+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Hardware Thread, Death of an SSD - Symptoms in Technical; Originally Posted by zag We run intel exclusively here in all clients and servers so I know a little about ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 814 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    We run intel exclusively here in all clients and servers so I know a little about these things

This is the drive we currently use Review: Intel 520 Series SSD (240GB) - Storage - HEXUS.net - Page 8

The 5 year warranty tells you something, not that I have ever had to use it for any machine... ever

Specifically Intel Over Provision the amount of memory chips inside the SSD so that if a complete chip fails you wont loose anything. Thats why they have lower capacities than other manufacturers and higher prices.

They also have a feature that, in the event of a power failure keeps holds enough charge in the resistors to complete the write operation

Be acreful assuming they are bad drives becuse the speed doesnt set the world on fire. I personally have no interest in speed, its a completely pointless metric when it comes to using SSD drives in a work environment. Its all about reliability for me and for that Intel is king.
    Interesting, I didn't know about the over provisioned chips or resistor charge. Like I said, I'm not knocking Intel but to answer you're question about why anybody uses anyone else, well, Intel did some serious damage to their rep for early uptakers of SSDs. Just like OCZ now (who from purely anecdotal evidence seem to have become much better in the past 12 months), it's likely to make people wary of them for some time

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Interesting, I didn't know about the over provisioned chips or resistor charge. Like I said, I'm not knocking Intel but to answer you're question about why anybody uses anyone else, well, Intel did some serious damage to their rep for early uptakers of SSDs. Just like OCZ now (who from purely anecdotal evidence seem to have become much better in the past 12 months), it's likely to make people wary of them for some time
    Capacitor charge, but anyway I to have not ventured outside the Intel lines as they do have a rep for much better reliability than the others.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 814 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Capacitor charge, but anyway I to have not ventured outside the Intel lines as they do have a rep for much better reliability than the others.
    Whoops! Yes, those resistors aren't know for their ability to hold a charge are they

I'm not arguing that Intel aren't reliable now, was just saying that a couple of years back they were awful, which damaged their reputation. As we all know, OCZ are the dogs of the market now, even though I have heard their latest gen are much improved, it's going to take them some time to lose that reputation.

Personally, I have a Crucial SSD because it was fast, cheap and Crucial hardware has always been reliable IME

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I'm just wondering whether it would be practical to develop a 'whole drive' sensor and monitoring package rather than just the read/write and uptime based stats.
    It's a nice idea, but I doubt consumer SSDs would ever get a feature like this since it would increase the cost of the drives. People generally do not like paying more for computer parts, even if there are obvious benefits.

Btw, Fusion I/O makes a product called ioSphere that enables enterprises to centrally monitor the health of all of thier (Fusion I/O) PCIe SSDs. Very cool, but also extremely expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    There was never a firmware update for this drive. Very peculiar, but there you go
    Your Kingston SNV425-S2 had a JMicron 618 controller. You should avoid any SSD that contains a controller made by this company like the plague since they are infamous for making poor controllers.

Their JMF602 controllers from 4-5 years ago being the best example. This controller had random write latencies so high (0.5 to 2 seconds) that it would make the entire OS freeze/stutter because it was originally designed for USB flash drives, not SSDs!

Some companies like OCZ recommended that owners of SSDs with these controllers (Core, Solid etc.) move their page file and temporary internet files folder off the SSD to reduce the number of writes to the drive and thus the stuttering, rather than do an expensive recall of the (clearly faulty) drives. IMO, they shouldn't have been sold in the first place!

Specifically Intel over provision the amount of memory chips inside the SSD so that if a complete chip fails you won't loose anything. That's why they have lower capacities than other manufacturers and higher prices.
    Almost all SSDs include a certain amount of spare NAND to protect against flash memory defects and/or increase endurance. Some examples...

They also have a feature that, in the event of a power failure keeps holds enough charge in the resistors to complete the write operation.
    Your 520 Series SSDs do not have power-loss protection (unlike the 320 Series). These days supercapacitors are almost always reserved for enterprise-class SSDs.

Lastly they build their own PCB with proper components
    Samsung and Micron (Crucial) do too.
    Last edited by Arthur; 16th November 2013 at 01:10 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123