+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Wireless repeater for Draytek Vigor 2900 in Technical; What access point is most compaitble for draytek vigor 2900 as a repeater?...

Thank Post

Wireless repeater for Draytek Vigor 2900

What access point is most compaitble for draytek vigor 2900 as a repeater?

Thank Post

Re: Wireless repeater for Draytek Vigor 2900

Anything that supports WDS and a matching set of encryption protocols.

I have always used Draytek's in home/small business solutions however be aware of the following;

The latest 2900's seems to lock up the routing tables when the wireless link is stressed, only a reboot will fixit.
    I have never managed to find a compatible wireless NIC to run in 108 turbo mode.

The latest implementations of WPA2 on Netgear, Draytek and several other low cost routers is dubious to say the least.

At one site I have had to fall back to 64bit wep because that is the only setting that is compatible with all of the different clients used!

On another site when an IPhone attaches to an AP using WPA2 -TKIP all other clients can attach but cannot obtain an IP. Remove the IPhone reboot the AP all back to normal!

Where am I going with this?, turn off the wireless on the draytek and use it just as a router get a decent AP to do the wireless your going to save yourself a lot of hair loss.

Thank Post

yeah, i've had the 2900 for a few years now, it used to be a bit unreliable but now it seems fine, and 4 computers access the internet via the router in wireless mode. The main reason i wanted to find an AP that has good compatibility with the router is to be able to extend the wireless signal to further distances, and even with a better AP i don't think the wireless signal would be as strong as having 2 wireless routers/AP (one repeater).

Thank Post

In that case may I suggest you consider a powerline extender as an alternative.
    http://www.netgear.co.uk/extra/wallp...er_wgxb102.php

I used to have the entire 2.4Ghz spectrum to myself a year ago, now I share the airspace with no less than 12 of my neighbours!

I have installed a 5ghz point for the main stuff now, but my Netgear Skypephone is no longer usable due to the interference levels and my IPAQ well that is usally desensed by a passing mobile, so no chance there.

Now I have a selection of powerline devices around the house/garden/shed/workshop instead.
    I use Netgear HDX101's for a variety of uses, such as the media streaming box and the bridge between House and workshop.
    There's always a spare lying around for emergencies or visitors who don't have AB/G wireless.

Thank Post

yeah thanks, that's better than buying a repeater, it's so much easier to use and looks better.

Thank Post

oh i've recently read some reviews for the product, and there seems to be compatibility and "heating up" problems. Do you use a netgear router? and have you found any problems with the plugs becoming very hot when left plugged in for a long time?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

I've use the powerline ones in some places and they are very good products and work well.

Thank Post

They do get warm but as they have to drop AC mains down to LV to run the opto isolators.
    I have two here that have been on all weekend and they are "Warm" I wouldn't claim that they are "HOT" but there are some paranoid people out there that would call the fire brigade for any reason.
    I should try and plug one into a power consumption reader and see how many watts they use, but I wouldn't think it get's any warmer than my TFT's power adapter.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread