+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
Hardware Thread, What to do with old 2.5" drives? in Technical; As we have replaced a batch of machines with SSDs we have a stack of 2.5" drives sat doing nothing, ...
  1. #1

    Danp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,446
    Thank Post
    78
    Thanked 168 Times in 148 Posts
    Rep Power
    147

    What to do with old 2.5" drives?

    As we have replaced a batch of machines with SSDs we have a stack of 2.5" drives sat doing nothing, thoughts on what we could use them for?

  2. #2
    chazzy2501's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    1,782
    Thank Post
    213
    Thanked 263 Times in 213 Posts
    Rep Power
    67
    you can still use them as spares for your desktop PCs. You can normally use just 1 screw to hold it in place as they're light.

  3. #3
    Jamman960's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London/Kent
    Posts
    988
    Thank Post
    186
    Thanked 194 Times in 156 Posts
    Rep Power
    46
    What size are they and how old roughly? I'd be weary of using older 2.5" drives for anything, they've never seemed as reliable as 3.5"'s

  4. #4
    chazzy2501's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    1,782
    Thank Post
    213
    Thanked 263 Times in 213 Posts
    Rep Power
    67

  5. #5

    Danp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,446
    Thank Post
    78
    Thanked 168 Times in 148 Posts
    Rep Power
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    you can still use them as spares for your desktop PCs. You can normally use just 1 screw to hold it in place as they're light.
    We have small desktops that only have space for one drive.

  6. #6

    Danp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,446
    Thank Post
    78
    Thanked 168 Times in 148 Posts
    Rep Power
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    I like the look of that but not the $2K price!

  7. #7

    3s-gtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    2,762
    Thank Post
    145
    Thanked 560 Times in 504 Posts
    Rep Power
    152
    Depends on size, but Ebay? 2.5" SATA drives have value due to the number of PS3s with stingy capacity drives. We have a huge number of brand new drives sitting about due to SSD swap outs - they'll be sold.

  8. #8

    Danp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,446
    Thank Post
    78
    Thanked 168 Times in 148 Posts
    Rep Power
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Depends on size, but Ebay? 2.5" SATA drives have value due to the number of PS3s with stingy capacity drives. We have a huge number of brand new drives sitting about due to SSD swap outs - they'll be sold.
    As they are ex-school drives I would not let them out of the building, either we put them to use or they are destroyed.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    443
    Thank Post
    58
    Thanked 67 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    As they are ex-school drives I would not let them out of the building, either we put them to use or they are destroyed.
    DBAN is your friend.

  10. #10

    3s-gtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    2,762
    Thank Post
    145
    Thanked 560 Times in 504 Posts
    Rep Power
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    As they are ex-school drives I would not let them out of the building, either we put them to use or they are destroyed.
    Agreed - DBAN will sort that. It's just a bit labour intensive if you have a few!

  11. #11

    Danp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,446
    Thank Post
    78
    Thanked 168 Times in 148 Posts
    Rep Power
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Agreed - DBAN will sort that. It's just a bit labour intensive if you have a few!
    I have about 170 drives in house...

  12. #12

    ICTDirect_Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ribchester
    Posts
    1,713
    Thank Post
    307
    Thanked 312 Times in 248 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    I have about 170 drives in house...
    Take them down to D&T one day and weld a sculpture out of them?

  13. Thanks to ICTDirect_Dave from:

    john (30th October 2013)

  14. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    443
    Thank Post
    58
    Thanked 67 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    I have about 170 drives in house...
    Ouch. If it helps, dban will wipe as many drives as you can connect to a machine - all at the same time. Boot it from usb (yumi to make the bootable usb), select autonuke when it boots, pull the usb when the image has been read and walk away for an hour or two. Leave the usb stick in and you'll be making a new one...

  15. #14

    Danp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,446
    Thank Post
    78
    Thanked 168 Times in 148 Posts
    Rep Power
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by mats View Post
    Ouch. If it helps, dban will wipe as many drives as you can connect to a machine - all at the same time. Boot it from usb (yumi to make the bootable usb), select autonuke when it boots, pull the usb when the image has been read and walk away for an hour or two. Leave the usb stick in and you'll be making a new one...
    Good call, I think I will leave them in the cupboard in the server room lol

  16. #15


    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the server room, with the lead pipe.
    Posts
    4,638
    Thank Post
    275
    Thanked 778 Times in 605 Posts
    Rep Power
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    Take them down to D&T one day and weld a sculpture out of them?
    Our lot chop them up and use them for casting:

    Pour.jpg firstry.jpg

  17. Thanks to pete from:

    Rawns (27th November 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What to do with old Hitachi Cambridge boards?
    By Kyle in forum AV and Multimedia Related
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15th February 2012, 09:05 AM
  2. What to do with old laptop?
    By cookie_monster in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 31st December 2011, 04:10 PM
  3. What to do with old study guides...
    By Little-Miss in forum Books and Manuals
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 7th February 2011, 02:00 PM
  4. What to do with old memory?
    By pooley in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 3rd September 2010, 03:26 PM
  5. What to do with old mobos
    By laserblazer in forum Hardware
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10th April 2008, 01:47 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •