+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Hardware Thread, Extricom wireless solution in Technical; Originally Posted by CPLTD Also if you need any help with your situation we are an official Extricom partner and ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    Also if you need any help with your situation we are an official Extricom partner and would be more than happy to help you,
    Good to know. Might be asking for your advice soon!

I cant quite comprehend a company saying that actually being
    able to connect clients wasn't in the scope of a wireless project...

Just.... Amazed.... wtf....!

C

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cerberus View Post
    Good to know. Might be asking for your advice soon!

I cant quite comprehend a company saying that actually being
    able to connect clients wasn't in the scope of a wireless project...

Just.... Amazed.... wtf....!

C
    Yeah I have to admitt I was pretty shocked to see that quote from your current supplier, well pm me if you need any help fella

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsir View Post
    I have looked at enterprise wireless in depth now (for schools). Extricom impressed me until I discovered that every access point had to be directly wired to their controller switches. As we are a multi building site, this would have been very expensive as the controllers are pricey.
    I have since discovered Meru networks, which work on a similar channel bonding system but can route APs back to central controller via fibre.

I will be going to their reference school - Heathlands very soon to see it in action. We intend to issue each student with a laptop.....

Tom
    Based on your comment, I just want to confirm that Extricom APs require physical layer 1 connectivity from the APs DIRECTLY to the controller via CAT5/6 cabling ? This is very different to say Cisco APs can be deployed on any LAN switches as long as the APs can reach the controller via layer 2 (vlans). Could you confirm that this is still the case for Extricom?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Can I point you to our good friends at Net+Ctrl please who do Ruckus Wifi which is designed with VOIP comms in mind They presented at the Northeren Conference and we have a few members on here that have got trial kit from them and / or bought it now or are saying they will be doing ASAP.

Contact is Mark Power 01473 281 211

Net-Ctrl - Ruckus Wireless is the page and there site. I know Mark is going for a few days well earned rest before too much longer (if not already gone) but one of the team there will be happy to sort you out im very sure.
    Nothing against Simon @ CP LTD but he made his first post and it mentions ruckus in his signature but was surprised he didn't mention it in his post ( might of been a sales ploy to talk about it on the phone ? )

Seen a lot of posts giving + rep to Ruckus wireless solutions

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Nothing against Simon @ CP LTD but he made his first post and it mentions ruckus in his signature but was surprised he didn't mention it in his post ( might of been a sales ploy to talk about it on the phone ? )

Seen a lot of posts giving + rep to Ruckus wireless solutions
    I think at the time of the original post CP wasnt a Ruckus Reseller but when you change your signiture it changes all your previous post signitures Macshinobi

p.s I have to say though even as a Ruckus reseller that the only benefit Ruckus Wireless has over Extricom Wireless is cost.
    Last edited by CPLTD; 3rd November 2009 at 08:57 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    I think at the time of the original post CP wasnt a Ruckus Reseller but when you change your signiture it changes all your previous post signitures Macshinobi

p.s I have to say though even as a Ruckus reseller that the only benefit Ruckus Wireless has over Extricom Wireless is cost.
    Lol helps if I check date & time when post was
    made doh!!

Thank Post

Extricom & Fujitsu Siemens Kit

I notice some of the others commenting in this section have had trouble connecting Fujy stuff to their Extricom network.

Has anyone had any luck resolving this as we are about ready to chuck 64 perfectly good tablet PCs in the bin.

Suggestions (the fit to print ones at least) so far include -

1. Upgrading to Windows 7
    I'm going to try this with a new image this week and will post results.

2. Editing DHCP settings
    Think we've done this but my old network manager was doing most of the fiddling so I will have to check.

3. Use most recent wireless drivers
    Tried this and finally got down to bitterly disappointing converstaion with FS engineers in Germany (I think) who went from "you need to download this bios update" to "there is no such bios update, it must be Extricom" within the space of 2 wasted days.

4. Firmware update for Extricom kit
    Used this and it fixed a problem with Vista laptops not being able to logon wirelessly but then working OK if you disconnected Ethernet and went to wireless.

5. Polling fix for XP
    Done that, seemed to work. May have been a bit helpful but still not resolved issue.

Any help welcome but no "ha ha told you so" as I may well cry.

Thank Post
    We have Extricom installed on a few sites and would probably have used it more if it wasn't so expensive.
    Zyxel rebadge the Extricom blanket kit as their own and this is considerably cheaper.

Rember that the switches are the APs not the radios the biggest problems arise when this is forgotten and people start thinking cells not blankets!
    The dual radios may be your undoing especially if the blanket on the top floor is seen by the lower floor switch at a useable strength.

I would try running each switch on one radio channel first say 6 and 11
    if you need more bandwith on one floor add ch1 to either or switch not both.

Important, do not use or have spanning tree enabled on the switches that the extricoms take their uplinks as this will compound the dhcp issues.
    I have seen stp shutdown the link to an Extricom switch as it incorrectly detects a problem as several clients all chirp for dhcp requests at the same time!

Also, as the switch is the ap not the radio one bad or mismatched client wifi card can render the entire system unusable so you need to watch the switch logs carefully for signs of trouble.

If used properly for what it does best which is roaming I think the Extricom is probably the best in it's class, so for PDA or Voip it is an excellent choice but as you have found not as easy to set up as they would like you to think.
    There were bugs in the firmware when applied to certain models one such bug was when WPA was selected the switch defaults to WPA2 and some clients could not detect or negotiate this so again whilst testing do not encrypt make sure it all works first then encrypt.

I know all this as I am fortunate enough to own my own Etherscope which in wifi mode will display the conversations in realtime between clients and AP switches.
    If your installer does not have access to this type of kit he will probably follow you around in ever decreasing circles until he diappears up his own backside.

Bill & Charles @ Extricom are nice guys and will talk you through to a vanilla setup but that's all they can and are obliged to do, you need to be sure that everything your end is in a fit state to support these switches otherwise you may as well have installed something else!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345