+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Hardware Thread, Laptop recommendation needed (vista business - downgraded) in Technical; I've got a neighbour who opted to use PC world for their computing needs a few weeks back and after ...
  1. #1
    contink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,791
    Thank Post
    303
    Thanked 327 Times in 233 Posts
    Rep Power
    118

    Laptop recommendation needed (vista business - downgraded)

    I've got a neighbour who opted to use PC world for their computing needs a few weeks back and after fighting yet another wireless connection I recommended they take their pristine unit back to PCworld for a refund and get something else.

    Now I know they'd like to have this thing last quite a while so I was hoping someone would have a recommendation for a Vista Business pre-loaded laptop that would be downgradeable to WinXP as per the downgrade policy MS have offered.

    Vaio's, Acers, etc... seem to be out in this respect because they've gone out of their way not to provide XP drivers but I've found Lenovo's seem to be properly supported...

    So, any suggestions... and no waiting on SP1 for Vista is not an option... I'm not about to sit for 3 more hours trying to kick the wireless into gear because some M$ muppet decided not to test it properly.

  2. #2
    ninjabeaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    1,089
    Thank Post
    182
    Thanked 100 Times in 88 Posts
    Rep Power
    46

    Re: Laptop recommendation needed (vista business - downgraded)

    Hi Contink,

    Give Gary Hogg at NovaTech a call. The school has been using them for a few years. They still supply laptops with either XP or Vista. Lots of options. I also use them for personal use and supplying PC's and Laptops to friends etc.

    www.novatech.co.uk and the number is 02392322535. That's Gary's direct line. If you do speak to him tell him them Simon from The Park High School recommended you.

    Hope its what you need.

  3. #3

    beeswax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,285
    Thank Post
    285
    Thanked 225 Times in 153 Posts
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: Laptop recommendation needed (vista business - downgrade

    I got one of these for my daughter a few months back. V. good. you can buy them with either XP or Vista installed.

  4. #4
    contink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,791
    Thank Post
    303
    Thanked 327 Times in 233 Posts
    Rep Power
    118

    Re: Laptop recommendation needed (vista business - downgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by ninjabeaver
    Give Gary Hogg at NovaTech a call. The school has been using them for a few years. They still supply laptops with either XP or Vista. Lots of options. I also use them for personal use and supplying PC's and Laptops to friends etc.
    Hmm... interesting... Are these their own brand of laptop then? Any ideas on reliability or if there's any reviews?

    www.novatech.co.uk and the number is 02392322535. That's Gary's direct line. If you do speak to him tell him them Simon from The Park High School recommended you.
    Thanks... I will do

  5. #5
    contink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,791
    Thank Post
    303
    Thanked 327 Times in 233 Posts
    Rep Power
    118

    Re: Laptop recommendation needed (vista business - downgraded)

    Thanks for the tips and especially NB... Gary was very helpful and got me more info' than I thought I'd need so it's all good.

    Sounds like I've found a new supplier for a few things

  6. #6
    Scruff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lincs
    Posts
    137
    Thank Post
    16
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Laptop recommendation needed (vista business - downgraded)

    From my limited experiances with vista, I've found that Toshiba don't think XP drivers are very important (A100 series), I lost a lot of hardware functionality downgrading two of those and actually the VAIO's I bought recently (even though i'm not a great fan of sony) worked very well but I had those downgraded from the factory.

    I gave the Toshibas a try because some of the HPs I was purchasing didn't allow me to ghost the drives as neither ghost nor RIS could work with the IDE adapter for some reason so I had to do their pre-installed routine for all of them and install the software manually which was a royal pain.

    The toshiba's are now running Vista again unfortunatly and another of them even blue screens every time the XP installer loads both from CD and PXE, lush!

    So now i'm buying VAIO's for a while as they have some decent hardware and their business models are quite competetivly priced which amazed me.

    None of that will have been any help I'm sure

  7. #7
    contink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,791
    Thank Post
    303
    Thanked 327 Times in 233 Posts
    Rep Power
    118

    Re: Laptop recommendation needed (vista business - downgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by Scruff
    So now i'm buying VAIO's for a while as they have some decent hardware and their business models are quite competetivly priced which amazed me.

    None of that will have been any help I'm sure
    Heh... well I have to say my experience of Vaio's went the other way... I've been less than impressed with their "XP? What's that?" approach to anything even remotely new so they're off my list... Still n'all that was for personal use but it hasn't been fun.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Blackpool
    Posts
    102
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Laptop recommendation needed (vista business - downgraded)

    The Fujitsu-Siemens Laptops Vista Biz machines come with a twin boot DVD which contains a full downgrade install including all the drivers. They say that it installs the XP-Pro faster from this DVD than it takes the vista biz to install of the pre-install on the HDD!!

  9. #9
    Quackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,347
    Thank Post
    40
    Thanked 145 Times in 120 Posts
    Rep Power
    54

    Re: Laptop recommendation needed (vista business - downgraded)

    Quote Originally Posted by contink
    Vaio's, Acers, etc... seem to be out in this respect because they've gone out of their way not to provide XP drivers but I've found Lenovo's seem to be properly supported...
    I found Acer's responce quite poor when i phoned up and asked where the XP Drivers were for a new laptop

    He asked "What model laptop is it"
    i gave him the model
    he replyed "we've never sold that model with XP only Vista so we do not supply XP Drivers, you'll have to note down the hardware and try and find them manually on the internet"

    I did manage to find them, but it can not be difficult for acer to add them to there site.

  10. #10
    Scruff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lincs
    Posts
    137
    Thank Post
    16
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Laptop recommendation needed (vista business - downgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by contink
    Heh... well I have to say my experience of Vaio's went the other way... I've been less than impressed with their "XP? What's that?" approach to anything even remotely new so they're off my list... Still n'all that was for personal use but it hasn't been fun.
    I think it was the VGN-N38E/W model I was buying with XP pre-installed and all is well, it's not the most powerful lad on the block but it's a solid machine and XP works very well, you're probably buying better equipment than I have the budget for

    I find the x-black displays a pleasure.

    Although saying all that i'm lucky as I don't have a laptop so I don't care if they're all crap tbh. Windows Mobile 5 FTW!

  11. #11
    contink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,791
    Thank Post
    303
    Thanked 327 Times in 233 Posts
    Rep Power
    118

    Re: Laptop recommendation needed (vista business - downgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by Scruff
    I think it was the VGN-N38E/W model I was buying with XP pre-installed and all is well, it's not the most powerful lad on the block but it's a solid machine and XP works very well, you're probably buying better equipment than I have the budget for
    I don't suppose by any stretch of the imagination that you have a disk for that do you? I have the N-38N/W version and I had to ferret everything off the N11 downloads. You'd be saving my life if you do!.

    I find the x-black displays a pleasure.
    Oh it looks nice but the mousepad drives me potty... but I digress we're going off topic :P

  12. #12
    Scruff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lincs
    Posts
    137
    Thank Post
    16
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Laptop recommendation needed (vista business - downgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by contink
    I don't suppose by any stretch of the imagination that you have a disk for that do you? I have the N-38N/W version and I had to ferret everything off the N11 downloads. You'd be saving my life if you do!.
    I do indeed have one or two, Whats your favourite flavour ISO or Posted ?

  13. #13
    contink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,791
    Thank Post
    303
    Thanked 327 Times in 233 Posts
    Rep Power
    118

    Re: Laptop recommendation needed (vista business - downgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by Scruff
    Quote Originally Posted by contink
    I don't suppose by any stretch of the imagination that you have a disk for that do you? I have the N-38N/W version and I had to ferret everything off the N11 downloads. You'd be saving my life if you do!.
    I do indeed have one or two, Whats your favourite flavour ISO or Posted ?
    ISO would be just fine thanks... If you could PM an address that'd be much appreciated

  14. #14
    Scruff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lincs
    Posts
    137
    Thank Post
    16
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Laptop recommendation needed (vista business - downgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by contink
    ISO would be just fine thanks... If you could PM an address that'd be much appreciated
    Well I just went through the box and it appears there is no such disc, you have to create your own recovery media which has all the drivers and whatnot, which is 2 DVD-Rs worth of rubbish.

  15. #15
    contink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,791
    Thank Post
    303
    Thanked 327 Times in 233 Posts
    Rep Power
    118

    Re: Laptop recommendation needed (vista business - downgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by Scruff
    Well I just went through the box and it appears there is no such disc, you have to create your own recovery media which has all the drivers and whatnot, which is 2 DVD-Rs worth of rubbish.


    Ok... well thanks anyway, guess I'm going to need to make a phone call.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Am I limited to Vista business only?
    By Oops_my_bad in forum Windows Vista
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11th September 2007, 10:59 AM
  2. VPN Connection in Vista Business
    By adamf in forum Windows Vista
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 14th August 2007, 07:50 PM
  3. I need a laptop recommendation
    By beeswax in forum Recommended Suppliers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2nd July 2007, 07:22 PM
  4. Downgrade Vista Business To XP Pro
    By in forum Windows Vista
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 25th May 2007, 01:12 PM
  5. Vista Business Media
    By thom in forum Windows Vista
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 18th April 2007, 10:15 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •