+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Toshiba Satellite Pro C660-2DH Not Powering On in Technical; Afternoon All Right, I've been given a laptop that came with a child to the school with a note saying ...
    Thank Post

Toshiba Satellite Pro C660-2DH Not Powering On

Afternoon All

Right, I've been given a laptop that came with a child to the school with a note saying "this is *** laptop, please can you introduce it to Broadfield"

Anyway, I powered it on, added the wireless network to it and, as it's on Home Premium, I was going to simply map the child in questions Home folder as a drive so they could access their work etc. I got the battery low warning, so went to get the power supply for it and when I came back, the machine had turned itself off, so I plugged it in, pressed the power button to try and resume it and the charge light came on, and the power light came on for a few seconds before turning back off and not doing anything.

I figured the battery was just really low, so left it to charge. When the charge light went green later in the day, I gave it another try, still the same thing, the charge light is on (all be it green now) and the power light comes on for a few seconds, the machine doesn't do anything and it turns off.

I've had it in pieces, reseated the RAM, replaced the BIOS Battery just in case, given it a clean out with an air duster as it was a bit dusty in there, and checked for any wire breaks, obvious "help I'm melting" style damage and tell tale black marks on the mother board, but nothing. Put it back together and still nada, doing the same thing.

There are a few places about on line that suggest removing the battery and power and holding the power button for 20 seconds to do some kind of reset, then plug back in just the AC and try powering it on, but that doesn't have any success.

I'm thinking about just leaving it with no power and the BIOS battery off for the time being and coming back in an hour to see if putting the battery back in etc resolves it, but I thought I'd also ask on here if anyone has any ideas what it might be or anything I could try to get this thing back up and running. The child in question has just been in IT and seen his laptop in pieces and said that it used to not switch on and off properly at his old school either, so I suspect it might have been dropped or something along the way and that there is actual damage somewhere, just nothing obvious (though there are no signs of it being dropped either).

Thanks all
    Andy

Thank Post
    Have you checked the thermal paste ? and for the big finger of "felt" between the fan and the heatsink, It could be an overheating issue.

3. Thanks to difinity from:

soveryapt (5th December 2013)

Thank Post
    It's not even powering on to be able to over heat, and ran fine for 20 mins or so when I was originally given it, but yeah, I checked the heat sink whilst I was in there.

Thank Post
    It was a bit of a long shot.
    You could also try removing the hard drive to see if it boots, and try an alternative power supply.

6. Thanks to difinity from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    It was a bit of a long shot.
    You could also try removing the hard drive to see if it boots, and try an alternative power supply.
    Aye, thanks again, but been through that. Borrowed the heads power supply as she has a Tosh too. I think the motherboard is probably goosed. The fan fires up, but nothing much else.

Thank Post
    iirc i had a batch of these that did this from the box(or something similar). remove battery remove psu cord. hold down power button for a while, release. plug in power cord power on add battery at some point

9. Thanks to sted from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    iirc i had a batch of these that did this from the box(or something similar). remove battery remove psu cord. hold down power button for a while, release. plug in power cord power on add battery at some point
    Yeah, went through that as that's the first thing I found on Google .. I think it's goosed so I'll have to chat to SLT to see about getting him a new one .. fun ..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    Yeah, went through that as that's the first thing I found on Google .. I think it's goosed so I'll have to chat to SLT to see about getting him a new one .. fun ..
    Only other thing that I have seen issue wise similar to what you describe is when or if a laptop has had a damaged USB Port and one or more of the copper pins inside is touching the outside of the usb port which shorts it out??

Failing that disconnect cmos battery for about 5 mins or so and re-connect and only connect the AC Cable back in ( not the battery ) if that works then insert the battery back etc

@soveryapt

Last edited by mac_shinobi; 5th December 2013 at 02:38 PM.

12. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Only other thing that I have seen issue wise similar to what you describe is when or if a laptop has had a damaged USB Port and one or more of the copper pins inside is touching the outside of the usb port which shorts it out??

Failing that disconnect cmos battery for about 5 mins or so and re-connect and only connect the AC Cable back in ( not the battery ) if that works then insert the battery back etc

@soveryapt

Ah, hadn't checked the USB Ports, but alas, that's not the case either. I've had it with zero power (including no BIOS battery) for about 45 mins to see whether that had any effect. It's almost like it's gone into hibernation when the battery was dying and just won't come back from it. Very strange ..

Thank Post
    Ah, hadn't checked the USB Ports, but alas, that's not the case either. I've had it with zero power (including no BIOS battery) for about 45 mins to see whether that had any effect. It's almost like it's gone into hibernation when the battery was dying and just won't come back from it. Very strange ..
    What about trying to power the laptop on with

1. the hard drive out of the laptop
    2. the cmos battery disconnected
    3. Take the optical drive out - I have had a few faulty optical drives that keep trying to read media when there is no media / cd / dvd etc in the drive and it keeps trying to read and will freeze or stop from booting ( although doubt it in this situation as you would hear or notice the drive trying to frantically read the drive as you can hear it spinning around etc )

Also if you take the ram out and try and power it on, I presume you get beep codes with regards to it detecting no ram installed ?

Also I presume it has the heat sink / fan assembly installed correctly so it's not that it is not powering on due to the CPU over heating etc ?
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 5th December 2013 at 02:48 PM.

15. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    What about trying to power the laptop on with

1. the hard drive out of the laptop
    2. the cmos battery disconnected
    3. Take the optical drive out - I have had a few faulty optical drives that keep trying to read media when there is no media / cd / dvd etc in the drive and it keeps trying to read and will freeze or stop from booting ( although doubt it in this situation as you would hear or notice the drive trying to frantically read the drive as you can hear it spinning around etc )

Also if you take the ram out and try and power it on, I presume you get beep codes with regards to it detecting no ram installed ?

Also I presume it has the heat sink / fan assembly installed correctly so it's not that it is not powering on due to the CPU over heating etc ?
    Yeah, tried most of those. The only thing I've not tried (as I don't have any silver compound on me) is actually removing and reseating the heatsink assembly, but it all looks in tact from a visual of it. The fan powers up for the few seconds the power light comes on for, but then (obviously) shuts off again.

As for beeps, I don't get anything, I don't even get the BIOS screen coming up.

17. Thanks to soveryapt from:

mac_shinobi (5th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Wonder - is the laptop still in warranty , maybe a call to Toshiba or whoever, if it is in warranty may get repaired that way, if it is out of warranty then wondering if they can suggest anything else to try as like you said it was powered on and working and then ran out of battery power and just powered off, odd that it won't power back on just because it ran out of battery.

Just had another thought - if you plug in an external vga or similar monitor and use the FN ( Function keys ) on the laptop to swap displays etc , do you get any display on the monitor

Just wondering if the back light or similar has blown or stopped working so looks like you are not getting anything due to the screen not working or being very dim ?
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 5th December 2013 at 04:23 PM.

19. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    I've seen similar with one of our 660's, there was a break in the monitor cable. Have you tried disconnecting the screen from the motherboard and connecting the laptop up to a external monitor, just as another thing to test.

21. 2 Thanks to notalot:

mac_shinobi (5th December 2013), soveryapt (5th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Wonder - is the laptop still in warranty , maybe a call to Toshiba or whoever, if it is in warranty may get repaired that way, if it is out of warranty then wondering if they can suggest anything else to try as like you said it was powered on and working and then ran out of battery power and just powered off, odd that it won't power back on just because it ran out of battery.

Just had another thought - if you plug in an external vga or similar monitor and use the FN ( Function keys ) on the laptop to swap displays etc , do you get any display on the monitor

Just wondering if the back light or similar has blown or stopped working so looks like you are not getting anything due to the screen not working or being very dim ?
    It's out of warranty as far as I know, but I will give Toshiba a call and find out, I guess a phone call wouldn't hurt [EDIT - Checked on the website, Warranty ran out a year back, the old authority only purchased it with a standard 12 month warranty on it! Grrr]. With regards to the dim display, it's not even keeping power to it - i.e. the fan comes on, then a few seconds later goes off, same timing as the power light on the front.

Quote Originally Posted by notalot View Post
    I've seen similar with one of our 660's, there was a break in the monitor cable. Have you tried disconnecting the screen from the motherboard and connecting the laptop up to a external monitor, just as another thing to test.
    I will try this with the VGA though to see if it is indeed a dodgy connection somewhere along the line.
    Last edited by soveryapt; 5th December 2013 at 04:23 PM.

23. Thanks to soveryapt from:

mac_shinobi (5th December 2013)

Thank Post
    It's out of warranty as far as I know, but I will give Toshiba a call and find out, I guess a phone call wouldn't hurt [EDIT - Checked on the website, Warranty ran out a year back, the old authority only purchased it with a standard 12 month warranty on it! Grrr]. With regards to the dim display, it's not even keeping power to it - i.e. the fan comes on, then a few seconds later goes off, same timing as the power light on the front.

I will try this with the VGA though to see if it is indeed a dodgy connection somewhere along the line.
    If it is the laptop display then may as stated above just be a case of disconnecting and re-seating the display cable ( Ribbon cable ) etc

25. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information