+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Leasing - Laptops in Technical; Originally Posted by MikeGilbert <shudder>encryption</shudder>. Another password for teachers to forget. Originally Posted by difinity You can encrypt Windows laptops ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeGilbert View Post
    <shudder>encryption</shudder>. Another password for teachers to forget.
    Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    You can encrypt Windows laptops using bitlocker without a TPM. They use a small usb stick as the key.

Bitlocker without TPM: - War Room - notes from the field - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
    The only thing i can say there is I agree with Mike that the additional password is going to be a pain on it's own...but a usb pen would go from a <shudder> to a full blown <migraine>

Thank Post
    @mrbios using Bitlocker and the TPM there is no additional password for the user. A recovery password is stored in AD should the USB pen be lost/forgotten.

3. 2 Thanks to difinity:

mrbios (8th November 2013), VeryPC_Colin_M (8th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Ok but's it's not quite as clear cut as your earlier statement of there is only one option period!!!!!
    Fair point, the Academies thing has thrown a bit of a spanner in the simplicity of things, as it has done for everything financial. But lets not go there...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Thanks Colin, the more information i have the better, i'll be taking this idea to our business manager on monday to see what she thinks.

The main reason for wanting to go down this route really is that there's a desire from SMT to encrypt data on staff laptops. Of which means the requirement of TPM chips, we're used to paying outright for 250-330 laptops, ones with TPM chips are more like 500 which we cringe at spending on an indvidual laptop Not to mention of our around 100 staff only about 70-80 have laptops, and 60-70 of those are now in dire need of replacement.
    Ah, now I understand. You need to get up to date on the security side, but this means a mad dash replacement of a tonne of aging hardware. @VeryPC can sort you out with TPM laptops under budget don't you worry.

I think it would be a wise exercise to arrange a meet and greet with a couple of lessors to ensure you and your SLT know all of the ins and outs and they can assist you with the decision; often times you can pool other schools into the agreement and get better rates. I can send Syscap along no problem, and the options proposed will depend on the type of school you are; I'm convinced it will be an operating lease where you pay a monthly / quarterly / annual fee for a set period then hand the kit back.

We've found that the windows level encryption plus USB key and password is less than useless, but there are some paid for solutions like Computrace or even free open source disk encryption applications out there for the technically supreme; if @X-13 sees this I know he'll have ideas coming out of his every pony loving orifice for you because he's a genius. TPM is the industry standard though, so it must be the best right..?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Colin_M View Post
    Ah, now I understand. You need to get up to date on the security side, but this means a mad dash replacement of a tonne of aging hardware. @VeryPC can sort you out with TPM laptops under budget don't you worry.
    Hehe

But yes they can and the thinbook pricing with tpm on board is not bad.

Ben

7. Thanks to plexer from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (8th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Just mentioned laptop leasing in passing to my business manager... from the sounds of things she has major issues with the way our county council works when it comes to leases (We've just gone through our MFD leases which took ages) and she said an outright "no"...... Seems some persuading will be in order here, i think i need to gather some hard figures and create a proper plan so i can try and prove value+worth.

Thanks for all the advice fellow geeks.
    @VeryPC_Colin_M I may well be in touch for further information on Monday once I've had a chat with my manager about this, he'll no doubt talk to the business manager again about it too hopefully.

9. Thanks to mrbios from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (8th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Just mentioned laptop leasing in passing to my business manager... from the sounds of things she has major issues with the way our county council works when it comes to leases (We've just gone through our MFD leases which took ages)
    More likely to be the way the lease is set up by the MFD company (Sooo much nicer than "Photocopier contract", isn't it...) than the process of leasing. There should be someone at County Hall who can give you chapter and verse on what hoops lease providers have to jump through. You can then put those as part of the quote criteria, which makes life easier for you, your SBM and the supplier. A lease should be as easy as 1) you order it 2) it's delivered 3) you sign it off as done. There can be hiccups at 2) and 3), obviously. Your supplier will be paid in full on their invoice to the lease company once you sign the kit off as delivered to spec and working, and not at all until that happens, so there's a good incentive on them to perform.

11. 2 Thanks to MikeGilbert:

mrbios (8th November 2013), VeryPC_Colin_M (8th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Obviously the costs of such a thing are going to vary from contract to contract based on lots of variables but can anyone give me a really rough idea of what i can consider say 50 and 100 laptop to cost on a lease basis (be that the 3 year cost a 5 year cost or a yearly cost) I'm completely in the dark on figures at the moment

Thank Post
    Here's a recent example of one I've done;

Fujitsu Lifebook A512; 15.6", i3, 4GB, 320GB, DVDRW, 8/7 Pro, 3 Yr NBD Onsite;
    Outright purchase 349
    3 payments annually
    Leasing rate 325.67
    Total rental costs over 3 years 340.98 (3*((number of annual payments / 1000)*leasing rate)
    Equipment insurance charge 71.95
    End of lease collection fee 8
    Total 3 year cost 420.92 over 9 payments of 46.77
    One off document fee charge 50

VAT if charged can be claimed back for you too, and you can add in carry cases, software, anything. Hope this helps. You pay 71.92 more in the end, but it's spread across 9 equal payments, and you've no disposal costs at the end.

14. Thanks to VeryPC_Colin_M from:

mrbios (8th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Obviously the costs of such a thing are going to vary from contract to contract based on lots of variables but can anyone give me a really rough idea of what i can consider say 50 and 100 laptop to cost on a lease basis (be that the 3 year cost a 5 year cost or a yearly cost) I'm completely in the dark on figures at the moment
    Variables, dontcha just love 'em...
    If the laptops cost 333, so you get sort of 3 per 1k, then 99 would cost 33k, which you can get on lease for about 334 per 1k per annum, which is about 11,022 per annum, so you'd pay about 33,066 in total over 3 years.
    Five year leases will cost more, as the Residual Value will be much, much lower.
    If you want to hang onto the laptops after the three years, then you can generally make a one-off payment of a percentage of the annual payment (which is the RV, basically) to hang onto them.
    The Residual Value is where the finance company makes its money.
    HTH
    Mike

16. Thanks to MikeGilbert from:

mrbios (8th November 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12