+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Solid state drives in Technical; I have been toying with the idea of getting some SSDs for one of our ICT rooms but have been ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Solid state drives

I have been toying with the idea of getting some SSDs for one of our ICT rooms but have been a bit under decided on brand etc and have heard that if you don't use all of the drive it will last long etc

I would just like to know what other people think and if they have tried them what problems have you had etc

Kev

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Had some issues with some early model of OCZ (although always replaced at the factory without hassle).
    Intel and Crucial have been faultless.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have also head good reports with Intel. I think @zag uses a number of solid state drives, he will be able to contribute.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    Been using Kingston and Crucial 64 and 128gb ones for just over a year now and no probs so far

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've just installed 70 Kingston SSD Now V300's.

Thank Post
    We're running 150+ SSDs now, I don't bother building any new machines without them so they're factored into all quotes and pricing I get. Vast majority are Crucial M4s - think I had one DOA but the rest have been great in use. I tend to buy reconditioned PCs, so I can choose not to include a mechanical HDD to save a few quid there.

I'd highly recommend going this way - even with old kit (got some Intel 950GM chipset laptops which are only SATA 1 - still run nicely as long as AHCI is supported).

Thank Post
    I've got/had 120 ocz vertex 2 drives and had 3 failures in 3 years . Now have 200 vertex 4 drives and had one die in one week out of 1 and half years . New ocz vector drive got 200 drives and no issues in last 6 months so far . All have 5 year warranty and in bulk work out 50p per gig . Have started upgrading staff laptops now all machines are done . Well worth the upgrade , teachers think they have new laptop now. Next plan is SSD SAN

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,707 Times in 1,998 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xenonive View Post
    All have 5 year warranty
    The warranty is not going to be of much use when OCZ files for bankruptcy. It's not looking good for them.

Is OCZ on its last legs? « IT World

OCZ's competitors are diversified companies with many product lines, while OCZ makes just SSDs, so it doesn't have a more profitable product line on which to fall back. But it's also a matter of management. OCZ has had a tremendous cash burn rate. Even though it raised more than $200 million in cash from their IPO and other offerings, they have burned through it all.

The company has just $10 million in the bank, and that's after taking out a $30 million loan from Hercules Technology Growth Capital with what one writer on Seeking Alpha called "loanshark-like terms." The interest rate is higher than 15%, and if OCZ can't pay it back, then Hercules gets the entire company for $30 million, because OCZ put itself up as collateral.

Schmitt said the company's break-even point was about $110 million. The company just reported $33 million in revenue last quarter. The math is not in OCZ's favour. Plus it's being sued by investors over its past accounting practices, which some felt hid how much money it was losing.

9. 2 Thanks to Arthur:

xenonive (24th October 2013), zag (24th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info , maybe someone big like WD will buy them for the tech.

Thank Post
    Sandisk, cheap as chips, doesn't need to have stellar performance (it's only for school use after all, the biggest difference comes from the almost zero latency anyway) 64gb drives at about £36-38 each. Got quite a few of those, also got quite a few OCZ Agility 3s back when they were on offer but i wouldn't really recommend OCZ. Intel have the lowest failure rate of any SSD manufacturer but that's also at a cost because they aren't the cheapest.

Only had to return one out of 90 sandisk drives so far, came back pretty quick, didn't deal with the RMA myself though so not sure what the steps were.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We've had very good results with Samsung, to the point of buying several boxes of them earlier this year. Their support for the single unit we had to RMA (an older 830) was nothing short of awesomely fast and easy.
    We've had multiple failures of Sandisk and Corsair. (they were older Sandisk units, weighed a ton. The newer ones we've had since are fine)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,919 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We go for Sandisk here most of the time. (My machine has a Kingston in it, as it works very well for me).

Not had any issues yet.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I have also head good reports with Intel. I think @zag uses a number of solid state drives, he will be able to contribute.
    Yep we have 500+ intel SSD's in clients and servers.

Not one single problem in 3 years with any of them.

Thank Post
    Only used SSD's personally, but I have a Samsung 840 Pro and it is like lightening. I went with Samsung as they seem to be deemed as one of the most reliable brands out there. I'd never ever go back to a regular HD for my O/S.

Thank Post
    Hi,

Samsung have just launched the 2nd gen SSD, the SSD 840 EVO.

These are great for PC upgrades and have plenty of powerful features like; increased speed, Rapid Mode, TurboWrite and security to name a few. Take a look here for all the info.

Let me know if you want me to arrange a quote or would like to talk to someone about your requirements.

Liz

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast