+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Digital Studio Spec in Technical; We are about to create a digital studio and so lets have ideas on specs for the pc that is ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Digital Studio Spec

We are about to create a digital studio and so lets have ideas on specs for the pc that is going in it.

We have got quite a decent sized budget for this so project so go lets ahve ideas..

Russell

Thank Post

Re: Digital Studio Spec

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    We are about to create a digital studio and so lets have ideas on specs for the pc that is going in it.

We have got quite a decent sized budget for this so project so go lets ahve ideas..

Russell
    Buy a Macpro.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

lol

Lets not got there for various reason we are going pc route.

Any mention of mac vrs pc please put in the 1000000000 other threads on this subject

Russell

Thank Post

What sort of studio? Music or video (or both)? Either way, you'll want a new, fast machine with at least 2GB of RAM. If video editing, you might want to look at a system with RAID 0 striping for increased performance (put the OS on a separate disk, though, and get a proper hardware RAID controller if you can afford it).

What sort of things are you going to want to plug into this machine? You'll probably want a memory card reader to read stuff off digital camera. You might want to check you've got a firewire port to plug digital cameras into (although personally I think I'd go for HDD or DVD cameras as they look like less fuss to use). An external soundcard for use with microphones is probably a good idea - internal ones always seem to pick up interference (they're dead cheap, you can get them from Argos).

If video editing, a dual (or triple) screen setup might well be a good idea. Special stands are available that can carry two or three screens. I have three screens at home, and am having a bit of trouble getting my PC to work properly with two dual-head video cards (one PCI, one PCI express). It's probably a good idea to make sure your PC's motherboard has two (or more) 16X PCI Express slots (the average is one 16X, one 4X or 1X slot).

A MIDI card would be needed to plug most musical instruments into, although you can now get direct USB musical keyboards. Get a DVD writer than can handle dual-layer disks and Lightscribe, so you can etch snazzy-looking CD/DVD labels. Get a printer that can print directly onto CD/DVD and special media for jewel cases and DVD boxes.

If you're really going to town, might as well go for a DVD duplicator and printer (around £800).

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It is both a music and video editing.

The keyboard and micropgones etc being sorted out by music teacher.

I like idea of having duel monitors in it and also might look to buy a hdd digital camera.

As for memoory we are going tp put in as much as we can with out sending it to moon in terms of price.

Keep the ideas coming

Thank Post

> The keyboard and micropgones etc being sorted out by music teacher.

It might be an idea to provide external, portable recording facilities in the form of a digital audio recorder or minidisc recorder. If doing so, provide cables ready to plug them in with already attached to the PC. Cable tie the damn things in place. It's disheartening to come back to a PC that's been all set up to do lots of snazzy stuff, only to find that no one uses it to do anything because all the cables have been "borrowed" for something else.

You can get stuff like computer-controlled minidisc decks. These are probably now just over-priced contraptions that you won't get much use out of. I've also seen a studio PC with a MIDI-controlled "voice generator". I don't know enough about music to know exactly what it did, but I get the impression it was nothing you can't now do with a MIDI keyboard or decent mixing software.

> I like idea of having duel monitors in it and also might look to buy a
    > hdd digital camera.

Try and find a camera with external microphone and headphone sockets. It just makes things /so/ much more professional-seeming when you can get decent sound. A portable microphone boom is a good investment - you can then set up a couple of pupils as a proper camera team, with one doing audio and the other video.

If you find a good, cheap camera that has a microphone socket, please tell me. No DVD/HDD ones sold in this country these days seem to have one. Might have to import one from the USA or Israel.

I found dual monitors got on my nerves, with the split in the middle, that's why I got a third.

> As for memoory we are going tp put in as much as we can with out
    > sending it to moon in terms of price.

Caution: recently bought a motherboard with 4GB of RAM from eBay for a good price, only to discover that the motherboard was only capable of using 2GB of that RAM due to it being the cheaper "double layer" RAM rather than the more expensive "single layer" stuff. You might want to check if stuffing a motherboard with the maximum amount of RAM it says it will support.

> Keep the ideas coming

Lots and lots of cables. Firewire for the camera, stereo for speakers and line-in. An optical aduio in/out is probably a good idea (and standard on most USB sound cards these days). I don't know if you can get combined USB soundcards/MIDI interfaces.

It might be an idea to get a set of headphones and a multi-way splitter rather than rely on speakers (depends on how isolated/soundproofed the studio is).

Most of your money is probably better spent on buying peripherals rather than on the PC itself. Turntables? Audio mixer to let you plug in lots of instruments and control the volume that then goes in to the PC?

Don't forget the software. Commercial sound / video editing software will easily cost you several times as much as the PC itself. If you're spending the money on a decent PC then Windows Movie Maker probably isn't quite going to cut it. Adobe Premier is the obvious choice, maybe the "elements" version would be the best idea, or for schools the Serif suite of software is very good value (and they'll send you a free evaluation copy to keep, too - you might even be able to use it on your studio PC if it's just one PC).

For digital video or photography, studio backdrops and/or lighting are always good. You can buy folding, erectable fabric screens or use large paper rolls. This can provide a solid-coloured backdrop for your videos, either a solid white "limbo" effect or a blue/green background for chromakey.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Blog Entries

What spec did you go with Russ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread