+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Gaming PC - £700 Budget, what should i get? in Technical; Originally Posted by Pyroman Haha! =D I can't make up my mind betweenthe AMD and Intel options, i think it's ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    Haha! =D I can't make up my mind betweenthe AMD and Intel options, i think it's a case of "oh but if i just spend a bit more" and also i know as far as gaming rigs go £700 isn't a masiive ammount of money but in real life it's a fair whack of money and i want something that'll do me for a good few years.
    This is always the problem with 'gaming rigs'! You're never done spending money tweaking and upgrading them. At least with a PS4/XB1 you know you spend £400 buying the thing then you're set for the next 5 years. If you buy a gaming PC now for £700 it'll almost certainly need a new video card to keep up in another 2-3 years time!

Intel CPU's FTW by the way!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 1,937 Posts
    I can't make up my mind between the AMD and Intel options
    If this rumour is to be believed, AMD are calling it quits on their line of 'FX' processors so if you did get one there would be zero potential for upgrades because all of their other processors use a different socket.

"Vishera" End Of The Line for AMD FX CPUs « TechPowerUp

The company will only focus on APUs from here onward...

Thank Post
    In the budget your spending Intel is going to be the way to go, as others have said the FX line is dead in the water, the FM2 platform was never intended to compete with in anything more than the budget to mid range. Unless AMD completely change their thinking they are leaving Intel to making the uber performance x86 chips.

Thank Post
    Well that's that sorted then i5 it is, cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 984 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Saying "get i5 because the FM2 platform has no upgrade path" is a bit disingenous though, because Intel chips are very rarely drop-in upgrades for older boards. A new gen of CPUs is almost always a new socket.

Honestly, for gaming my preference is to put massive emphasis on the GPU, as that's the key component for performance; CPU helps, yes, but not as much as bumping up a tier on the GPU. Unless you're Photoshopping all day every day, I'm not sure the seconds an i5 would save you on running heavy filters will make a big difference to your life.

Don't get me wrong, in an ideal build it'd be i5 all the way, but at £700 you have to make compromises and decisions, and for a build-once-never-upgrade I'd rather spend on the GPU. That said, if you do want to be able to upgrade in 4-5 years, it's a lot easier getting a new GPU than a new CPU, so in that regard a solid foundation of i5 will stand you in better stead. You gotta make your choice (and I gotta do some work at some point, seriously)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Don't get me wrong, in an ideal build it'd be i5 all the way, but at £700 you have to make compromises and decisions, and for a build-once-never-upgrade I'd rather spend on the GPU. That said, if you do want to be able to upgrade in 4-5 years, it's a lot easier getting a new GPU than a new CPU, so in that regard a solid foundation of i5 will stand you in better stead. You gotta make your choice (and I gotta do some work at some point, seriously)
    100% agree. Since this is a complete new build, as discussed in a previous post, you've got to factor in the hidden extras - about £150-£200 worth (unless you want to save £80 or so and go Linux). This means your PC build is nearer £500-550. Spending £150 on a CPU isn't going to leave much for everything else, unless you up the budget.

I'm tempted to go on eBuyer and post my idea of a rig for this budget - but I too have to do some work today/this week.

Thank Post
    FM2 has a decent upgrade path as yet to FM2+ - AMD have usually been a little better than Intel on this (forgetting FM1!). The AM2 line has been good - AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+. Across those four sockets it was possible to take CPUs backwards and forwards across the generations. Intel have been much tighter with that - look at the number of incompatible sockets released since Nehalem (plus the fact that LGA775 was a fussy beast).

AMD cannot compete on raw power against Intel - but look at some price/performance reviews of the kit and you'll see that it stacks up just fine against it's true competitors (Pentiums, usually). For gaming duties there will be a frame rate drop, but the GPU is far more important to this (as has been said). Good discussion though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This may be relevant... VeryPC webshop is now open!

Could always get the base PC from there and add in a GPU/beefier PSU, though VeryPC will probably just do you the whole thing if you ask. Could be a good saving, not yet had a quote from them to know how deep the edu discount is.

Thank Post
    Thanks guys, like i said it's not purely a gaming rig but i see where you're coming from, for the other tasks i'm going to do the AMD CPU would probably be just fine. And there i was all happy i'd made a choice! Back to the drawing board! Also i don't mind not including an OS in the budget, i can stretch to get a copy of windows so call it a £700 PC + OS cost. I've also got a crappy old VGA monitor and a TV with HDMI which i know isn't ideal but it'll do till i save up a bit so call it £700 for the actual rig + £OS + £nice monitor. I've got a few keyboards and mice kicking about at home and an old SATA DVD Writer.

Thank Post
    This may be relevant... VeryPC webshop is now open!

Could always get the base PC from there and add in a GPU/beefier PSU, though VeryPC will probably just do you the whole thing if you ask. Could be a good saving, not yet had a quote from them to know how deep the edu discount is.
    I'll have to get in touch when i finally get an idea for a final rig, they're just down the road from me.

Thank Post
    Use the extra from the cost of the OS on the GPU, you know it makes sense

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 1,937 Posts
    Saying "get i5 because the FM2 platform has no upgrade path" is a bit disingenous though
    The FX CPUs are AM3+. Nothing to do with FM2.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    The FX CPUs are AM3+. Nothing to do with FM2.
    Er, yeah. What he said.

Point still stands

/not getting enough sleep, not paying enough attention

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys, like i said it's not purely a gaming rig but i see where you're coming from, for the other tasks i'm going to do the AMD CPU would probably be just fine. And there i was all happy i'd made a choice! Back to the drawing board! Also i don't mind not including an OS in the budget, i can stretch to get a copy of windows so call it a £700 PC + OS cost. I've also got a crappy old VGA monitor and a TV with HDMI which i know isn't ideal but it'll do till i save up a bit so call it £700 for the actual rig + £OS + £nice monitor. I've got a few keyboards and mice kicking about at home and an old SATA DVD Writer.
    It always helps having some of the odd bits laying around, more for the RAM/GPU. I actually did, had 5 minutes and thought what the hell. Quiet suprised what you can get for your money. Prices have come down a bit since the last time I tried this 6 months or so ago. Take a gander at this and tell me what you think...

Capture.JPG

£698.78 all in! If it was me, with a little extra cash to throw at it, I'd double the RAM and look at the R9-270X cards. Pushing the boat out a R9-280X would be good. Should be able to SLI the GPU with the APU for a little extra boost as well.

Thank Post
    Bulldozer cored APU, last gen mid-range GPU, last gen motherboard, slow RAM, and no dedicated SSD? Are you mad?!

Seriously though, that's a 2012 spec PC.

Richmond (Enhanced Piledriver) APU, R9 card, A88X chipset with FM2+, at least DDR3 1600 if not 1866MHz, and a proper SSD should slot into that spec.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast