+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, BSOD all the time :( Alienware in Technical; Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth Thanks for your help mate although it seems to be exactly the same driver version :/ ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 841 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    Thanks for your help mate although it seems to be exactly the same driver version :/
    *Seems* as in the filename/version number or size?
    Its just dell have a habit of tweaking the drivers inside the pack. I would use the KillerNIC removal tool on their site then try those exact drivers and see if it helps.
    I know 100% KillerNIC had a major issue with 8 (and then 8.1 when it came out although it was fixed in 8 by then) where nic traffic would eat up ram and not release it. You would find all the ram gone but no large processes.

Thank Post
    I don't think it is the killer nic now... I have got another BSOD again, The latest crash using blue screen view it shows CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION with code 0x000000f4 and it always says the same ntoskrnl.exe was the part with the problem.
    The PC I completely standard and brand new :/ I have never overclocked it!! please help

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The PC I completely standard and brand new :/ I have never overclocked it!! please help
    Do you have any sort of warrenty? It could be worth using that to get a replacement.

Thank Post
    Have you tested the hard drive for errors. Could use this:
    WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD RE2

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,899 Times in 2,132 Posts
    I have got another BSOD again
    I would definitely send the laptop back either for a full refund or a replacement (as @twin--turbo mentioned above I wouldn't wait much longer before doing this).

Btw, did it originally come with Windows 8.1 pre-installed?
    Last edited by Arthur; 18th November 2013 at 08:19 PM.

Thank Post
    No it came with Windows 7 64bit. I have checked both hard drives the SSD and HDD with the WD diagnostics thingy and it has passed on both. I have called them and they are going to take it but I'd like to avoid this as I could be left without a computer for 2 weeks and I use it as my main PC for work! They apparently won't send me a replacement they just repair the parts so said Dell (also said by his manager) pfft rubbish!!! The computer now struggles to start it will just idle at the starting windows logo for nearly an hour and wouldn't do anything so I had to force it to turn off and restarted it and it booted :S I'm hoping it's not my SSD that I installed although can't see how this would be the case as it's been in another gaming rig of mine for a year and never failed once until I put it in this!!! Really getting angry now £1500 I spent on this and it's a load of cr*p!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,706 Times in 1,519 Posts
    Take some video footage of the issues before you let go of it.

Ben

Thank Post
    Why is that ben??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,706 Times in 1,519 Posts
    So that when they get it back and say there's nothing wrong with you've got proof.

Ben

Thank Post
    They apparently won't send me a replacement they just repair the parts so said Dell (also said by his manager) pfft rubbish!!!
    If that's their attitude then demand a full refund as per your statutory rights. Don't get fobbed off!

www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/action/how-to-reject-a-faulty-product-and-get-your-money-back/

11. 3 Thanks to Arthur:

LosOjos (19th November 2013), mac_shinobi (18th November 2013), plexer (18th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    If that's their attitude then demand a full refund as per your statutory rights. Don't get fobbed off!

www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/action/how-to-reject-a-faulty-product-and-get-your-money-back/

Plus one to what @Arthur said. Get a desktop

Thank Post
    I know but I so badly want one I just want it to work. The sleep issue I could get round but since it just hung and wouldn't move from the starting windows screen that's when I had to call them. I've done a memory test, hard drive tests and CPU tests and all says they're fine I really don't understand it! I want to say it's a driver issue but it's just finding out which one is the problem!! I know I could get a refund but I love it despite these flaws I really don't believe it's a hardware issue otherwise it would have shown up in the tests surely??

Thank Post
    So it's as supplied... but then you mention you put an SSD in it. Have you tried it with just the original drive installed?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,014 Posts
    The original hard drive. Is that Sata version 1,2 or 3 in comparison to the SSD? Also I presume you have the issues on both drives?

Also in the bios before you install the OS what mode is SATA in ie IDE Compatable, AHCI?

Also either reset bios to factory defaults and are there any bios and or driver updates?

Maybe also make sure the intel matrix mass storage drivers are installed and updated

Also as Arthur mentioned if the drivers you are using don't work correctly then maybe try the Intel or relevant drivers from the manufacturers website for the component in question ie if the soundcard is by realtek / conexant / creative or who ever then get the drivers from there site not Dell / Alienware

I think Intel have a system scanner but won't allow you to download the drivers if the existing driver is installed as it detects them as unknown and states your manufacturer driver is already installed so may need to remove existing drivers or find the correct driver yourself / manually on the intel site

Also just out of curiosity not sure if Linux will have all the correct drivers but if you try a couple of Linux Distros ie Mint / Suse / Ubuntu

Do they have similar issues with crashing / freezing etc

Not related but I did have a Lenovo desktop that was in warranty and I burnt off a bootable diagnostics disc which could only test RAM and HDD and the RAM test ran fine and the hard drive one got to about 10% and the pc would reboot or freeze. They swapped the motherboard, the ram module and in the end it was the cpu that was at fault as in the processor. Once that was swapped it worked great

Also warranty cover on the laptop I presume has expired and the only cover you have will be a short period of time from where you purchased it from ?

Thank Post
    I'm hoping it's not my SSD that I installed
    It's not an OCZ or SandForce-based SSD by any chance?
    Last edited by Arthur; 19th November 2013 at 08:56 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast