+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, HP Lefthand SAN and VSS Snapshots for Backup in Technical; I was wondering if someone could give me a basic overview on how this is supposed to be structured as ...

Thank Post

HP Lefthand SAN and VSS Snapshots for Backup

I was wondering if someone could give me a basic overview on how this is supposed to be structured as I'm struggling to get it to work. The help files are good on details, but give very little information on how to structure the volumes and data.

I have 6 HP Lefthand P4300G2 SANs connected to a cluster of 4 Windows 2012 servers running Hyper-V.

I am trying to set up a new backup using either Veeam or DPM. I have the Application Aware Snapshot Manager Installed on the Hyper-V Servers, and it is authenticating correctly to the SANs.

This is the point where I think I may have made a mistake with the setup - The SANs are hosting a single 40TB volume which is shared to the Server Cluster over iSCSI. This works fine, and all my Virtual Servers are held on this 40TB volume.

When I try and take a backup using either Veeam or DPM, I get an 'out of space# error in the event log, see below:

HP LeftHand VSS Provider: Failed to take snapshot during CommitSnapshots , 0x80001010 - Sending Multiple Operation Failed: Insufficient space to make the requested change.

Is the SAN trying to snapshot the entire 40TB volume and is this why it fails? Should I have created a separate volume for each virtual server. If so, that seems like a lot of work to manage, especially as the volumes are connected using MPIO.

There is 9TB of unallocated space on the SANs and the server I am trying to backup is only about 100GB. Do I need to allocate this space in some way maybe?

Does anyone have Veeam or DPM working using HP Lefthand SANs? How did you structure it?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    The error is clear, there is no space on the san for snapshot.
    The space used for snapshot is allocated on snapshot creation during the backup, as a % of volume to be snapp-ed so i thing 10 to 20% of the 40GB ( do not remember if on lefthand the snapshot are thin provisioned so maybe it is not the case ).
    But in every case tre must be unallocated space on san.
    you can set up the volume as thin provisioned ( at any time ) so that only the space used ( even once so delete do no reclaim the unused blocks ) wil be allocated.
    Even this i do not feel confident using a single 40TB volumes for all VM, i often use volumes between 1 and 2 TB, shared between multiple VM ( i do nor find an hand limit on this ) and this has several advantages:
    - corruption of 1 csv don not impact all vm
    - lack on free space on one csv do impact all vm
    - the snapshot are tiniest.
    - less backup running concurrentry on the same csa ( better )

using thin provisioning give you the option to create other volumes and move the vm one by one.
    I'm positive that this will solve your backup problem.

PS:i allocate a given percentage of space as a non thin provisioned volume NOT used to have readiliy available usable space in case the abuse of thin provisioning cause an overallocation of space.

Best regards.

- - - Updated - - -

The error is clear, there is no space on the san for snapshot.
    The space used for snapshot is allocated on snapshot creation during the backup, as a % of volume to be snapp-ed so i thing 10 to 20% of the 40GB ( do not remember if on lefthand the snapshot are thin provisioned so maybe it is not the case ).
    But in every case tre must be unallocated space on san.
    you can set up the volume as thin provisioned ( at any time ) so that only the space used ( even once so delete do no reclaim the unused blocks ) wil be allocated.
    Even this i do not feel confident using a single 40TB volumes for all VM, i often use volumes between 1 and 2 TB, shared between multiple VM ( i do nor find an hand limit on this ) and this has several advantages:
    - corruption of 1 csv don not impact all vm
    - lack on free space on one csv do impact all vm
    - the snapshot are tiniest.
    - less backup running concurrentry on the same csa ( better )

using thin provisioning give you the option to create other volumes and move the vm one by one.
    I'm positive that this will solve your backup problem.

PS:i allocate a given percentage of space as a non thin provisioned volume NOT used to have readiliy available usable space in case the abuse of thin provisioning cause an overallocation of space.

Best regards.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread