+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Which UPS? in Technical; Right people, here's a quick one for you. I'm after knowing what size ups and what it powers. We're looking ...

Thank Post

Which UPS?

Right people,

here's a quick one for you. I'm after knowing what size ups and what it powers.

We're looking for a UPS to run 8-9 servers, a procurve 5406zl with 2 24 port copper gig nuits and a fibre mini gbic with 8 modules in, as well as our external ait auto loader.

I've been looking at the 10kva APC UPS the rackmount that can have extra batteries added later.

Does anyone have anyother recommendations as to UPS?

Cheers,

Ste

PS out total wattage of all devices added together is 5800 watts, but we've got another admin server to go in to that.

Thank Post

Re: Which UPS?

Check out the calculator on the APC website... you select the make and model of your equipment and it gives you a cheap, medium and expensive option.

I have a 7.5kVA Smart-UPS RT with extra batteries and that has plenty of capacity left and can support 13 servers, 3 switches, 2 SANs and more. Runtime is 25mins!

Thank Post

Well the APC Selector has given us 3 options. The cheapest being the Smart UPS RT 10kva plus to battery packs at £4283, the next option is APC Smart-UPS VT rack mounted 30kVA 400V w/3 batt mod. exp. to 5, w/PDU & startup, this weighs in at £11k so is way out of our grip.

Do you think the 10kva one will suffice?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries

We have 2 5kVA Smart-UPS's - one loaded for our phone system (so, our 5406zl (with 4 modules), and the phone server on) and everything else on the other (4 1U rackmount dual core, dual processor servers with 6 HDD's in each, 2 4U servers (cheap and cheerful) and a few other bits and pieces). The runtime of the first is a couple of hours, the second is about 25 - 35 minutes.

I'd say your 10kva one would suffice.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

MGE are supposed to be good there is some kind of merger between them and APC.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by nicholab
    MGE are supposed to be good there is some kind of merger between them and APC.
    Yes, there was a merger fairly recently. From talking to someone at mge my understanding is that in europe for competition reasons there has been some consolidation of products in the two companies' portfolios. You'll get that anyway with major mergers but the way that APC can now sell the two brands is a bit bizarre. It seems MGE and APC sales staff are now pushing the APC gear in the mid to high end, and there's a seperate division for the smaller MGE kit (the single phase smb kit primarily)

Go to http://www.mgeops.com/ to find info on the products that are likely to interest anyone on this site.

The comet EX RT 5-7.5 KVA three phase is my recommendation. For loads of more than 5KVA I would recommend three phase. You've got to hard wire above about 3KVA anyway so might aswell wire three-phase from the distribution supply to the ups, and then single phase to the racks.

Although APC is the market leader in the ups space those who know say their hardware is inferior to that of the other big three - emerson/liebert, eaton, and MGE. APC are just better at marketing I suppose. Oh and Eaton have much better software than APC aswell.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

I would go for a Liebert or MGE, for the simple reason that if the UPS detects a fault with itself then it doesnt just turn off. I have had APCs that have had a glitch with themselves and then just turn themselves off for that reason and taking the stuff off with them as they wont turn off and run on battery the shut the whole shabang down!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

MGE do a power option that mean you can tack the UPS out but switch over to standard power (Manuel Switch). We got a Pulsar M series with 1 extra battery unit but you can have up to 3.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information