+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Extricom wireless solution in Technical; Can anyone say what an annual support cost would be for the Extricom ESXW-1200 with 8 dual APs? I have ...
    Thank Post

Support Cost?

Can anyone say what an annual support cost would be for the Extricom ESXW-1200 with 8 dual APs? I have to get four qutotes and I need to be sure I'm not rip off.

Thank Post
    I have a problem with our extricom solution. We have 2 switches in our school and it seems that laptops will connect to one switch fine (the one on the top floor) but if i take a laptop down to the ground floor it then should use the switch and APs which cover the ground floor but the laptop isn't able to login successfully.

I am not sure if the channels are causing the issue, all our thin AP's across the building have 2 radios built in, on the switches the channels are configured as follows:

Switch 1( Top floor): Radio 1- channel 6, radio 2 - channel 11
    Switch 2(ground floor): Radio 1 - channel 3, radio 2 - channel 9

Has anyone had this problem when your able to connect to one switch but not another?

Thanks

Thank Post
    you should only be using channels 1, 6 and 11 assuming that you are using 802.11b/g

Channel 3 will interfere with channel 6

channel 6 will interfere with channel 9

channel 9 will interfere with channel 11

Do you need both radios to be on b/g at each access point?

Chilbs

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    couple of questions

1. Has this ever worked?
    2. Channels are a bit close (only 3 none overlapping channels in the same area!)
    3. Do they really need both radios operating on both switches?
    4. Are there any stand alone APs in the same area? Or other wireless devices??

Thank Post
    Thankyou both for your replies.

Ahh I didn't realise that we could only use 1,6,11 due to overlapping.

What we have setup currently is 2 SSID's on each radio.
    Radio 1 has a SSID which we are going to use to configure laptops on which then connect to a IAS radius server. All laptops will be 54g laptops but we may need to connect some older laptops which have B connectivity. So ideally i could do with both but if I need to pick one that I set this up as G only.
    Radio 2 has a visitor SSID which we were going to use for PDAs, phones and general visitor access. Again I feel we need a b/g setup so we accomodate different setups.

There are no standalone wireless devices in the area.

If fellow edugeekers think I should look at setting it up in a different way then please feel free to let me know.

This is what I am thinking of doing now based on feedback.

Switch 1( Top floor): Radio 1 (G only)- channel 1, radio 2 (b/G) - channel 11
    Switch 2(ground floor): Radio (G only)1 - channel 6, radio 2 (b/G) - channel 9

thanks

Thank Post
    if you can see ground floor network upstairs channel 9 will interfere with 6 and 11

In any area where they overlap you can only have channels 1,6 and 11 so therefore you could only use 3 radios on b or g

you can run multiple ssids on the same channel with the access to various parts of your network set by the ssid the client is connecting to.

I would try to seperate your radios to run either g only or b only otherwise g clients will be pulled down to b speeds when there is a b client connected

Chilbs

7. Thanks to chilbs from:

ranj (4th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Hi,

I can straight away see something that may be a problem, Can you see the upstairs wireless from downstairs. If so you getting a complete clash, 1,3,6,9 are all interfering.

The other issue may be associated with firmware, what are the releases, are they different? Is the network all fed from the same DHCP server or different, is it Windows 03, if so you may need to change the DHCP broadcast from Multicast (default) to Unicast.

Quote Originally Posted by ranj View Post
    I have a problem with our extricom solution. We have 2 switches in our school and it seems that laptops will connect to one switch fine (the one on the top floor) but if i take a laptop down to the ground floor it then should use the switch and APs which cover the ground floor but the laptop isn't able to login successfully.

I am not sure if the channels are causing the issue, all our thin AP's across the building have 2 radios built in, on the switches the channels are configured as follows:

Switch 1( Top floor): Radio 1- channel 6, radio 2 - channel 11
    Switch 2(ground floor): Radio 1 - channel 3, radio 2 - channel 9

Has anyone had this problem when your able to connect to one switch but not another?

Thanks

Thank Post
    I was wondering if someone would be able to advise on the best way to setup the Extricom system to support PDAs which would connect to our Extricom wireless network.

I am having a few issues and believe it could be to do with the channel configuration on the two 24 port switches we have in situate.

Throughout our school we have 2 radio AP’s with 2 SSID’s setup on 2 different switches.

Switch 1 – Radio 1 uses 802.11g only, is on channel 1 and is using 1st SSID.
    Switch 1 – Radio 2 uses 802.11b only, is on channel 11 and is using 2nd SSID.

Switch 2 – Radio 1 uses 802.11g only, is on channel 6 and is using same 1st SSID from switch 1
    Switch 2 – Radio 2 uses 802.11b only, is set to channel 1 but the SSID is not activated in fear of channel collision with Switch 1.

1st SSID – used for laptops and connects through a Radius system using Microsoft IAS. Generall connection has been good but have found occasionally on some laptops we will receive a message to say it has limited connectivity, only way to resolve is to turn off the wireless and turn it back on again.

2nd SSID – is a visitor SSID and is used to create manual connections to the wifi network. Have tried to use all encryption technologies, the only successful one I have had it working with is WPA Personal but have found it is an intermittent connection, sometimes it will work and sometimes it won’t. e.g. it will connect to one switch as soon as your in range of the other switch it will refuse to connect. A Common application being accessed on a PDA through wireless is exchange synchronisation (activesync).

I have heard of issues with DHCP servers and the Extricom system as in previous posts above and have changed the registry entry on the DHCP server to go from broadcast to unicast and haven’t seen any improvements as of yet.

Also are there any benefits of changing any of the configuration in the ESSID settings page to improve performance of the wireless (i.e. faster throughput) e.g. Allow store and forward, Enable Multicast, Beacon Rate control etc.

If someone could suggest an improved way of configuring our switches it would be most appreciated. I not sure the way I have configured them is the best.

Thank Post
    Extricom may be a great solution. But beware of some of the suppliers out there!

We just had Extricom installed and it's far from working properly. I had a better wireless cloud with 12 DWL7100's.

Here's a quote from an email reply from the MD of the company we used, chasing me to pay the invoice.
    (which I'm not paying till they sort the wireless out)

"You may find this unacceptable but making your client devices work on the network was not in scope of the project."

Nice!

I won't name names here because I'm not sure the etiquette.

I'm a very unhappy Network Manager today

C

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cerberus View Post
    Extricom may be a great solution. But beware of some of the suppliers out there!

We just had Extricom installed and it's far from working properly. I had a better wireless cloud with 12 DWL7100's.

Here's a quote from an email reply from the MD of the company we used, chasing me to pay the invoice.

"You may find this unacceptable but making your client devices work on the network was not in scope of the project."

Nice!

C
    Are you allowed to mention who installed it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Nice!

C
    thats not good , I would name and shame in the section below to make sure this company doesnt keep getting away with it,

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/bad-experiences/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by techie08 View Post
    Are you allowed to mention who installed it?

Don't know. I think while it's still "going on" I should give them a chance to fix it
    before I name them and tell the whole sorry tale.

But I have to say given my experience of them so far I would LOVE to 'tell all' and
    urge people not to use them!

C

Thank Post
    Don't know. I think while it's still "going on" I should give them a chance to fix it
    before I name them and tell the whole sorry tale.

But I have to say given my experience of them so far I would LOVE to 'tell all' and
    urge people not to use them!

C
    Give me a clue? Id like to see if they are the same company who done ours!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Nice!

C
    Also if you need any help with your situation we are an official Extricom partner and would be more than happy to help you,

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    Also if you need any help with your situation we are an official Extricom partner and would be more than happy to help you,
    Do you install the equipment or just sell it?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast