+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Hardware Thread, New PC £500 Budget - What shall I do?! in Technical; Originally Posted by sonofsanta That monitor you have picked out is VGA only, btw - DVI is (to my eye) ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    That monitor you have picked out is VGA only, btw - DVI is (to my eye) much sharper. I'm particularly fussy about image quality though (where I can't really tell the difference between audio quality, MP3 bitrates etc.) so YMMV.
    Yeah, I decided this morning a DVI would be better! Just picking a decent one now! :P

Thank Post
    I'm ordering tonight for those of you who wanted to know what I went with. Ended up spending double the original budget mentioned in this thread. Oops! Haha Ordering from Chillblast!

Specs:

Cooler Master CM-690 II Lite Dominator Case
    Intel Core i5 4670K Haswell Processor Overclocked to up to 4.2GHz
    Xigmatek Gaia Quiet CPU Cooler

Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste
    Asus Z87-K Motherboard
    8GB PC3-10666 1333MHz DDR3 Memory Vengeance Black (2 x 4GB sticks)
    Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Graphics Card
    1000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk - 6Gbps
    24x SATA DVD-RW Drive
    FSP Premium Grade 80+ Certified 600W PSU
    Onboard High Definition Audio
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    23" Iiyama Prolite X2377HDS IPS Widescreen TFT Monitor

802.11N Wireless PC E Adaptor
    K&M too!

Thanks for all the help!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by L3OUGH View Post
    Ended up spending double the original budget mentioned in this thread. Oops!
    That's always the danger, you look at a PSU (say), then notice there's a better one that's only a small bump in price, but then the next one gets you modular cables, then one above that is 80+ Silver not Bronze, but then 80+ Gold isn't that much more... and before you know it you've got a PSU costing more than double where you started.

Still, that's a nice case (still wish I'd gotten that one instead of the Silverstone I have), nice CPU & mobo, decent GPU that'll eat anything current at 1080p... you'll not be disappointed, I don't think

But no SSD? I'd really thoroughly recommend one as a boot drive... you know, if your budget can stretch...

Thank Post
    That's always the danger, you look at a PSU (say), then notice there's a better one that's only a small bump in price, but then the next one gets you modular cables, then one above that is 80+ Silver not Bronze, but then 80+ Gold isn't that much more... and before you know it you've got a PSU costing more than double where you started.

Still, that's a nice case (still wish I'd gotten that one instead of the Silverstone I have), nice CPU & mobo, decent GPU that'll eat anything current at 1080p... you'll not be disappointed, I don't think

But no SSD? I'd really thoroughly recommend one as a boot drive... you know, if your budget can stretch...
    Thanks, I've been thinking long and hard on things, this being my first high end one I don't think I've done too bad. Even though you'll ALWAYS find someone giving something a bad review no matter what! So I've gone for that setup and not changing it now. And yes, I'd love an SSD but I just can't afford to stretch my budget any further! But it's deffo something that'll be an upgrade in the future along with 16GB Vengeance RAM!!

And yeah I hope the GPU is going to perform as well as I think it will! As I can't go SLI I wanted a beefy one! :P

Thank Post
    That's a great setup - SSD, more RAM, even more powerful GPU - you have to draw the line somewhere and that looks like a decent place to do so.

6. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

L3OUGH (7th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    That's a great setup - SSD, more RAM, even more powerful GPU - you have to draw the line somewhere and that looks like a decent place to do so.
    I'm glad you think I have drawn the line at the right place, an SSD and more RAM will go in eventually like I've mentioned but that's lot alone has already totted a pinch above 4 figures! No more now haha! Pretty excited tbh! Gotta wait for it to be built, stress tested and delivered now! :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think anyone would argue that was a bad build - everyone will have preferences on where they'd spend the money (for gaming, I'd still emphasise the GPU over CPU, even more than you've done here) but you'll find a lot of sites recommending something very close to what you've gone for, and everything looks a decent component (i.e. you've not skimped on the case or PSU).

I would say: SLI/Crossfire aren't worth it, IME. I had CrossFired 5770's until recently and the grief with drivers, stuttering and constant nagging worry of "is it working as well as it could?" isn't worth the aggro. A powerful single GPU is better than a pair of GPU's. If you can get a 760 cheap off eBay then it might be worthwhile, but otherwise I'd just sit on the 760 for another three or four years and then splurge on a big GPU upgrade then - the rest of your kit will still be solid and sufficient by that point, it's a really good foundation you've got there. The 760 is at least on a par with anything the consoles will push, and 2GB of RAM is as much as you'll get on all but the priciest of cards now, so it'll serve you well for a good few years yet

9. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

L3OUGH (7th January 2014)

Thank Post

Thank Post
    I may have the SSD and case fans off you if you'd split it up? Not prepared to pay mega bucks though :P

Thank Post
    I don't think anyone would argue that was a bad build - everyone will have preferences on where they'd spend the money (for gaming, I'd still emphasise the GPU over CPU, even more than you've done here) but you'll find a lot of sites recommending something very close to what you've gone for, and everything looks a decent component (i.e. you've not skimped on the case or PSU).

I would say: SLI/Crossfire aren't worth it, IME. I had CrossFired 5770's until recently and the grief with drivers, stuttering and constant nagging worry of "is it working as well as it could?" isn't worth the aggro. A powerful single GPU is better than a pair of GPU's. If you can get a 760 cheap off eBay then it might be worthwhile, but otherwise I'd just sit on the 760 for another three or four years and then splurge on a big GPU upgrade then - the rest of your kit will still be solid and sufficient by that point, it's a really good foundation you've got there. The 760 is at least on a par with anything the consoles will push, and 2GB of RAM is as much as you'll get on all but the priciest of cards now, so it'll serve you well for a good few years yet
    ^^ That was my thinking when I decided to 'draw the line'! Glad people agree with me and think it's a solid first build!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Id like to sell it as a whole at the moment... I am flexible on price however.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Id like to sell it as a whole at the moment... I am flexible on price however.
    PM me if you decide to split it up!

Thank Post
    Will do

Thank Post
    Sorry to just drop by into this post like this although I built a gaming desktop a while back when 1155 socket was new and bought a Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor around £30 but spent £150 on the HD 7770 GPU I never came across any game that struggled... heck I only sold it 2 months ago it was playin Batman Arkham Origins at almost Ultra settings and getting a decent 52fps average aswell! With an SSD you may not believe it but this thing flew it was fast to boot and open programmes never had an issue even though the processor was just a lil Pentium handled tasks amazingly! I think spending more on a GPU and a few quid less on CPU is always the better option!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Actually, niether do I. Sort of thing I'd try if I had one lying around. That said, remembering how well Win95 ran (full IE active desktop and compressed hard drive on a 486DX2/50 with 8Mb RAM) - it's probably for the best we don't.

>mode -evangilise /enabled

That's why I hate PC's. I don't think I've ever had one that's lasted more than 6 months before the HDD needs reformatting and everything loading on from scratch. Never seem to have that problem with Macs.

At home I find the combination of PS4 and iPad gives me 99.999% of all the computing power I ever need. And they are instant on
    A Mac Mini with an SSD and an external graphics card using thunderbolt ??

Although well outside of the £500 limit lol

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast