnap are both good for this sort of thing. I slightly prefer the interface on Synology. I have a Qnap thats been in about a year, and a Synology for about 4 months. No problem with either of them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RobD View Post
    I've been looking at QNAP SANs and would probably need at most 8TB storage at most but potentially with the capacity to upgrade. Sorry should have mentioned, RAID 5 would be great in a ideal world too.
    I haven't had much luck with our QNAP device recently - replacing a worn-out disk seemed to flumox it somewhat, although it did eventually (after a day or so) become responsive again. 8TB is easy enough these days - even a small 4-drive device would do with 4TB drives. Go for RAID 6 or RAID 10, though - modern larger-sized disks can suddenly decide they have errors during a scan for an array rebuild if you have to replace a drive, resulting in a RAID array that doesn't rebuild properly.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies all, I'm interested in the QNAPs but will have a look at these other options. I'm struggling slightly as I've come from corporate where'd we'd buy a really expensive NetApp SAN without blinking to stfuggling to purchase a grands worths of backup storage but hey ho.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Picked up our Synology DS2413+ a little while ago and bought 4 x 4TB drives for it. It's a great box and performs extremely well. Capacity easily goes to 48TB and no doubt further when larger drives arrive.

Lots of configuration possibilities, easy to set up as one or multiple iSCSI targets. It's no SAN but for backup and basic iscsi targets it's more than sufficient.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 10th January 2014 at 03:02 PM.

Thank Post
    We have a number of QNAP rackmount units used for shared storage and replication and a synology for backup, both makes are pretty good but I was a little peeved that the synology would not do iscsi multipathing though.

Thank Post
    I use ready nas devices for our veeam backups, never had issues. Ordered another yesterday, and will be ordering another come Monday.

Thank Post
    I'm about to do the same thing.

I have had a quote for a Netgear ReadyNAS 2120 8TB (expandable) which has a 5 year warranty for just over a grand. Seems to have had a few good reviews so I'm going to order it once our entire finance department come back from being off sick!

Thank Post
    Ordered me a 12TB one yesterday for a yearly archive

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread