+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Hardware Thread, RM Shop demise in Technical; What's with the RM Shop closing then?...
  1. #1
    Quatermass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    84
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    RM Shop demise

    What's with the RM Shop closing then?

  2. #2

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,161
    Thank Post
    403
    Thanked 623 Times in 569 Posts
    Rep Power
    181

  3. #3
    Quatermass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    84
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Ah, right!

  4. #4

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    The irony is, they were never in the PC market. Buying in PCs and modifying the BIOS to display 'RM' doesn't make you in the PC business...

    I agree that they need to focus their energy on developing software for school instead of re-branding.

  5. #5

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,161
    Thank Post
    403
    Thanked 623 Times in 569 Posts
    Rep Power
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The irony is, they were never in the PC market. Buying in PCs and modifying the BIOS to display 'RM' doesn't make you in the PC business...

    I agree that they need to focus their energy on developing software for school instead of re-branding.
    They are no longer selling any 3rd party kit. At all.

  6. #6


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    9,065
    Thank Post
    232
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Rep Power
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Buying in PCs and modifying the BIOS to display 'RM' doesn't make you in the PC business...
    If that was true, then Very PC, Viglen, Stone, Novatech, Scan, PC Specialist et al. aren't in the PC business either. Unless you are a huge OEM like Dell or HP there isn't any point in getting custom designed parts made for your PCs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    they need to focus their energy on developing software for school instead of re-branding.
    Community Connect 5?

  7. #7

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    If that was true, then Very PC, Viglen, Stone, Novatech, Scan, PC Specialist et al. aren't in the PC business either. Unless you are a huge OEM like Dell or HP there isn't any point in getting custom designed parts made for your PCs.


    Community Connect 5?
    But you've basically proven the point that Dell and HP are the biggest because they not only build PCs, but they've also designed them. This is very different to what RM were doing.

    And as for software - I don't think there's a huge market for the likes of CC3 or CC4, but there certainly is developing new websites or apps that fit in with the new curriculum (for example)

  8. #8

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,678
    Thank Post
    861
    Thanked 650 Times in 431 Posts
    Rep Power
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The irony is, they were never in the PC market. Buying in PCs and modifying the BIOS to display 'RM' doesn't make you in the PC business...

    I agree that they need to focus their energy on developing software for school instead of re-branding.
    Actually, they didn't - I had the err- lucky - chance to go to their Abingdon site a few years ago and they have [had] a whole plant where they actually build the lot from scratch - its not just a case of buying an HP machine and re-branding it - they built the lot from scratch - Motherboard and all.

    Whether they stopped that in the time since then (2010 btw) I don't know

  9. #9
    dcwhitworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    48
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Actually, they didn't - I had the err- lucky - chance to go to their Abingdon site a few years ago and they have [had] a whole plant where they actually build the lot from scratch - its not just a case of buying an HP machine and re-branding it - they built the lot from scratch - Motherboard and all.

    Whether they stopped that in the time since then (2010 btw) I don't know
    Nope they are still going, I visited the factory in April, although they were saying they didn't have the volume of orders they used to get which made me wonder how long they could keep going. A little sad because they're about the only UK based PC factory left.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    119
    Thank Post
    46
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    5
    Makes sense to me. Back in the day if you wanted processing power for email, browse the net, email, do you accounts, play a game etc you bought a desktop. Then, the affluent probably bought a laptop (as well) but now there is so much choice I can imagine "serious gamers" are about the only real market left for desktops?

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    639
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 52 Times in 44 Posts
    Rep Power
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Makes sense to me. Back in the day if you wanted processing power for email, browse the net, email, do you accounts, play a game etc you bought a desktop. Then, the affluent probably bought a laptop (as well) but now there is so much choice I can imagine "serious gamers" are about the only real market left for desktops?
    er what? they're an education supplier, not many 'serious gamers' in that market but a hell of a lot of demand for basic desktop pcs

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. In new job schools love RM
    By Outpost in forum General Chat
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 5th August 2014, 10:20 AM
  2. Paint Shop Pro X4 on RM CC4
    By jedwards2 in forum Windows
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th May 2012, 05:22 PM
  3. Rm Smartcache 2 - Upgrade Problem
    By russdev in forum Windows
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25th August 2005, 07:33 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23rd July 2005, 11:16 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •