+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Extricom wireless solution in Technical; Hi everyone just wondering if any of you have the above system in place and have dealt with a company ...
    Thank Post

Extricom wireless solution

Hi everyone

just wondering if any of you have the above system in place and have dealt with a company called wirless IT.

they did a demo for us yesterday and i am impressed by the system, not usually a fan of wireless but this convinced me

thanks

mark

Thank Post

Re: Extricom wireless solution

anyone?

Thank Post

Re: Extricom wireless solution

Yep.

We have it in place for testing internally here.

They did us a good sale so we bought the kit for us to evaluate internally.

We have since discovered that it doesn't work with Fujitsu laptops or EDA's.

One thing is strange - They are the only people who offer this type of solution. If it works so well surely one of the big boys would pick up on the idea?

Thank Post

Extricom kit

We're a large high school and have installed Extricom kit in one of the buildings. It has worked well for us with Dell and HP laptops and cured our big problem of classess of 30 laptops.

We are rolling this kit out accross the whole school and I hear rumour BT and Dell are taking the kit on with Dell labellling as there own.

I work for an IT company based at the school and we bought the kit directly so have no experience of the wireless company you talk of but I can totally recommend the kit.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    our sister company offers this solution T James Wired And Wireless Communications so if you require a quotation or any further infomation be sure to pm me your contact details,

Thank Post
    I've also had a demo of this system, and was very impressed by it, particulalry when he demod it using a VOIP handset walking around the room we were in, and you could actually see on the screen which 'transmitter' it was talking to and how it roamed between them with no drop out, very impressive.

I would also like to hear anyone's opinions, as it's very likely I'll be specing out a brand new building soon and this is the wireless system I am seriously considering if it actually works on a large scale. Also if any school in the south east area has it in place I'd really like to see it in action.

Mike.

Thank Post
    My NM has just asked if I knew anything about this, does anyone have it in place and wouldn't mind a visit? Sysman, where are you?

Cheers

Thank Post
    We've had the system in for nearly 12 months, it's working fine though we have had to reset the switch a couple of times. We also have had some problems with Fujitsu laptops connecting with poor signal strength. However HP and Acer laptops have been OK

Thank Post
    Dear All

I really keen on this wireless solution. I have asked 3 companies to quote for extricom(Managed Enterprise Technologies - Bham, First Class Technologies and Nortech Network services Northampton).

I have seen live demos and am convinced this is the best solution for the school. The way VOIP works with this solution is amazing, (if you pull out a access point, the phone will just reroute to another AP immediately with no drop out!).

The question I had was I don't know which company to choose. I think I probably will not use Nortech because comparing the quotes for the exact solution, Nortech quoted me 44k for a whole school solution, compared to MET who quoted me 18K, How can a difference in price be so much. There are slightly more AP in the nortech solution compared to MET but the difference is crazy 26K difference!

MET and First class technologies have organised demo sites for me to view which I will be seeing in the next few days.

I have a question, When it comes to a time to negotiate with each supplier what do others edugeek users do. Price isn't the only consideration, I want to look at reliability, quality of install. Is there any other things I should take into consideration?

If anyone has used any of the above companies, I would appreciate any feedback anyone can give me, in particular MET.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ranj View Post
    Dear All

I really keen on this wireless solution. I have asked 3 companies to quote for extricom(Managed Enterprise Technologies - Bham, First Class Technologies and Nortech Network services Northampton).

I have seen live demos and am convinced this is the best solution for the school. The way VOIP works with this solution is amazing, (if you pull out a access point, the phone will just reroute to another AP immediately with no drop out!).

The question I had was I don't know which company to choose. I think I probably will not use Nortech because comparing the quotes for the exact solution, Nortech quoted me 44k for a whole school solution, compared to MET who quoted me 18K, How can a difference in price be so much. There are slightly more AP in the nortech solution compared to MET but the difference is crazy 26K difference!

MET and First class technologies have organised demo sites for me to view which I will be seeing in the next few days.

I have a question, When it comes to a time to negotiate with each supplier what do others edugeek users do. Price isn't the only consideration, I want to look at reliability, quality of install. Is there any other things I should take into consideration?

If anyone has used any of the above companies, I would appreciate any feedback anyone can give me, in particular MET.

Thanks
    Hi Ranj,

If you would like to pm me your contact details I can speak with you regarding this as we are a official Extricom installation company,

Thank Post
    I have looked at enterprise wireless in depth now (for schools). Extricom impressed me until I discovered that every access point had to be directly wired to their controller switches. As we are a multi building site, this would have been very expensive as the controllers are pricey.
    I have since discovered Meru networks, which work on a similar channel bonding system but can route APs back to central controller via fibre.

I will be going to their reference school - Heathlands very soon to see it in action. We intend to issue each student with a laptop.....

Tom

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 935 Posts
    Can I point you to our good friends at Net+Ctrl please who do Ruckus Wifi which is designed with VOIP comms in mind They presented at the Northeren Conference and we have a few members on here that have got trial kit from them and / or bought it now or are saying they will be doing ASAP.

Contact is Mark Power 01473 281 211

Net-Ctrl - Ruckus Wireless is the page and there site. I know Mark is going for a few days well earned rest before too much longer (if not already gone) but one of the team there will be happy to sort you out im very sure.

Thank Post
    Yes Before you do anything! ring up net-ctrl, there ruckus wireless is Smoking HOT, Its by far one of the cheapest solutions around and it works.

Ruckus Wireless

I can not fault the kit, I Had a demo kit to test, Did the microwave test it worked! Move coverage than compared to another AP, took me lest than 10mins to setup the controller and the APs! and the price is a bargin! best thing since the chinese invented Tea!

Thank Post

Extricom WLAN Solution

After reading your queries and reviews, I thought i would post this message for help purposes.
    If I can answer any of your quesitons regarding the Extricom WLAN proposal, please feel free to give me a call 01928 511793.
    This is by far the best internal Wireless LAN solution that i have ever come across in my working history of wireless technology, as i tackles the inherent problems that wirelessLAN as a whole use to (and still does bar Extricom) suffer from.
    I can honestly state that performance wise, there is no better (internal infrastructure) vendor.
    i lookk forward to hearing from anyone that needs answers regarding this technology.
    kind regards
    Dean

Thank Post
    I had an Extricom guy come out and show us the system, and it looks far superior to what we have, it's just a pity we already have Cisco across the site.

I did speak to another vendor, who suggested that Trapeze, NonStop Wireless | Trapeze Networks do a similar system, but I've not seen this.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast