+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Solid state drives in Technical; Originally Posted by Stone_Liz Hi, Samsung have just launched the 2nd gen SSD, the SSD 840 EVO. These are great ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone_Liz View Post
    Hi,

Samsung have just launched the 2nd gen SSD, the SSD 840 EVO.

These are great for PC upgrades and have plenty of powerful features like; increased speed, Rapid Mode, TurboWrite and security to name a few. Take a look here for all the info.

Let me know if you want me to arrange a quote or would like to talk to someone about your requirements.

Liz
    Not sure if this is the case but looking at the reviews for the samsung 840 pro versus the 840 evo's, the Pro versions seem to be faster @Stone_Liz

I would say Samsung, Intel or crucial and void OCZ

Thank Post
    I can vouch for the 840 ranges; they are a safe bet ; we have been integrating these disks in a good proportion of our systems over the last year and have been impressed.

The Samsung Evo drive is based on TLC Nand flash as has superseded standard Samsung 840 (Though the EVO is at a slightly higher pricepoint than the old 840 - Cheeky Monkeys!)
    @Stone_Liz is correct in saying the EVO drives are great value for upgrades, a good SSD overview of Evo is here A closer look at RAPID DRAM caching on the Samsung 840 EVO SSD - The Tech Report - Page 1 . As the drive has SSD Write cache the write speeds are really quick for the price point.

The 840 PRO is MLC which has a better write endurance than 840 EVO TLC, hence likely why 840 EVO has 3Yr warranty vs. PRO of 5Yr Warranty.

If you are looking to buy a system often the manufacturer will warrant the machine for 5yr, so the EVO may make good sense if buying a warranted system. If buying as a component then a 5yr warranty on the disk may be more attractive (Samsung 840 PRO)

In terms of disk vendor - I concur with @mac_shinobi

If you have the budget Intel 330 / 520, Samsung 840EVO or PRO or Crucial M500 - If money is tight consider a Kingston V300.
    Avoid the value line’s vendors do such as 3Gbps versions of drives or low cost variants of their mid/premium line SSD, if you are getting 120GB 6Gbps for sub £40 there will be a reason , the Flash will likely be of a cheaper variant and performance/reliability will suffer.

Samsung also do an OEM version of the 840 called PM841 which is an MLC version of the standard 840 meaning it has a better write endurance. We eagerly awaiting the OEM version launch of the EVO but will have to wait and see what is released/ what the price will be.

3. Thanks to VeryPC_Andy from:

mac_shinobi (30th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have about 260 SSDs on our network now, just over half our install footprint; we upgraded 150 odd machines with them this summer instead of purcashing new PCs because they make such a difference to performance. I can't recall having any problems with any of them in over a year of having them rolled out in quantity. All new PCs will have them in as standard for us now.

We had Crucial m4 128Gb drives in the batch of new Stone PCs we got in 2012 on a motherboard with a SATA6 port. This summer we bought Samsung 840 120Gb drives, and if I were buying now, I would get them or the 840 EVO - the Pro is complete overkill for a school machine.

120Gb is sufficient for our biggest install (hot swap machines with all the software on) with space spare; if you can leave 25% spare you will increase the life of an SSD, but honestly, the low level of writes you are going to get on a school machine, I wouldn't worry about it. It's worth bearing in mind for servers but for a classroom PC just partition & format the entire capacity and don't worry about it. It's true that TLC NAND has lower endurance than MLC, but it's still at such a high level it is all but irrelevant for your scenario here.

Thank Post
    We have fitted 70+ Samsung 840 drives, higher iops than other brands

6. Thanks to Danp from:

mac_shinobi (30th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts
    I can't edit my last post but I was trying to say avoid OCZ, Thanks @VeryPC_Andy

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12