+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, dell server in Technical; first post for me. the problem is a new dell poweredge 1430 serverit will not load server 2003, if you ...
    Thank Post

dell server

first post for me. the problem is a new dell poweredge 1430 serverit will not load server 2003, if you use the server assitant it will go as far as copying the media from the windows disk then fail saying "an unknown error has occurred. the instalation cannot proceed" if you boot from the windows cd it will go as far as formating the hdd then stop saying that the disk has a fault or not installed. my gut feeling is that the hdd is faulty but dells diagnostic utility shows no problems with the hdd or any other component!!!!!!! dell have benn little to know help and do not want to do a site visit until they know what the problem is, but after 5-6 hours on the phone none of there "server experts" have clue what is causing the problem. any ideas out there or the bloody thing goes out the window!!!!
    P.S.
    xeon quad core 1.6ghz
    1gig memory
    160 gig sata hdd no RAID
    low spec i know but it is just to run sophos.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: dell server

Have you got the Dell Server Assistant disk? You may need to boot from this first. The disk will prep your hardware then ask for your Windows disk. Windows will fall over as it does not have all of the drivers built in.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries

Have you got another 2k3 cd you can try? It may be a damaged disc...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You will need to download this ISO image and create a CD from it. Boot it and follow the instructions. Just booting from a Windows disk with this hardware will NOT work.

http://support.euro.dell.com/support...&fileid=204011

Thank Post

Dos_Box. I have the server assistant disk and booted from that, the iso file in your link is the same as the disk supplied but i have tried that to(many times).
    LOCALZUK. I have tried three 2003 disks with the same result.
    cheers.

Thank Post

Have you tried a nother CD/DVD rom drive plugged in to the IDE slot, leave the server top open while trying to install.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You NEED to boot from the assistant disk. Set up your partitions, let it load the drivers and nessercery files to the recovery partition it creates then install from the Windows disk. Try and ensure you follow the instructions fully. If you miss a step it will lead to problems.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy
    first post for me. the problem is a new dell poweredge 1430 serverit will not load server 2003, if you use the server assitant it will go as far as copying the media from the windows disk then fail saying "an unknown error has occurred. the instalation cannot proceed" if you boot from the windows cd it will go as far as formating the hdd then stop saying that the disk has a fault or not installed. my gut feeling is that the hdd is faulty but dells diagnostic utility shows no problems with the hdd or any other component!!!!!!! dell have benn little to know help and do not want to do a site visit until they know what the problem is, but after 5-6 hours on the phone none of there "server experts" have clue what is causing the problem. any ideas out there or the bloody thing goes out the window!!!!
    P.S.
    xeon quad core 1.6ghz
    1gig memory
    160 gig sata hdd no RAID
    low spec i know but it is just to run sophos.
    Well the fact you're not using a RAID controller eliminates the most common install problem when installing direct from the Windows disk...RAID drivers.

Thank Post

This has happend to me. It turned out to be the cd that comes with the server not having /being the correct boot disk. I rang and they sent me over the driver for the sata controller and it worked (also formatted the disk with the hardware utility 1st)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I have found Dell's server support to be truly excellent. Give them a ring and they will almost certainly be able to sort it out.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries

Be aware though, there is seperate support numbers for the enterprise and peon level.

spent ages on hold to one, then straight through when i called the enterprise support

Thank Post

The support might be different- But over the half term holiday i spent several hours trying to get hold of anyone from their 'Schools team'... and i was trying to buy a server!! Went to HP instead :P

Thank Post

thanks to all the suggestions, just put a hdd in from a workstation and ran the install again and no problems, server up and running. so after three days of being told to try everything from point the the server to magnetic north to pray it was the hdd! i just hope that no one wants to use the workstaion in the sen room.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by richard.thomas
    The support might be different- But over the half term holiday i spent several hours trying to get hold of anyone from their 'Schools team'... and i was trying to buy a server!! Went to HP instead :P
    I agree, this seems to be where Dell falls down. Superb server support but like Richard I'm currently trying to place an order and their sales system is certainly seriously wanting.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread