+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Toshiba Satellite Pro C660-2DH Not Powering On in Technical; I would guess the laptop is finished. I've had different models doing almost a similar thing and never found out ...
    Thank Post
    I would guess the laptop is finished. I've had different models doing almost a similar thing and never found out what it was. As a last ditch effort you could try reseating the cpu, that would be my best guess, otherwise it must be a motherboard problem I would have thought.

2. Thanks to Zourous from:

soveryapt (5th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 965 Posts
    I would be interested to know what happens with this laptop if you manage to try those other things, contact Toshiba and see what they say etc etc ....

Thanks @soveryapt

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I would be interested to know what happens with this laptop if you manage to try those other things, contact Toshiba and see what they say etc etc ....

Thanks @soveryapt
    Will do, though with Christmas shows Mon - Wed next week, it might be a few days! lol ..

5. Thanks to soveryapt from:

mac_shinobi (5th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Quick catch up on this .. I've not heard anything yet as to what to do with this laptop, I'm kind of hoping it's not goosed as then we get into the red tape of who has to pay for it as it's a laptop that was provided with the students disability funds and such .. if anyone has any further suggestions, that would be great ..

Anyway, I best get back to making sure 2 of the laptop trollies are fully functional for the staff inset tomorrow on B Squared .. lol ..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    Quick catch up on this .. I've not heard anything yet as to what to do with this laptop, I'm kind of hoping it's not goosed as then we get into the red tape of who has to pay for it as it's a laptop that was provided with the students disability funds and such .. if anyone has any further suggestions, that would be great ..

Anyway, I best get back to making sure 2 of the laptop trollies are fully functional for the staff inset tomorrow on B Squared .. lol ..
    I take it you have tried an external vga monitor / screen etc ?

8. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

soveryapt (2nd January 2014)

Thank Post
    I had a home job laptop do this on me and it gave me heart palpitations! The one in question only came back to life after essentially a strip down and rebuild. Removed cpu, ram, wlan mini card, BT mini card, HDD, CD drive, monitor, KB, batt. And then put the minimum back in (HDD, CPU, 1 stick of ram, external monitor, external KB) and it booted. I then went through the one-thing-at-a-time process untill something stopped it from working. Turned out in this case that it was the BT card. Left it out and it ran happily for days on soak test.

10. Thanks to Oaktech from:

soveryapt (2nd January 2014)

Thank Post
    I take it you have tried an external vga monitor / screen etc ?
    Yeah, still nothing .. I didn't really expect it would do anything as the power was just going off before it even had chance to do anything ..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    I had a home job laptop do this on me and it gave me heart palpitations! The one in question only came back to life after essentially a strip down and rebuild. Removed cpu, ram, wlan mini card, BT mini card, HDD, CD drive, monitor, KB, batt. And then put the minimum back in (HDD, CPU, 1 stick of ram, external monitor, external KB) and it booted. I then went through the one-thing-at-a-time process untill something stopped it from working. Turned out in this case that it was the BT card. Left it out and it ran happily for days on soak test.
    Cool, I'll give that a go when I'm (hopefully) sat around doing nothing tomorrow at this Inset (i.e. assuming all these other laptops work as they are currently doing when I'm putting them away and such! lol) .. hopefully I'll find some way of sorting this out ..

Thank Post
    Only other thing I can think of that we have seen with Lenovo T410 laptops is that the power on button is apart of the keyboard and the power on button becomes faulty and the only way to sort it is to replace the laptops keyboard ( assuming that the power on button is apart of the keyboard itself ) ?

Thank Post
    Only other thing I can think of that we have seen with Lenovo T410 laptops is that the power on button is apart of the keyboard and the power on button becomes faulty and the only way to sort it is to replace the laptops keyboard ( assuming that the power on button is apart of the keyboard itself ) ?
    Hmmm .. Could be a possibility I suppose as it is around the length of time it takes to the do the hold down the power button to force power off .. I'll see if I can find a spare Tosh that I can take a part to check it (though I guess depending on the power button, I could technically test it with a short wire) I do remember noticing that the power button was wired independently of everything else in there ..

15. Thanks to soveryapt from:

mac_shinobi (2nd January 2014)

Thank Post
    Best piece of advice.

Most likely the motherboard has fried. Check the keyboard failing that look in it check to see if there is a power supply. Some laptops go though the battery etc but some go directly into the motherboard (Then charge the battery after(sorry if this is an egg sucking lesson)). If the power cable goes directly onto the motherboard and it doesn't fire up past a bit of fan spinning then it can only be a few things;-

A Goosed power button/keyboard that is sending the wrong signals(usually some sort of pushed in button)
    A Goosed Processor (beyond unlikely and usually you would get a little more before it dies beeps or something but not a definate)
    A Goosed motherboard

RAM, wireless, other random stuff plugged into a motherboard would give you some form of beep if that were faulty(in theory. but hey, I still find myself liking memory when I get 3 post beeps so who knows)

17. Thanks to bencole from:

mac_shinobi (2nd January 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    The above is going to be the best thing to do. If it still won't power on then remove the RAM and try to power on to see if you get any beep codes

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information