+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, This isn't about work (For a change) Alienware..... in Technical; Hey Guys So sorry to bug you all though I'm getting really stressed over this -.- There is an Alienware ...

Thank Post

This isn't about work (For a change) Alienware.....

Hey Guys

So sorry to bug you all though I'm getting really stressed over this -.- There is an Alienware 17 (2013) laptop up for grabs for just under 1000 near me in perfect condition. I'm really tempted as I could be saving 300 and I like the bragging factor always wanted an Alienware tehe. Although at the moment I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 1 64GB with an i5 4GB RAM and Intel HD 4000 Graphics. If I sell this and buy a Alienware laptop which has i7 8GB Ram 256GB SSD and Nvidia GTX 765m GPU.

If I'm spending this kind of money I want to know these things last a long time and what they're capable of. Can you upgrade things such as RAM, Processor and GPU as years go by. Also what is the Nvidia GTX 765m like for gaming. I have a 7770 at home in my rig and that pretty much handles every game I throw at it is this GPU better or worse?

Do any of you have experience with an Alienware laptop if so what's your thoughts ???

Really would appreciate any help guys

Thanks

Thank Post
    With most laptops, especially larger format and gaming models, replacing the CPU, RAM, HDD and even wireless card is very easy. Generally you'd need to source a CPU from Ebay as they're not sold to end users. As it's an i7, I suspect you'll struggle to ever find a compatible upgrade but worth a shot in the future. I suspect it'll support at least 16GB of RAM too. Generally, while you physically can upgrade the GPU, finding a compatible upgrade is very difficult. On the plus side, the GTX 765M is very capable - it's an upper mid-range mobile part. You should be able to play current games like Battlefield 4 on decent IQ settings at the native res, and it should eat older games.
    Last edited by 3s-gtech; 7th November 2013 at 03:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the quick reply mate This will be replacing my Surface and Gaming Rig at home my Rig isn't anything special but handles everything I've thrown at it so far with ease at pretty high settings. Warning the processor might shock you: Intel Pentium 1155 Socket, 4GB Ram, ATI HD 7770, 128 SSD. Is this Alienware more powerful than my rig in graphics department do you know??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    PassMark - Radeon HD 7770 - Price performance comparison
    PassMark - GeForce GTX 765M - Price performance comparison

If you're after value for money and long term upgrade options, a laptop isn't the answer. You'll get much more bang for your buck in a tower and if you buy smart (i.e. bleeding edge mobo and chipset) you should have a good few years of upgrade options available to you. The downside of course is lack of portability.
    Last edited by LosOjos; 7th November 2013 at 03:48 PM.

Thank Post
    @LosOjos has pointed out, your taking a sidewards step in the GFX card department.

Personally I wouldn't buy a gaming laptop unless you REALLY needed the portability, that 1000 would buy you an amazing gaming PC with a few hundred to spare!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's also worth looking at what the laptop has been used for.

a couple of alienware i7 beasts came through here a few weeks ago. One processor burnt out and the other graphics chip ruined. They had been sat on a kids bed playing WOW and cooking internally. They did look mint on the outside though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    It's also worth looking at what the laptop has been used for.

a couple of alienware i7 beasts came through here a few weeks ago. One processor burnt out and the other graphics chip ruined. They had been sat on a kids bed playing WOW and cooking internally. They did look mint on the outside though.
    You have alienwares?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Occasionally... None have been saved so far, or I'd have one myself!

Thank Post
    The Alienware would probably be on a par purely graphics wise with your rig, but the superiority of the other components should help. Your SSD may be a handy addition, many Alienware models will take two drives.

Agreed that a desktop is a better bet if you're looking at a longer term gaming rig - just depends what form factor suits you. A 1000 desktop can be a real gaming powerhouse - you can fit a Haswell set up with an R9 290 in there and be safe in the knowledge it'll play anything you throw at it.

Thank Post
    Thanks guys for all your help! My brain is saying no but my heart says yes. I know I could spend a few extra and get my current rig like a power house at around half the price of an alienware.... but its the flashy lights, the way I can say I have an alienware laptop like Sheldon the BBT! *sobs* I know desktops are always going to be the best for upgradability and future proofing your rig. Although if I could find a Laptop in my price range that would let me upgrade it and be a powerhouse and for the next 5 years play the latest games I would trade over a desktop anyday! I think there is a huge gap in the market for a laptop that is affordable, great performance and easily upgradable its a shame!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Ohhhhh AlienWare if it's in good nick buy it simples

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    Occasionally... None have been saved so far, or I'd have one myself!
    How good are your techs? If they're the same models just move all the working bits to one laptop.

Thank Post
    If you can afford it and you want it, why not? If I used my head all the time, I wouldn't have spent thousands on cars, audio equipment and PCs; and loved every second of it - you're only young once.

Thank Post
    Well i've used my head. I'm going to buy a new Graphics card and Ram to treat myself instead for my rig! Thinking I'd just use it as I use my Surface any how (for work) and never take it out at home. Sometimes practicality must take over somewhere over dreams!

Thank Post
    Your motherboard should take a Sandy Bridge or even Ivy Bridge i3/i5/i7 too which should also give you massive performance gains for medium outlay (lots of people selling their old parts to buy Haswell). One of those with some new fast RAM and a fast graphics card will transform your PC

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast