+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Lenovo Z585 WiFi Issues! in Technical; Hi I'm posting on this forum after having no help from Lenovo themselves or their forum. My Lenovo Z585 is ...

Thank Post

Lenovo Z585 WiFi Issues!

Hi
    I'm posting on this forum after having no help from Lenovo themselves or their forum.
    My Lenovo Z585 is brand new. It's internal Wifi adapter is an Atheros AR9485WB-EG and I have an external Edimax Edimax EW-7811UN.
    I am not the only user with problems there are many other on the forums without real answers.
    Basically the laptop has intermittent connection problems (no other devices on the network have these issues). The signal meter is very low never really getting to 4 bars. Connection speed is slow (using a speed test website the upload download sometimes can be >1mbit).
    The disconnections are at random.
    What I have tried:
    -Updating drivers: Wireless, Energy Management Drivers/software
    -Downgrading Drivers: Wireless, energy management
    -Windows: Fresh installs of 8 and 8.1
    -Tried external usb adapter: Connection speed higher but still getting random disconnections where computer reports no wireless devices (like the adapter has switched off). Not understanding why this happens on an external adapter too?! Also some USB Ports only report MY access point and no others and some dont respond with the adapter at all. Oddly signal starts at full bars then drops and drops to nothing at all.
    - Turned all power saving schemes off
    -Turned off IPv6
    - All Drivers up to date or rolled back to test

Wanted to return the laptop but by the time I had finished 'troubleshooting' with Lenovo (eg: make sure wireless adapter is switched on!) however now my laptop is at the end of my 30 day return period.
    I have heard stories where laptops have been returned for repair to lenovo and you get a like for like laptop (mine is mint not even removed plastic wrapping lol)

What do I do?! I've never bought a new laptop before as I've only normally bought second hand but I treated myself to this laptop with a pretty ok specification and I am regretting it!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I suspect it could be the 8.1 that may have done it. If 8.1 installed reference drivers the may not be up to task. Similarly if you rolled back to W8 drivers they to may not be fully up to task with 8.1. You can either see if Lenovo have release newer 8.1 versions or download the 8.1 reference drivers from Atheros (if available).

Thank Post
    I should have explained I've only just installed Windows 8.1. Its had identical issues with Windows 8 (which came pre-installed) since I bought it so thats 2 or 3 months ago.

Thank Post
    Really need some help people.. laptop is as good as useless might as well just not have any form of networking. Lenovo support has pretty much dried up and I feel totally let down as a consumer!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread