+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Hardware Thread, IP cameras in Technical; You will need a decent network to be able to get quality footage out of the cameras. We have found ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: IP cameras

You will need a decent network to be able to get quality footage out of the cameras. We have found MPEG4 footage from axis cameras to be so low quality to be useless. The alternative is MJPEG and this means high bandwith. Our 8 cameras are using a constant 15MB/s bandwith.
    Using a separate VLAN for your cameras and some faffing with the QoS options on your switches should help you here.

We have tried various CCTV software packages, and none have fulfilled our requirements.
    Have a look at Zoneminder

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: IP cameras

yeah Zoneminder recommends the Axis cameras and has support for pretty much every one I believe!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Has anyone looked at the mobotix cameras? well built and quite pricey so they must be good

Free software though that looks after all apsects of recording from the cameras so that might save you some money..

Ben
    I use Panasonic, Axis and Mobotix.

The Mobotix cameras are far superior for a number of reasons and depending on how you want to use them they are not that expensive.

You can specify the lenses you need, normally at no extra cost so if you need wide angle you just order it with the lens.
    The most expensive are the Day/Night vision, at 1.3 Megapixels they have all of the software on board the camera and any camera can control/view the others.
    There is even a Smartphone/PDA view, the simpler versions start at about 300 and go on to around 900 they are nearly all IP65 rated so they can be installed outside in the rain, they are POE compliant.

They record to an onboard ring buffer or to any windows/samba share.
    I normally install them recording to a Buffalo Terastation.
    They launched a new one last week at CeBit that looks like a smoke detector!
    A fish eye lens in the centre that gives a full 360 view.
    It was priced around 400 Euros.

I would recommend the Mobotix Cameras, they are not the cheapest but you won't be wasting a load of time and extra money on the recording system.
    http://www.mobotix.com/other/technology
    My runner up would be the Axis range, they have reasonable quality and a fair performance for the price.

The cheaper brands normally have rubbish lenses and a recording output so poor that you will never get a conviction if used in evidence.

I have seen systems costing thousands unable to resolve a registration plate!
    I have one school that has over 40 Cameras recording to a bank of NAS boxes with software that cost a fortune and when reviewing the playback you would be lucky to identify a user at all yet alone use the footage as a disciplinary tool.

Thank Post
    On a totally different note but related,

I look after a Championship League FC's IT and a few weeks ago the backups began to fail.
    Veritas was taking twice as long to complete and the jobs terminated due to the time window being too small.

My job logs indicated that the normal 500Mb per min throughput had dropped to only 99Mb causing the run time to extend.

After checking everything I could think of I put a packet sniffer on the LAN only to find that the CCTV guys (All analog stuff at present) had enabled a Web Based viewer on the recording servers.
    One of these had started to send broadcast packets on the LAN Subnet.

Unplugged the recorder and Veritas was all fixed, back to 500Mb and the job completed without issues.

So as stated elsewhere in this thread, planning your network to support CCTV and recording is essential and make sure you have a benchmark from your network before you start slapping these cameras everywhere otherwise you could be chasing your tail for evermore!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Ok this has been mentioned in a diffferent thread and was off topic so I though I would bring it i here.
    You talkin'a me?

Thank Post
    We are currently going through trials and testing to implement an internal cctv system (for the corridors). We have had a single Axis 210 camera for just over 2 years now which has proved invaluble as it points in a "hot spot" area of our school ground where kids go during the weekend.

We're now looking at getting around 12 cameras to cover our corridors, and have bought 1 Axis 212PTZ camera to see how that works. As for recording, we are thinking of building our own rig rather than buying Axis's ~2000 recording hardware; does C2D E4500, 2GB DDR2, 2x500GB, GB LAN sound reasonable enough to cope? I noticed someone said about cameras being quite processor intensive, so hopefully with a dual core that should suffice?

Still on the fence about the software. Axis's own software doesn't seem to get that many recommendations (even speaking to a company who installs these cameras), and Milestone's X-Protect software as mentioned here has been recommended to us.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmith View Post
    We are currently going through trials and testing to implement an internal cctv system (for the corridors). We have had a single Axis 210 camera for just over 2 years now which has proved invaluble as it points in a "hot spot" area of our school ground where kids go during the weekend.

We're now looking at getting around 12 cameras to cover our corridors, and have bought 1 Axis 212PTZ camera to see how that works. As for recording, we are thinking of building our own rig rather than buying Axis's ~2000 recording hardware; does C2D E4500, 2GB DDR2, 2x500GB, GB LAN sound reasonable enough to cope? I noticed someone said about cameras being quite processor intensive, so hopefully with a dual core that should suffice?

Still on the fence about the software. Axis's own software doesn't seem to get that many recommendations (even speaking to a company who installs these cameras), and Milestone's X-Protect software as mentioned here has been recommended to us.
    I found Axis Camera station to be unreliable and really resource intensive. Maxed out at 4 cameras on a P4 2.8. The alternatives (milestone) seemed really expensive and zoneminder did not support MPEG4. MJPEG produced a huge amount of traffic, so I didnt want to use that.

I ended up writing my own recording software using videolan DLL that does everything we need, captures MPEG4 constantly from 14 cameras and then serves the streams out. This uses around 10% cpu on a AMDX2 4200.

Other benefits are that we can add cameras without having to pay out for extra licenses.

Thank Post
    That's great if you have the knowledge, ability and time to write your own software; it doesn't help those who's programing ability doesn't stretch to that though
    We wouldn't want to use extreme compression to the point where faces and actions are uncomprehendible, although with these things, it takes time to find the right balance.

Thank Post
    Would recommend I-CATCHER from icode. Used it for several years with 9 cameras and its really nice, the web console is pretty good too allowing users to access all the cameras and playback when they want.

They've done a few updates for me too as they are quite a small company.

All our cameras are Axis 206.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We had the same problems with damage and petty messing with the machines...

All ICT suites now have CCTV - the previous Network Manager put in 2 trial axis cameras. I have put in the rest - and found some nice cheap Panasonic ones. Not POE, but the cable company I use put in a system which passes the power down audio leads to the camera from a transformer. Works a treat. The cameras are 59.00 - so a lot cheaper than the axis. Also - for recording software - try ActiveWebCam from PYSoftware. One off cost, unlimited cameras. I think it worked out as about 50, as it is american.

PM me for more details. Im in Devon, if anyone wanted to take a look at the system.

Thank Post
    I've recommended Icode's iCatcher Console software for years.

It's very cost-effective and feature rich.

A dedicated UK software development team.

Much better value than Milestone and similar corporate solutions.

Works with many manufacturers' cameras.

No annual fees.

I'll gladly arrange a free 21-day trial for anybody that would like to try it out.

Thank Post
    In the computer rooms we have a total of 13 Axis cameras from 205s to 211s using Milestone Xprotect Professional Milestone - The Open Platform IP Video Software.

We bought the initial setup as a 4 camera deal from RM (best available at the time) and it came with Milestone XProtect Basic. We then added 2 more cameras and to overcome the lack of cpu power we installed a second cpu and had to upgrade to the Professional version to support it.

Then came 7 more cameras and we were back with with the server processor being maxed out all the time even with the camera frame rate set at 2 per second.

I've just bought one of the HP ML115 servers and although I'm still installing the cameras, with 12 installed running at 8 frames/sec the processor is running at around 25% - much better. Unfortunately now I'm going to run into filestore space issues but they're a lot easier to sort than the old processor power one.

On the main site we have a bespoke CCTV system which uses DM controllers and a mixture of fixed and PTZ cameras. I don't have much to do with it, but from the parts I have seen I'm not impressed and the maintenace guys are a triffle happy go lucky - I spent a whole day setting up user profiles and passwords, etc. He came in to do an upgrade and didn't save any of it. It was then that I washed my hands of it!

Don't forget it's important to get the policies and paperwork established for any CCTV systems. GrumleDook has a very good thread on this in ICT Policies

Thank Post
    Just wondering,

What's your preferred method of adding storage? e.g. extra HDDs in the box, USB, NAS, JBOD, RAID?

How long are you keeping video before overwriting?

Thank Post
    Currently I'm keeping it simple with a 450Gb USB hard drive.

At present camera settings and schedule mean each camera averages about 5Gb a day, so with 13 cameras I'm going to be running out of space after around 10 days!

At the moment we don't have much money, so I'll have to live with that, but I'd like to add a bigger disc - I reckon about 3 weeks seems a good compromise between cost of storage and the number of days generally needed to cover an incident.

Can't afford to go to 42 days!!!!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123