+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, What's causing this laptop screen weirdness? in Technical; Got this laptop that has a recurrent issue with its screen. Every so often the user brings it to me ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,858 Times in 1,251 Posts
    Blog Entries

What's causing this laptop screen weirdness?

Got this laptop that has a recurrent issue with its screen. Every so often the user brings it to me and the screen has gone kinda blueish and pattern is kinda marbley.
    screen 1.jpg
    screen 2.jpg

Everytime I just leave it for a while and it goes back to normal and it will be fine for a while. Don't think its a Windows thing as it affects the BIOS UI. I have taken it apart and refitted all the connections but that doesn't help.
    Its so weird as say then the Sophos pop up appears the lines are rolling up the pop up box.

As I say at some point it just rights itself but I can't see any pattern.

Any ideas? Its just fubar?
    Last edited by sparkeh; 13th December 2013 at 11:31 AM.

Thank Post
    You could try swopping the screen and cable with one you know works. Depending on the age/model of the Toshiba it could be gfx chip issues.

3. Thanks to difinity from:

sparkeh (13th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Try with an external, if it effects that too then it is likely the chip. If it doesn't then it is likely the screen.

Probably some bad soldering the gfx chip if it is the chip.

5. Thanks to Achandler from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok well I just put an external monitor on it through the vga port and that was fine so I am guessing screen.

This could be a stupid question... but as I don't have another model of that laptop, it is possible to try the screen of an old laptop? Are the connections standard? (I have never paid attention to be honest).

Thank Post
    Yes and No, some are but not all. Toshiba also have funny inverter connectors to as well.

Basically it depends on the ratings, get the screen out and google the model, there will eb lots of equivalents listed that you can try.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd say that looks likely to be a poor connection somewhere, try reseating all the screen connections and fiddling with the wires whilst it's turned on?

9. Thanks to ICTDirect_Dave from:

Thank Post
    I've just replaced a screen on an HP, connectors vary between makes and models. As said get the number off the back of the screen and pay attention to the little details. My HP screen has two options, right OR left hand connectors for the same model!

It was the weirdest screen problem I ever saw too, it would come in from the user with a whitescreen and some prodding/closing and opening the lid or just moving the screen would sort it.

As it seemed mostly a movement based error, I thought it may be cable related so ordered a new one and fitted it but no joy. In the end I just ordered a replacement screen and it's all fine now.

Kol.

11. Thanks to Koldov from:

Thank Post
    check the cables when your opening it up to look at the panel, its very rare somethings been loosened, especially if someone has "had a go" themselves on the quiet, I get a fair bit of it now with people following "Ifixit" guides and vids on youtube before coming to me about stuff.

13. Thanks to rich_tech from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    I have taken it apart and refitted all the connections but that doesn't help.
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    I'd say that looks likely to be a poor connection somewhere, try reseating all the screen connections and fiddling with the wires whilst it's turned on?
    I thought my HP one was cable based too, how far into it did you go? Right down to the connecter on the mobo? I just replaced a cable on an old ACER laptop and that was a breeze, just had to take two screws out of the back and take off the speaker/power button bezel and there was the connector. The HP one needed to be practically taken to bits!

As you've ruled out things like heat and driver corruption because it can happen at start-up in the bios, it definately looks hardware related.

For me it was worth the £15 punt to change the cable before I ordered an £80 screen.

Kol.

Edit: I fixed my GF's laptop a while back now, graphical corruption and all that. Turns out the fan had stopped working. Pulled it apart and cleaned it out, had no problems since. I thought it was toast for sure...
    Last edited by Koldov; 13th December 2013 at 12:02 PM.

15. Thanks to Koldov from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts
    PM Sent

Will stay subscribed but will say just ensure you disconnect both the laptops battery and mains charger / cable from the laptop when and during doing any work on the laptop.

All other things I can think of to do are outlined in the pm

1. Try better quality RAM ( sometimes cheap RAM can cause similar issues if the laptops graphics card is on-board )
    2. Suspend any encryption so you can disconnect the cmos battery for however long and then re-connect the cmos battery ( will need to make a note of some bios settings, more specifically SATA Modes ie AHCI vs compatability / IDE Mode ) and will have to re program / re-enter date / time settings etc
    3. Re-seat ( as mentioned above ) display cable connectors both the one going into the system board and possibly the one on the rear of the laptop screen

One thing I forgot to mention was to possibly update the BIOS on the laptop and update graphics card drivers

If all of that fails then cheaper to replace the display cable and the inverter cable before replacing the laptops screen.

If the RAM Memory module fixes the issue then just buy a replacement RAM Module for the laptop

As per @Koldov's comment - good call to clean out all / any fans of dust / debri's etc to reduce the amount of heat building up inside the laptop
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 13th December 2013 at 12:07 PM.

17. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok thanks everyone. Its confession time.

When I merrily said
    I have taken it apart and refitted all the connections but that doesn't help
    I actually reseated what *I thought* was the screen connection.
    This time I stripped the whole thing down as far as I could go and found that actually I had lost the cable when trying to trace it through the case (if you see what I mean). So I was reseating the wrong thing.

Got the right connection this time and the problem has gone away. Hopefully that's sorted it.

19. 2 Thanks to sparkeh:

Koldov (13th December 2013), mac_shinobi (13th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Much love bro. We've all been there (more times than I'd like to admit). Man hug sent. To all the mere mortals you will still be a master of the Dark Arts At least it's Friday!

kol.

21. Thanks to Koldov from:

mac_shinobi (13th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koldov View Post
    Much love bro. We've all been there (more times than I'd like to admit). Man hug sent. To all the mere mortals you will still be a master of the Dark Arts At least it's Friday!

kol.
    lol I've done that a few times ( the first few times )

Thank Post
    I started a thread on here a while back about the silly/stupid/worst (IT related) things people have done. Always reminds me of opening up the side of an old server tower, not long after I started (just for curiosity really as I'd never seen inside one). It was a big old Dell PowerEdge SC1420 and the whole side opened up like a door. Thing is I couldn't get it to shut properly and panicked a bit, didn't realise by repeatedly trying to ram it shut I was chewing through the SCSI cable that had become dislodged and trapped in the hinge/closing mechanism... (luckily it had been decomissioned).

Kol.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koldov View Post
    I started a thread on here a while back about the silly/stupid/worst (IT related) things people have done. Always reminds me of opening up the side of an old server tower, not long after I started (just for curiosity really as I'd never seen inside one). It was a big old Dell PowerEdge SC1420 and the whole side opened up like a door. Thing is I couldn't get it to shut properly and panicked a bit, didn't realise by repeatedly trying to ram it shut I was chewing through the SCSI cable that had become dislodged and trapped in the hinge/closing mechanism... (luckily it had been decomissioned).

Kol.
    Had to replace a laptop screen on a Lenovo and did not realise about ensuring the battery was removed ( the Lithium Ion not cmos ) prior to swapping the screen and ended up either blowing the back light on the laptop screen or the circuitry related to the back light and the replacement laptop screen was very dim, had to book a warranty call again to get them to replace the screen again and then was told about ensuring the battery and mains power was removed before doing any work. Upon looking at the hardware maintenance manuals that Lenovo do ( HMM ) it does state to ensure to remove the battery and the mains power from the laptop before doing any work on the laptop.

So whenever I work on laptops now I ensure there is no power connected
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 13th December 2013 at 01:45 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast