+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Any Ideas For A iMAC Alternitive in Technical; We already have 10 iMacs and 20 Macbooks but now my manager is looking to kit out one of our ...

Thank Post

Any Ideas For A iMAC Alternitive

We already have 10 iMacs and 20 Macbooks but now my manager is looking to kit out one of our computer suites with 30 iMacs. This wouldnt be a major problem if we had a mac server. Also I am not too keen on little naggy things about them, such as the no network activity light and the US keyboards .

I like the amount of space they save on the desks and lack of cables required. I have seen the Sony Vaio desktops with a similar style but only have drivers for vista, I need them to run on XP.

Was wondering if anyone had any iMac alternitives?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Any Ideas For A iMAC Alternitive

There's that RM One thing and Dell supposedly have one in the pipeline. Those are about the only ones I can think of.

Thank Post

Dell all ready have a space saving quasi-all-in-one. You have to specify a specific monitor and it includes a hook that the tiny PCs can hook on and you get a cover to go over the wires. It is a nice unit when all together but they had a very limited range of monitors when we looked at them.

Can recommend the RM ones though. The new adjustable height ones are quite nice too.

Thank Post

Thanks for the ideas! will have a look at the dell and rm, Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries

There is also this and this.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by shoughton
    We already have 10 iMacs and 20 Macbooks but now my manager is looking to kit out one of our computer suites with 30 iMacs. This wouldnt be a major problem if we had a mac server. Also I am not too keen on little naggy things about them, such as the no network activity light and the US keyboards .

I like the amount of space they save on the desks and lack of cables required. I have seen the Sony Vaio desktops with a similar style but only have drivers for vista, I need them to run on XP.

Was wondering if anyone had any iMac alternitives?

Thanks
    Err, why don't you either bite the bullet and buy an xserve. Or alternatively simply integrate you macs into your AD domain.

Seriously, there's no point in looking for all-in-one alternatives to the imac 'cos nothing even comes close. Plus your reasons for disliking the imacs are completey lame. No network light ? sure it's a little inconvenient but not exactly a major minus point is it ?

You're managers got completely the right idea about going for a suite of imacs..and if you've got the money for the project you'll have to insist on an xserve to manage the whole shebang. And use it to also manage the 10 you already have.

People on here are always whingeing about the price of the imacs, and yet you're comtemplating the vaio which is also expensive and not as well designed or thought out as the imac.

The RM one....the least said about that the better.

Plus the options theat localzuk suggested. Well lets just say I've just wasted a few seconds of my life that I'll never get back by clicking on those links.

Thank Post

These look the dogs dangly bits, but are a bit pricy.

http://b2b.sony.com/Solutions/subcat...tops/ls-series

ops: VISTA

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djm968

How much is it then - I couldnt find a price even by going to there online shop?

Ironic as I hear a lot of people saying something along the lines of "Macs are really expensive"

and now that sony and the likes are trying to do something similar to an imac and look at the prices they charge for an imac a like machine lol

Surely it would be easier to just dual boot it using bootcamp ( which is apart of leopard )

*shrugs* Maybe im missing the point here ?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by gecko
    Quote Originally Posted by djm968

How much is it then - I couldnt find a price even by going to there online shop?

Ironic as I hear a lot of people saying something along the lines of "Macs are really expensive"

and now that sony and the likes are trying to do something similar to an imac and look at the prices they charge for an imac a like machine lol

Surely it would be easier to just dual boot it using bootcamp ( which is apart of leopard )

*shrugs* Maybe im missing the point here ?
    You're not the only one missing the point here gecko, I'm totally lost as to why this dude is considering fitting an entire suite of those 19inch VAIO's in preference to imacs. Sure they're nice looking, reasonably powerful and they run windows. But the imacs do all of that aswell at roughly the same price. Plus with the imacs you can dual boot os x and vista biz or run parallels. I'm sure his manager is considering the imacs because he or she wants to run os x and maybe ilife in addition to windows. Or have they got a lot of money to spend and need an attractive all-in-one ? in which case nothing wrong with looking at the VAIO but his reasons for not going with the imac are completely lame.

It Looks like they're around £850 on sonystyle for the LS30e base model.

Funny how the antimacs on these forums will be drooling over this for the same reasons people dig the imac. And yet it is priced the same as the imac. but the imac is lambasted as being overpriced and under-specced and that people are only focussed on the aesthetics. Well this VAIO is all about aesthetics - I bet it doesn't have the same well thought out design as the imac. Which has gone through 4 generations of tweaking, and was the first good all-in-one. Not some copycat media center pc from a company who make style over substance laptops.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread