+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Need a specific ID Card printer in Technical; I'm looking for an ID card printer with special requirements. I am working with a web based program my company ...

Thank Post

Need a specific ID Card printer

I'm looking for an ID card printer with special requirements.

I am working with a web based program my company created. The program takes a company record of an employee, compiles the information (name, work center, photo) and creates an HTML document. When opening the HTML file, right clicking, and selecting print, a small amount of the card is displayed and printed. We will be unable to use any specific card printing software, but simply selecting the print option does not give us any fitment options or orientation options.

The web based software we use, in other fields, supports Crystal Report documents, which when attempting to print those, gives us print options regarding fit and orientation.

In a nutshell, I'm looking for an ID card printer that will print HTML documents directly from Internet Explorer and give us the option to rotate the image and adjust fit without needing to launch a third party program.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    I print my id badges using word the page size etc... is set by the printer.

Ben

Thank Post
    We do something very similar with our id cards. They are all printed off of a custom web app via a web browser.

We use a rio tango 2e card printer. I think most are seen as a standard windows printer by the PC. You just need to set the page size and orientation correctly.

Thank Post
    That's my issue exactly. The only options I have that I can configure are number of pages and number of copies. Currently I have a Zebra ID Card printer, it only allows me to print a small portion of the image and no settings to adjust the size.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmauk View Post
    no settings to adjust the size.
    Could you not use CSS to modify the layout of the generated HTML document so that it prints correctly?

Thank Post
    I'm writing on this forum on behalf of the president of our company, he mentioned that changing settings within the web-based software (image orientation) does not solve the issue. The printer still prints the image either impartially or leaving a big blank spot on the card. I started this post to see what other idea's could be thought up, and I will be taking them to him and hopefully either A: correct the problem or B: get a different printer.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    I don't think changing the printer will make any difference tbh they all work pretty much the same way.

Ben

Thank Post
    I was under the same impression. I am going to look deeper in to this issue, however I'm not the one capable of making changes within the software. Again this forum post is more for idea building than anything. I've read a lot of good information on here and I know from being in this field that the more minds that work together the better the outcome is going to be.

Thank Post
    We have 2 Zebra P330i , they print on the whole card fine.

Rob

Thank Post
    That's what we currently have is the Zebra P330i. Using card printing software the printer works fine. It's just HTML documents from our web based software that won't work correctly. I'm seeing that no matter what I go to print with though, no HTML page gives me options for changing orientation. I'm thinking the only possible fix is actually in altering our software.

Thank Post
    I think in theory, you can rotate most html elements in css 3. Also, have you remembered to apply your css to the print media as well as the screen media?

Personally, I worked round it by setting the option in the browsers print dialog box. Not ideal, but works for us.

Edit: Is this any use? Please see section 13.2.2. http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/page.html
    Last edited by Chris_Cook; 11th November 2013 at 10:47 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread