+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Leasing - Laptops in Technical; Anyone here lease laptops? I'm looking for success stories, failures, rough costs (including specs) replacement time tables etc. Any information ...
    Thank Post

Leasing - Laptops

Anyone here lease laptops?

I'm looking for success stories, failures, rough costs (including specs) replacement time tables etc.

Any information you can give me on this would be brilliant. I'm getting a bit annoyed with the replacement costs of laptops and the fact the majority of our staff are using laptops which are just falling apart and we can't afford to replace them, if we spread the costs over time with leasing options that could be a major plus for us (if the costs are effective).

Thank Post
    Talk to the LA about approved lease providers. You can only take out an Operating Lease, not a Finance Lease. Make sure your insurance covers the costs of any that get damaged (because if you lease X devices, you need to have X devices at the end of the term), and that you get a warranty that covers full break/fix for the duration. Rental costs are currently IRO £335 per £1k per annum, although this can vary in respect of the Residual Value on the devices. The last bit means "Don't buy cheap"

3. Thanks to MikeGilbert from:

mrbios (8th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks Mike,

Alot to think about, safe to say it wouldn't be a suitable approach for student laptops but hopefully it could be viable for our staff ones which is the main area I'm focusing on here. Will need to have a chat with the business manager i think.

Thank Post
    Agree with @MikeGilbert in that you should attempt to get the most for your money. The rate sounds fair too so you need to check out one off admin fee, cost per thousand, duration, payback periods, warranty including Accidental damage and theft, and cost at end of lease to return the kit. I manage @VeryPC leasing for our Gateshead Contract and it's pretty simple, and provides immediate access to learning and teaching technology paid back over time; we partner with Syscap. You never own anything, but you're always responsible for it, which is why you should 100% take out the highest level of cover.

6. Thanks to VeryPC_Colin_M from:

Thank Post
    One thing we're very used to at the moment is buying the cheapest of the cheap, seeing as that's a habit that we'd be looking to break with leased laptops, and based on the fact you get a return value for them at the end i assume there's a "sweet spot" in pricing terms? I again assume this sweet spot can vary based on when a laptop is purchased in a technical cycle? (IE purchasing Intel haswell based ones right before intels next wave of chips come out can mean losing their value quicker than if you signed off on them at the beginning of a products technical cycle?)

I probably haven't explained my thinking very well here but when you factor in potential damage and potential value decreasing factors there must be a point at which "dont buy cheap" ends and you get too expensive, and vice versa?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    One thing we're very used to at the moment is buying the cheapest of the cheap, seeing as that's a habit that we'd be looking to break with leased laptops, and based on the fact you get a return value for them at the end i assume there's a "sweet spot" in pricing terms? I again assume this sweet spot can vary based on when a laptop is purchased in a technical cycle? (IE purchasing Intel haswell based ones right before intels next wave of chips come out can mean losing their value quicker than if you signed off on them at the beginning of a products technical cycle?)

I probably haven't explained my thinking very well here but when you factor in potential damage and potential value decreasing factors there must be a point at which "dont buy cheap" ends and you get too expensive, and vice versa?
    Good shout. It would tend to be the lease company that bear the risk of techno advancements, price drops and the like though. At end of lease they charge a couple of quid in general to take the laptops back, so the School would have no liability in so long as the kit is still in good working order as agreed in the ts and cs. And then onto the next lease. There are different types of leasing arrangements but the Operating lease is the public sector choice. The benefits of having fixed payments for the contract duration are that the budget can go further and on occasion payments can be matched to the useful life of the equipment to protect against techno obsolescence. You can also choose to renew the lease, buy the kit, or simply return it.

9. Thanks to VeryPC_Colin_M from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Colin_M View Post
    There are different types of leasing arrangements but the Operating lease is the public sector choice.
    Just to reinforce what I said: it's not a choice. If you take out a Finance Lease, which is the alternative to an Operating Lease, you are borrowing money. You are not allowed to do this as a publicly funded body.
    At the end of the lease term, the units leased have a Residual Value which is calculated at the start of the lease by the leasing company and used to determine the actual payments.
    I wouldn't worry about leasing any hardware, to be honest, whether for staff or student use. It just works.

11. Thanks to MikeGilbert from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (8th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeGilbert View Post
    Just to reinforce what I said: it's not a choice. If you take out a Finance Lease, which is the alternative to an Operating Lease, you are borrowing money. You are not allowed to do this as a publicly funded body.
    At the end of the lease term, the units leased have a Residual Value which is calculated at the start of the lease by the leasing company and used to determine the actual payments.
    I wouldn't worry about leasing any hardware, to be honest, whether for staff or student use. It just works.
    Does it make any difference if you are an Academy or Free School etc...?

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Does it make any difference if you are an Academy or Free School etc...?

Ben
    Yes, all the difference in the world mate. You get a greater choice of leasing options, outside of an operating lease.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Colin_M View Post
    Yes, all the difference in the world mate. You get a greater choice of leasing options, outside of an operating lease.
    It depends on your source of funding:
    http://www.investec.co.uk/products-a...n-leasing.html

15. 2 Thanks to MikeGilbert:

mrbios (8th November 2013), plexer (8th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Since @VeryPC are a sponsor @mrbios I feel comfortable providing this link to Syscap too who we use alongside Lombard for corporates - worth mentioning that you have the option to plan for upgrades and replace rapidly aging kit already under lease with new replacement up to date hardware without affecting the lease; Products and solutions Worth checking it out @plexer - @VeryPC assisted in the Green financing option.

17. Thanks to VeryPC_Colin_M from:

Thank Post
    Thanks Colin, the more information i have the better, i'll be taking this idea to our business manager on monday to see what she thinks.

The main reason for wanting to go down this route really is that there's a desire from SMT to encrypt data on staff laptops. Of which means the requirement of TPM chips, we're used to paying outright for £250-330 laptops, ones with TPM chips are more like £500 which we cringe at spending on an indvidual laptop Not to mention of our around 100 staff only about 70-80 have laptops, and 60-70 of those are now in dire need of replacement.

Thank Post
    <shudder>encryption</shudder>. Another password for teachers to forget.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Ok but's it's not quite as clear cut as your earlier statement of there is only one option period!!!!!

Ben

Thank Post
    You can encrypt Windows laptops using bitlocker without a TPM. They use a small usb stick as the key.

Bitlocker without TPM: - War Room - notes from the field - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast