+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Complete Switch Replacement Project in Technical; We are planning next summer upgrades and are looking into upgrading our 6 cabs around the school. Can anyone recommend ...

Thank Post

Complete Switch Replacement Project

We are planning next summer upgrades and are looking into upgrading our 6 cabs around the school.

Can anyone recommend any good companies that will quote install and advise us on our best course of action.

Thanks in advance

Stuart

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Net-Ctrl are a good option. As are CSE.

Thank Post
    Try our good friend @Millgate

4. 2 Thanks to fiza:

Millgate (3rd December 2013), rama1712 (12th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Blog Entries
    SoftCat did a good job on designing ours. We told them what we want, they spat out some solutions. Very good people to work with.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rama1712 View Post
    We are planning next summer upgrades and are looking into upgrading our 6 cabs around the school.

Can anyone recommend any good companies that will quote install and advise us on our best course of action.

Thanks in advance

Stuart
    Hi Stuart,

As Fiza said, we'd be happy to help you with this. We can work with you on any brand, on any solution.

If you drop me an email or a PM, I'll get right on it

Luke.jones@millgate.co.uk

Luke

7. Thanks to Millgate from:

rama1712 (12th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rama1712 View Post
    We did the same this summer. We used SwitchShop for the purchasing of switches - their advice was really, really good and I feel we wound up with the right devices for the right reasons. When you say "upgrading the cabinets" do you literally mean upgrading the physical network cabinets, and/or the wiring in between them, or do you just mean the switching equipment inside those cabinets? Do you plan on replacing your core switch? As a rough guide, it cost us around £40,000 for the switches (about the same size of network) and probably around that much again for the wiring between them.

If you're buying switches, I think it's worth getting ones that supporet OpenFlow / Software Defined Networking, if just to leave the option open for the future to use SDN to control your network.

9. 2 Thanks to dhicks:

njc235 (4th December 2013), rama1712 (12th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Net-Ctrl are a good option. As are CSE.
    Second that they did my big upgrade with me and were excellent pricing and we looked at many brands and option from a variety of resellers and Net Ctrl came out on top and the Juniper solution was perfect so much so it is a Juniper case study - http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...57155469,d.d2k and Youtube Video http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...57155469,d.d2k

Thank Post
    I have a number of years working in Schools/ Colleges and Unis and have used on many occasions a company called European Electronique (euroele.com)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As already mentioned.... NetCTRL or Softcat are two companies Ive worked with closely on a number of big projects in the past. Highly recommended.

Thank Post
    Thanks to all for suggestions we have connected a few companies on the suggestion list and so far been pleased with how thwey have respone. Today we hat staff from SwitchShop and never might a nicer bunch of guys not pushey and know there stuff lets see what the other companies come up with

14. Thanks to rama1712 from:

njc235 (16th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We worked with SwitchShop last Easter to upgrade our core and begin a roll out of upgraded switches (still on-going), and as said by @dhicks, really sound advice and pricing, and the two consultants we had come down were absolutely superb - got everything stacked and set up on one day, then VLANned the network the next day, and essentially spent all that time tutoring me - to the point I've continued stacking & VLANning on the command line myself. Cannot speak highly enough of them.

We also spoke to Net-Ctrl & SoftCat who were equally knowledgeable, but the solutions they proposed ultimately lost out because they weren't compatible with our existing 3COM SFPs, which represented a big saving on the core and going forward. Any of them lot will do right by you, IMHO.

Thank Post
    Gotta love Juniper, all Juniper here.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Second that they did my big upgrade with me and were excellent pricing and we looked at many brands and option from a variety of resellers and Net Ctrl came out on top and the Juniper solution was perfect so much so it is a Juniper case study - http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...57155469,d.d2k and Youtube Video http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...57155469,d.d2k
    Any thoughts vs HP? We are looking to do a similar refresh next year and have a quote for HP upgrade but I'm thinking of other options.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We moved from DLink to HP about 7 years ago. Works flawlessly. Definitely a good option to go for.

Nice and expandable at the core too - we have a HP ProCurve 5406zl, which has allowed us to install 10GbE for our new virtual server infrastructure without any hassle.
    Last edited by localzuk; 13th December 2013 at 09:24 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Any thoughts vs HP?
    I couldn't quite figure out what features Juniper switches provided over HP to justify the extra cost. Interestingly, this rather seems to be the thinking behind Software Defined Networking - instead of paying for propriatory, black-box switches stuffed full of features that you have no control over the implemnetation for, buy generic switching hardware that supports an SDN standard (OpenFlow, etc) and implement the features you need via your SDN controller. The HP switches we bought support OpenFlow, and I'm keen to give that a try and see what, exactly, it can do and how I can best go about using it. SDN doesn't seem like something that you can replace current switches with this time round, you might have to wait a few years until you can buy an off-the-shelf system with SDN support and a pre-defined SDN controller that will do the kind of things that Juniper's switches currently do. Most current SDN work seems to be being driven by Amazon, Google, Facebook, etc, who are large enough to be able to commision their own switch hardware if they need to, so again it might be a little while until useful features for the smaller business are available.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast