+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Hardware Thread, BSOD all the time :( Alienware in Technical; Hey guys no its a Kingston SSD and yes I did fit this myself I have ran loads of tests ...

Thank Post
    Hey guys no its a Kingston SSD and yes I did fit this myself I have ran loads of tests on it and it has always completed and passed with flying colours. Although I stumbled across something yesterday, I did a fresh install of Windows 7 from standad Microsoft Disc instead of alienware one and installed drivers from places such as nvidia etc... I read an artical about Dell modify drivers to work in specific for that computer. With the latest nvidia driver it crashed as always BSOD. So I uninstalled the latest nvidia driver and installed the nearly 9 month old one on Dell's website and re-tested it. So far I can't make it go wrong! Could this have been the problem all along? Or am I just being too optimistic?

Thank Post
    Could well be the cause, video drivers have always been a major source of BSODs. I'd also guess that this machine has Optimus - is it configured correctly?

Thank Post
    I do think it has optimus I remember seeing that somewhere. But what is it and how would I make sure it's configured correctly??

Thank Post
    I'd really like the latest drivers on it though especially for graphics as it will help a lot when gaming :/ bit of a bummer if you can only use Dells old drivers! Any help on getting the latest drivers working would be most appreciated!!!

Thank Post
    Optimus is an Nvidia technology - it disables the discrete graphics card when demands are low, then silently enables it when needed. Saves power, reduces heat and noise. It should be covered by the GPU drivers, it's possible there are machine specific optimisations included in Dell's drivers. If you look on Nvidia's website; their drivers usually say that the are not suitable for notebooks, and that you should go to your hardware vendor for updates. Most of the time you can safely ignore this, but you may have found the exception!

6. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

abillybob (19th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Ah yes! That is what my laptop does only when I'm playing games will my discrete GPU kick in otherwise I just use Intels HD 4600 Integrated GPU for normal day to day tasks. Though speaking to Dell they say I should be able to use Nvidia's drivers with no problem although if the issue only happens when nvidias drivers are installed it surely can't be a hardware problem can it? Thanks for all your help mate appreciate it!

Thank Post
    Right after hours of work I'm shipping the thing back. Spoke to ecomputers (the people who I bought it off) and to be honest they have rubbish service kept saying he'd send me the RAM and Hard Drive and for me to replace it! I'm sick and tired of messing around with this device. I want a new one just hoping that 1. He'll reply as he hasn't since I said I want a replacement last night 2. That he'll agree!!! Awful service and he's so rude.... If anyone is thinking about buying from ecomputers dont.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123