+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34
Hardware Thread, Death of an SSD - Symptoms in Technical; Originally Posted by mrbios SSDs are less likely to fail than HDDs based on the same time periods. What are ...
  1. #16
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,453
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 493 Times in 433 Posts
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    SSDs are less likely to fail than HDDs based on the same time periods. What are you worried about?
    So they say, but for me they don't seem any better.

    I booted, Windows was borked. I did a chkdsk. SSD was never seen again.

    BTW, I assume we all know how long data can stay on a MLC flash drive *without power* don't we? I didn't realise it was so short!

  2. #17


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,588
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 856 Times in 735 Posts
    Rep Power
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    So they say, but for me they don't seem any better.

    I booted, Windows was borked. I did a chkdsk. SSD was never seen again.

    BTW, I assume we all know how long data can stay on a MLC flash drive *without power* don't we? I didn't realise it was so short!
    not a clue so go on scare us lol

  3. #18


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    8,877
    Thank Post
    226
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Rep Power
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    I assume we all know how long data can stay on a MLC flash drive *without power* don't we? I didn't realise it was so short!
    It's 1 year for consumer SSDs.


  4. #19


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,588
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 856 Times in 735 Posts
    Rep Power
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    It's 1 year for consumer SSDs.

    I can live with that though I suspect my 128gb is now blank oh well

  5. #20
    AButters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    468
    Thank Post
    141
    Thanked 107 Times in 82 Posts
    Rep Power
    42
    1) Drive dissapearing entireley never to be seen again by bios or windows.
    2) Random crashes that are unreproducable (i.e totally random)

    That's what I've had in the past mostly with OCZ.

  6. #21


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,588
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 856 Times in 735 Posts
    Rep Power
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by AButters View Post
    1) Drive dissapearing entireley never to be seen again by bios or windows.
    2) Random crashes that are unreproducable (i.e totally random)

    That's what I've had in the past mostly with OCZ.
    to be fair ive seen both of those with normal hdd's as well

  7. #22


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    8,877
    Thank Post
    226
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Rep Power
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by AButters View Post
    That's what I've had in the past mostly with OCZ.
    That's what you get for buying OCZ SSDs. Drives from reputable manufacturers do not have these issues.

  8. #23

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,912
    Thank Post
    596
    Thanked 2,165 Times in 990 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post







    +1 The first V Series SSDs from Kingston were rubbish to say the least.

    My four year old Intel X25-M 'G2' is still working perfectly.


    I think however the problem my drive (as with many others I've read about) is that it didn't seem to be the actual data storage side of things that failed or degraded, but rather the controller. I'm just wondering whether it would be practical to develop a 'whole drive' sensor and monitoring package rather than just the read/write and uptime based stats. It does seem that with disk based drives you can get important data back upon failure, but with SSD's you may have almost zero chance of it (dependent on failure type) and any kind of early warning would be of benefit to end users.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    leicester
    Posts
    713
    Thank Post
    73
    Thanked 171 Times in 148 Posts
    Rep Power
    53
    @Dos_Box, have you tried updating the firmware ? It seemed to improve the stability of the Kingston SSDs we use here.

    Try SSD life - tool for solid state drives health and endurance monitoring It shows SSD wear.

    My original Intel X-25 lasted a day before it was hit with a strange bug where it showed its storage as 8Mb

  10. #25

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    165
    Thank Post
    40
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Rep Power
    10
    I had problems with a 6 month old OCZ SSD - would randomly turn off/vanish causing the pc to bluescreen - when restarted didn't show up in BIOS and had to shutdown and turn back on for the drive to appear. Requested an RMA, they told me they wouldn't replace until I'd done a firmware update followed by a secure erase.

    Firmware was up-to-date, so I did the secure erase using their software. After this it's worked constantly for 6 more months without an issue....

  11. #26
    AButters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    468
    Thank Post
    141
    Thanked 107 Times in 82 Posts
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    That's what you get for buying OCZ SSDs. Drives from reputable manufacturers do not have these issues.
    Ouch!!! Agreed - their all sitting on a shelf now replaced with Sandisks.

  12. #27
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,765
    Thank Post
    898
    Thanked 416 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    87
    I still don't get why anyone would buy anything other an Intel SSD

    They build them completely differently to other manufactures with reliability a priority.

    We still have not had a single failure using either the X-25M, 330 or 520 series drives.

  13. #28

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,452
    Thank Post
    1,439
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I still don't get why anyone would buy anything other an Intel SSD

    They build them completely differently to other manufactures with reliability a priority.

    We still have not had a single failure using either the X-25M, 330 or 520 series drives.
    Where are you getting your information? Intel were one of the worst SSD makers not so long back! I'm not saying they're not great now, but their early drives problems really damaged their reputation.

    Who's who in SSD? - Intel

    As for them making theirs differently, how? They don't make their own controllers, for a start...

  14. #29

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,912
    Thank Post
    596
    Thanked 2,165 Times in 990 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    @Dos_Box, have you tried updating the firmware ? It seemed to improve the stability of the Kingston SSDs we use here.

    Try SSD life - tool for solid state drives health and endurance monitoring It shows SSD wear.

    My original Intel X-25 lasted a day before it was hit with a strange bug where it showed its storage as 8Mb
    There was never a firmware update for this drive. Very peculiar, but there you go

    products

  15. #30
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,765
    Thank Post
    898
    Thanked 416 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Where are you getting your information? Intel were one of the worst SSD makers not so long back! I'm not saying they're not great now, but their early drives problems really damaged their reputation.

    Who's who in SSD? - Intel

    As for them making theirs differently, how? They don't make their own controllers, for a start...
    We run intel exclusively here in all clients and servers so I know a little about these things

    This is the drive we currently use Review: Intel 520 Series SSD (240GB) - Storage - HEXUS.net - Page 8

    The 5 year warranty tells you something, not that I have ever had to use it for any machine... ever

    Specifically Intel Over Provision the amount of memory chips inside the SSD so that if a complete chip fails you wont loose anything. Thats why they have lower capacities than other manufacturers and higher prices.

    They also have a feature that, in the event of a power failure keeps holds enough charge in the resistors to complete the write operation

    Lastly they build their own PCB with proper components unlike most other manufacturers who rebrand stuff and use cheaper bits (*Cough* OCZ).

    Be acreful assuming they are bad drives becuse the speed doesnt set the world on fire. I personally have no interest in speed, its a completely pointless metric when it comes to using SSD drives in a work environment. Its all about reliability for me and for that Intel is king.
    Last edited by zag; 14th November 2013 at 12:33 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Death of a computer suite
    By DMcCoy in forum Mac
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 30th May 2011, 02:21 PM
  2. End of an era
    By riedquat in forum Netware
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10th November 2008, 12:08 PM
  3. Can SIMS.net be installed as part of an image?
    By tosca925 in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 14th January 2008, 04:16 PM
  4. The end of an era....
    By richard in forum General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 20th November 2007, 02:05 PM
  5. anyone know of an msn messenger gpo workround
    By Stumpy in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30th October 2007, 09:14 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •