Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Laser printer lifespans in Technical; Anyone got any idea of the lifespan of a Lexmark Optra laser printer? Ours are approximately seven years old and ...

Thank Post

Laser printer lifespans

Anyone got any idea of the lifespan of a Lexmark Optra laser printer? Ours are approximately seven years old and run into the ground.

They have printed anywhere between 7000 & 17000 pages over their lifespan but all seem to be having faults with their NVRAM or they will only accept maybe ten sheets of paper without calling a phantom paper jam.

Overall, they are nice printers - 25,000 page cartridges at roughly £80 a time, print quality is great, and the drum appears to be integrated into the cartridge but when I'm spending half my life trying to reset them, and the other half waiting for Fujitsu to bring me a replacement, I get a bit annoyed.

Added to that, the replacements are 2nd-user units from another Fuj contract and they are not being properly refurbished. The only work being done to them is our local Fuj engineers fixing the initial problem as best they can (they are not trained Lexmark engineres, but they do their best). So we tend to find that the replacements fail after about six to eight months.

What I would really like is to be able to say "Look, these printers are beyond their economic life. As they are an integral part of the contract I feel some or all should be refreshed with high-quality replacements, else we cannot really do our jobs in the school." But in order to do that, I need to be able to prove it.

Anyone got any ideas (other than me not rambling on so much...)?

Thank Post

Re: Laser printer lifespans

RE the paper jams: Try buying a tin of Platenclene from AF - it makes the rollers sticky again - brilliant stuff (although pricey)!!!

I tend to buy second user HP 4050tn printers - they just keep going for ever but that's of no use to you.

Thank Post

Already got & tried Ric (only computer supply I've ever bought that came with a chemical hazard safety sheet!). Works occasionally on a couple of them, but then a week later they're back to jamming.

I'd love to get some nice Epsons in, but the SMT are reluctant to pay for printers when they are part of the managed service, and I can't say I blame them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

If you could then I would say Kyocera printer, much more expensive especially colour but no messing around with drum kits or fuser oil every few terms (300,000 page life or 3 year on the drum) very good shame the price isn't kinder to the pocket but you can't have everything!

Wes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I try and get laser printers replaced after 5 years as a rule of thumb.

Thank Post

Sorry?
    They have printed anywhere between 7000 & 17000 pages over their lifespan but all seem to be having faults with their NVRAM or they will only accept maybe ten sheets of paper without calling a phantom paper jam.

Overall, they are nice printers - 25,000 page cartridges
    70k - 170k?

I've got an HP 4050 that has done light duty in 4 1/2 years, and its getting very "clunky". Still works, but... 5 years seems reasonable.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts

I asked the three other school techies that I know and the answer was that they didn't think that a laser would last much beyond 5 years if it was well used.
    Would it be worth asking Lexmark what can be done or if it is worth doing?
    I know they probably don't have engineers but someone there should know the product from a technical point of view

Thank Post

Ok, thanks for all your replies. I'll send an e-mail to Lexmark asking their opinion (although they'll probably try & sell me new printers...), and then I'll take it forward to Fujitsu.

RobC

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread