+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, I will not beaten by a label printer!! in Technical; Our entry system has a label printer attached to it via USB (Seiko smart label printer 440). This week it ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I will not beaten by a label printer!!

Our entry system has a label printer attached to it via USB (Seiko smart label printer 440).

This week it has been reporting a no paper error, even though there's a whole roll there. I did all the usual checks, it'll work for a short time then the error returns. I contacted the company thinking there was a faulty sensor and they sent me a new printer, but the error is still there.

So i've uninstalled, reinstalled, installed new drivers, new rolls of paper and changed the USB cable. Still cant get the sucker to work!!!

Any suggestions?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,624 Posts
    @Little-Miss
    Probably a stupid question - but the only thing that remains the same is the paper rolls - are you sure that they are the correct size and weight for the label printer? I wonder if it is just not sensing them. We had something similar once with a printer when the school bought very cheap labels.

3. Thanks to witch from:

Little-Miss (17th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nope not stupid! Especially as i think the labels have to be a particular kind because they have black lines on the back which i guess helps it line up.

I shall go investigate this further! The office ladies deal with this bit so will go see if they noticed any difference.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Riddle me this then people:

Label printer constantly complaining there are no labels
    I do everything i would normally do to troubleshoot a printer
    Give up, come here. Witch suggests something quite feasible
    contact company, they send new labels, issue still stands
    they send chap out, chap (does what i did) "fixes" it, 3 hours later issue back
    company comes out again, replaces touch screen (had issues anyway), printer and USB lead
    Issue again next day
    company tells me it's definately the labels cus other schools now have the problem and that sorted it
    sent new labels
    issue still there...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,902 Times in 1,315 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Riddle me this then people:

Label printer constantly complaining there are no labels
    I do everything i would normally do to troubleshoot a printer
    Give up, come here. Witch suggests something quite feasible
    contact company, they send new labels, issue still stands
    they send chap out, chap (does what i did) "fixes" it, 3 hours later issue back
    company comes out again, replaces touch screen (had issues anyway), printer and USB lead
    Issue again next day
    company tells me it's definately the labels cus other schools now have the problem and that sorted it
    sent new labels
    issue still there...
    I'm not saying it's aliens... but it's probably a faulty sensor. [The new one could be from a dodgy batch.]

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Heap, see it all the time, several hundred currency unit printer offer by an optical or mechanical sensors that someone cheaped out on and saved 3 cents on by buying from china rather than Japan. Not limited to printer either, faulty caps on motherboards or even a 35cent resistor that killed my radiator thanks to counterfeit bits from china.

Could also be a flat out bad design and there is just a bit of dust in a sensor, I'd demand a replacement with new labels and let them test your dodgy one off site.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Hmmm - could be a dodgy batch of sensors I suppose.
    However, I would ask for another replacement or more tech time as they themselves have said it was the labels and even sent you out new ones and yet it still doesn't work. So their own solution hasnt solved the problem - what are they going to do now?
    Keep pushing

Thank Post
    We have a similar issue with a Brother QL-570 label printer. It only happens with the first label on the roll. Once its recognised and working, the whole roll works fine.
    To get round this, I have to open the label cover, and press in the sensor which tells it the label cover is closed, then push the label through manually, just a little bit when it will then grab it and take it all the way through.
    Yes, its fiddly and no, it shouldn't happen, but it does and this is what works for me.

Also, I've had some success by cutting about a quarter of the first label in the roll off with a pair of scissors, before inserting it into the printer - when you close the lid it feeds out the cut label and stops ready to print on the next (whole) label.

I don't know if you can do anything similar with the Seiko printer?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information