+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Replacing disk in QNAP NAS in Technical; After little more than a year it looks as if we have a failed disk on one of our QNAP ...

Thank Post

Replacing disk in QNAP NAS

After little more than a year it looks as if we have a failed disk on one of our QNAP NAS boxes. Have done checks and scans and it comes back with bad blocks.
    Question is, when replacing it, do I need the exact same model number of drive? They are all 2Tb Seagate disks, exact model number ST2000DM001-9YN164 which I don't seem to be able to find from anywhere in the UK. I can find a ST2000DM001 but I presume it will be a slightly different model with different firmware - will this be ok?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 812 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As long as it's on the compatibility chart you won't hit any problems: QNAP Systems, Inc. - Network Attached Storage (NAS) - Products - Compatibility - 3.5" HDD

Just be aware, if you mix platter speeds you'll be brought down to the lowest speed for all drives.

Thank Post
    I have got a qnap with Seagate ST31000528AS CC38 on raid 5 and replaced one of them with a Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN1CC4C - actually higher capacity and it rebuilt in the raid ok - so guessing you would be ok.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    After little more than a year it looks as if we have a failed disk on one of our QNAP NAS boxes. Have done checks and scans and it comes back with bad blocks.
    We have a QNAP box full of 2TB WD disks. Replacing a harddrive seemed to cause it to freeze up - no response from the web-based console, nothing informative from the front LCD display. It did eventually come back to life after a day or two, probably after syncing the new disk into the array, and this was on a non-production server so I wasn't all that worried about it, but you might want to allow a fair bit of time for the server to add the new disk to your RAID array, and you might want to expect the server to be unavailable during that period. All our 2TB drives are matching models, too, so I don't definatly know that the QNAP box will handle mis-matched models, although I would certainly think so - QNAP seem to use Linux software RAID rather than a dedicated controller, and that should have no problem dealing with different drive makes. You might want to check that the "2TB" drive size of your new drive matches (or exceeds) that of your current drives - if "2TB" means a few bytes less the new drive will fail to add to the existing array, you could go for a 3TB drive just to be on the safe side.
    Last edited by dhicks; 2nd January 2014 at 11:18 AM.

5. Thanks to dhicks from:

tech_guy (2nd January 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    As long as it's on the compatibility chart you won't hit any problems: QNAP Systems, Inc. - Network Attached Storage (NAS) - Products - Compatibility - 3.5" HDD

Just be aware, if you mix platter speeds you'll be brought down to the lowest speed for all drives.
    Thanks for that. Wonderful news about the ST2000DM001:

Note25
    This hard drive series initially passed our lab compatibility test and was included in the recommended HDD list. However, during the last few months, we have received an overwhelming number of support requests regarding this hard drive series. The high failure rate of this hard drives series has raised concerns over risks of data loss. Therefore, we have no choice but to remove this series from the recommended HDD list. For users who have already installed this series of HDD on their Turbo NAS, QNAP will continue to provide technical supports as requested.

So not sure what to do now! I've sent them a support request to see what they suggest, but worried about the whole lot now!
    Last edited by sidewinder; 2nd January 2014 at 01:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Hopefully not side tracking but just wanted to know for future reference ( as may be looking at getting a NAS for home use and was considering a qnap or synology )

Is it just a case of take out the bad hard drive ( that is having issues ) and stick the new / replacement one in and the NAS does the rest with regards to re-building the RAID over a period of hours or days etc or do you have to do something specific in order to replace the faulty hard drive or what exactly ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Is it just a case of take out the bad hard drive ( that is having issues ) and stick the new / replacement one in and the NAS does the rest with regards to re-building the RAID over a period of hours or days etc
    Yes, that was pretty much it - the QNAP's interface reported an issue on one of the disks (not an actual failure, it rather sensibly reported SMART-reported issues before that), I took the disk out and replaced it with a spare (same model - we bought spares when we bought the drives), the QNAP box rebuilt the array, although as pointed out above it did take rather a long time about it (a couple of days, I think, with 2TB drives) and didn't seem to give any useful feedback / functinality while it was doing it.

9. Thanks to dhicks from:

mac_shinobi (2nd January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Yes, that was pretty much it - the QNAP's interface reported an issue on one of the disks (not an actual failure, it rather sensibly reported SMART-reported issues before that), I took the disk out and replaced it with a spare (same model - we bought spares when we bought the drives), the QNAP box rebuilt the array, although as pointed out above it did take rather a long time about it (a couple of days, I think, with 2TB drives) and didn't seem to give any useful feedback / functinality while it was doing it.
    Thanks - handy to know ref getting a spare drive or two when purchasing the drives for the NAS

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread